Important rules and behaviours for driving in Thailand

Thaiger

Just now, Transam said:

I think you're on a wind-up.....😆

@Faraday did suggest this character was  trolling yesterday, so it seems he is right and we should all put him on ignore, I just have

1 minute ago, Transam said:

You have to do everything except the practical test...

I have just done my third 5 year one, I tell them I even have a UK HGV licence, makes no difference...

On a slight variation. We all know how appallingly inadequate the driver training and testing is in Thailand. Does anyone have any factual knowledge as to how the the Thai HGV training and testing differs from the car and motorcycle tests ?

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

On a slight variation. We all know how appallingly inadequate the driver training and testing is in Thailand. Does anyone have any factual knowledge as to how the the Thai HGV training and testing differs from the car and motorcycle tests ?

I think you sit on a higher chair when you're doing the multiple choice questions.
(sorry!)

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, gummy said:

Q1 Can you drive perilously fast?

Q2 Can you indicate & pull out at the same time?

Q3 Do you smoke yaba?

Three yes's & they pass.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Q1 Can you drive perilously fast?

Q2 Can you indicate & pull out at the same time?

Q3 Do you smoke yaba?

Three yes's & they pass.

I thought the 1st section of Q2 was entirely optional ?

Of course the rear view mirror is novelty for Thais, predominantly males.  There used to be jokes about women thinking the rear view mirror  was for putting on make up etc. Well Thai men seem to use it for seeing how much puss comes out whilst squeezing their zits. 

1 minute ago, Transam said:

Funny you should mention that, I was driving around this morning thinking about a blokes comments here, and thought, blimey, it is exactly 51 years ago I took my HGV test back home, the test took 2 hours, one and a half on the road, 30 minutes in the test station yard...😉

And it is even more stringent now in the UK.

3 hours ago, Transam said:

You have to do everything except the practical test...

I have just done my third 5 year one, I tell them I even have a UK HGV licence, makes no difference...

No you don’t. I am living proof you don’t 

or maybe I just imagined what happened to me and every Brit I know ? 

or then again maybe they just don’t like you ? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I did absolutely nothing barring colour blind cards - FACT!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Benroon said:

no no its got all confused - Fester claimed that EVERYONE had to go through a test and had done for years - I replied 'not for UK drivers' - I wasn't relating to driving in the UK

No I didn't claim that. That reference was regarding the eye and reaction tests, which I had to do when I got my first Thai license (with International Permit) and subsequent renewals of that.

Edited by Fester
added detail
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Benroon said:

No you don’t. I am living proof you don’t 

or maybe I just imagined what happened to me and every Brit I know ? 

or then again maybe they just don’t like you ? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I did absolutely nothing barring colour blind cards - FACT!

I would suggest it depends on location, like most government offices in Thailand.

I did :

Traffic lights 

Depth perception 

Braking reaction time 

Spacial awareness ?, coloured lights at right and left side of head.

Renewal of 5 year license.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I would suggest it depends on location, like most government offices in Thailand.

I did :

Traffic lights 

Depth perception 

Braking reaction time 

I would suggest that you are probably correct.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

in fact Thais are in general very considerate on the roads.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

They are the most inconsiderate drivers in the Milky Way, have you ever been to Thailand?

If a Thai flashes you he is not saying 'you first' he is saying get out of my way or I will kill you.

Thanks for the laugh anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I did :

Traffic lights 

Depth perception 

Braking reaction time 

Getting people to drive on the correct side of the road would seem sensible to me.  Who ever heard of shifting gears with their left hand. OK, if your a  southpaw, but most of us aren't. 

5 minutes ago, Fester said:

I would suggest that you are probably correct.

Yup, some find it hard to believe that what goes on at their DLT/Immigration/Amphur isn’t necessarily followed by the other 75 provinces in Thailand.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Getting people to drive on the correct side of the road would seem sensible to me.  Who ever heard of shifting gears with their left hand. OK, if your a  southpaw, but most of us aren't. 

Sweden changed in 1967 , but I think the rest have left it too late 😬

22 minutes ago, Transam said:

Oh, yes you do, at my test centre.  😊

Medical.

Traffic light Colour blind test.

Reaction test.

Coordination test, lining up 2 sticks about 10 feet away with an electronic key pad.

Watch a one hour long video .

I am English..🤭

Managed to avoid the VDO last time but recently watched the same (or I guess a similar) one for the online part of the "training" for my next renewal. One of the interruptor questions that comes up was something like "If you were intending to make a turn at the next junction, how far ahead would you start to indicate? I think the choice of answers was 5, 10 or 30 metres and their "correct" answer was 10, which is about one second of time at about 40 kph! Just part of the reason that the driving here is so bad!

NB: I kept putting in the maximum 30m answer and passed anyway! Tickety boo!

Edited by Fester
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Yup, some find it hard to believe that what goes on at their DLT/Immigration/Amphur isn’t necessarily followed by the other 75 provinces in Thailand.

They're prolly all different.  

3 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Sweden has a long record of automotive safety.  I know that  Volvo has many firsts that are now industry standards. 

This is about Thailand, who incidentally do drive on the correct side of the road, and for the life in me I cannot see them changing that just to please a few expats who happen to drive on right in their respective countries.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

I would have thought it is about driving in Thailand and almost every poster on this thread is a foreigner. So I'd include UK drivers.

It is very disturbing how many expats stay for years in Thailand and never get a Thai licence of any kind.....which means they are driving illegally

The UK falangs already know everything just ask them and the answer will be meatpie of something.

2 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

This is about Thailand, who incidentally do drive on the correct side of the road, and for the life in me I cannot see them changing that just to please a few expats who happen to drive on right in their respective countries.

Don't worry, put him on ignore like many of us have. Just a troll.

1 minute ago, LoongFred said:

The UK falangs already know everything just ask them and the answer will be meatpie of something.

You need a license to get insured.  When we bought a new car the sales person asked for my license and I showed the IDP. She insisted that I get a Thai license the following day.

24 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

OK I'll give you that one and get a automatic shifter. But it gets confusing when I reach for the turn signal lever and the windshield wipers go off.

1 hour ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I did :

Traffic lights 

Depth perception 

Braking reaction time 

Yep you’re probably right to be fair re location 

What’s ‘depth perception’ ? Or did you combine it with your diving licence ? 

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Yep you’re probably right to be fair re location 

What’s ‘depth perception’ ? Or did you combine it with your diving licence ? 

Depth perception is the “ 2 sticks in a box “ test , align one stick to the other by moving it backwards and forwards.

BF6999DF-E0EF-4B23-9D81-26C7407A745B.jpeg.fca6380182d0aebdc86d68c527ab6ccf.jpeg

• Like 1