Important rules and behaviours for driving in Thailand

Thaiger

14 minutes ago, Fester said:

Have for years.

Not for UK as explained. 

A friend from UK went to get his license, he was told he had to do the eye and reaction tests, followjg the tests, when they were processing his thai license he asked them what should he do with the international one, the girl checked it and said why didn't you say you had this before - you don't have to do the tests as neither did I. 

9 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Not for UK as explained. 

A friend from UK went to get his license, he was told he had to do the eye and reaction tests, followjg the tests, when they were processing his thai license he asked them what should he do with the international one, the girl checked it and said why didn't you say you had this before - you don't have to do the tests as neither did I. 

You mean you missed out on the one hour video, that most seem to have to suffer?

😀😀

4 minutes ago, Faraday said:

You mean you missed out on the one hour video, that most seem to have to suffer?

😀😀

Yes haha - my friend did the reaction test and they told him to slam on the brakes when they saw the bus (or whatever it was) so he did. Afterwards they said he had failed - stunned he asked why, they said because he didn't take his foot off the brake lolololololol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

I don't know if the two are connected - no-one checked mine. It it helps I have  non-o based on marriage.

I just presented my international license and that was it, they effectively swapped it for a thai license (and gave me a bike license same time even though I've never sat on one in my life) -

I think its based on the fact in the UK we drive on the same side of the road, so if you drive on the right you might still have to do the test.

Where do I get one from?

I know there is an office where people take their driving tests and where you pay for the annual car tax, the one which we display on the car windscreen, will that office be the place to get a Thai licence?

1 hour ago, Fester said:

Have for years.

How long is a Thai driving licence valid for, the ones which are given out for British driving licence holders?

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

I don't know if the two are connected - no-one checked mine. It it helps I have  non-o based on marriage.

I just presented my international license and that was it, they effectively swapped it for a thai license (and gave me a bike license same time even though I've never sat on one in my life) -

I think its based on the fact in the UK we drive on the same side of the road, so if you drive on the right you might still have to do the test.

When was it you did that and did you have to take an eye test and emergency stop test?

1 hour ago, Fester said:

I might have expected such diversion. The WHO summary does not talk about the actual topic much either, which I remind you concerns "important rules and behaviours for driving in Thailand"! Now if people could start off by following these rules and behaving considerately on the roads, then that would be a fine start. 

Unfortunately as people don't understand what road safety is, they can't understand ""important rules and behaviours for driving in Thailand" - the prime example of this is the OP itself which is so full of misconceptions and inaccuracies as to be virtually worthless.

if you believe that everyone else on the road apart from you is an idiot or that your are a "superb" driver, then you are on a hiding to nothing.

Edited by Khunwilko

3 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

behaving considerately

this is a culturally subjective phrase - in fact Thais are in general very considerate on the roads.

1 minute ago, Khunwilko said:

this is a culturally subjective phrase - in fact Thais are in general very considerate on the roads.

f one understands a bit about Thai culture and history of transport, then a lot of Iroad behaviour in Thailand makes sense.

On the whole though, if we were to believe everything the non-Thais posting on chat forums said,  we wold have to conclude that almost everyone is better than the average driver! Which is mathematically impossible...

¬¬¬¬I think detailed descriptions of other motorists and how “bad” driving is carried out in Thailand are seldom helpful as without analysis all they do is reinforce those peoples prejudices about driving in Thailand - i.e. blaming people or even the entire nation, rather than the underlying causes or themselves. There is also the temptation to attempt simplify matters by looking for one single main cause for the whole thing

Here are a few common truths about how motorists see themselves versus other road users

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

“The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.”

These were some observations resulting from research done by the Centre for Transport and Society - UK....

The public know that driver behaviour is a major contributory factor in the vast majority of road accidents...

(Cauzard, 2003)  - 

But there is a consistent view that OTHERS drive in a more risky manner than individuals themselves do 

(King and Parker, 2008)

It’s not just driving – older children and adolescents think they have good attitude and skills towards road safety but believe that others especially those in their peer group do not 

(Tolmie. 2006).

Individuals do not believe they are dangerous on the roads but at the same time fervently believe others are.

• I am not likely to be responsible for an accident; others are likely to be responsible. Therefore little I can do.

• Hence, less likely to need to “plan to avoid them”

• Campaigns aimed at dangerous driving are for “other” drivers not themselves. 

• Such campaigns re-emphasise this difference (2CV, 2008 and Flaming Research, 2008)

• The third-person effect (Davison, 1983). 

• High support for enforcement, engineering solutions and education 

• But not for themselves - for other people.

However, the Reality may be a long way from these benighted perspectives.

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

Not for UK as explained. 

This is about Thailand - not the UK.

1 hour ago, Khunwilko said:

f one understands a bit about Thai culture and history of transport, then a lot of Iroad behaviour in Thailand makes sense.

On the whole though, if we were to believe everything the non-Thais posting on chat forums said,  we wold have to conclude that almost everyone is better than the average driver! Which is mathematically impossible...

¬¬¬¬I think detailed descriptions of other motorists and how “bad” driving is carried out in Thailand are seldom helpful as without analysis all they do is reinforce those peoples prejudices about driving in Thailand - i.e. blaming people or even the entire nation, rather than the underlying causes or themselves. There is also the temptation to attempt simplify matters by looking for one single main cause for the whole thing

Here are a few common truths about how motorists see themselves versus other road users

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

“The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status, or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe that we are above-average drivers.”

These were some observations resulting from research done by the Centre for Transport and Society - UK....

The public know that driver behaviour is a major contributory factor in the vast majority of road accidents...

(Cauzard, 2003)  - 

But there is a consistent view that OTHERS drive in a more risky manner than individuals themselves do 

(King and Parker, 2008)

It’s not just driving – older children and adolescents think they have good attitude and skills towards road safety but believe that others especially those in their peer group do not 

(Tolmie. 2006).

Individuals do not believe they are dangerous on the roads but at the same time fervently believe others are.

• I am not likely to be responsible for an accident; others are likely to be responsible. Therefore little I can do.

• Hence, less likely to need to “plan to avoid them”

• Campaigns aimed at dangerous driving are for “other” drivers not themselves. 

• Such campaigns re-emphasise this difference (2CV, 2008 and Flaming Research, 2008)

• The third-person effect (Davison, 1983). 

• High support for enforcement, engineering solutions and education 

• But not for themselves - for other people.

However, the Reality may be a long way from these benighted perspectives.

I bet you never dreamed of driving a steam train.

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

When was it you did that and did you have to take an eye test and emergency stop test?

Did it this year, had to look at about 8 colour blind cards in reception whilst they were making the licence up, that was it.

39 minutes ago, Fester said:

This is about Thailand - not the UK.

Well the comment is about getting a Thai driving licence in Thailand so it is about Thailand. 

Don't farangs live in Thailand or are they not considered to be human?

4 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Did it this year, had to look at about 8 colour blind cards in reception whilst they were making the licence up, that was it.

Great, I will do it the next time I am there, thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, Benroon said:

Not for UK DRIVERS ! I would have thought that was obvious.

What about UK drivers who spend six months driving in the UK and six months driving in Thailand?

5 minutes ago, JamesR said:

What about UK drivers who spend six months driving in the UK and six months driving in Thailand?

Won't make a difference mate - ignore the comment you quoted from me - that was an answer to Fester who's doing his best to throw this thread off track.

If you get any hiccups when you do it - PM me - but its very straightforward and I was in and out in 20 minutes first appointment

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Not for UK DRIVERS ! I would have thought that was obvious.

I would have thought it is about driving in Thailand and almost every poster on this thread is a foreigner. So I'd include UK drivers.

It is very disturbing how many expats stay for years in Thailand and never get a Thai licence of any kind.....which means they are driving illegally

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Won't make a difference mate - ignore the comment you quoted from me - that was an answer to Fester who's doing his best to throw this thread off track.

If you get any hiccups when you do it - PM me - but its very straightforward and I was in and out in 20 minutes first appointment

Cheers

13 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

I would have thought it is about driving in Thailand and almost every poster on this thread is a foreigner. So I'd include UK drivers.

It is very disturbing how many expats stay for years in Thailand and never get a Thai licence of any kind.....which means they are driving illegally

If that is true then it is wrong for them to do that.

14 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

no no its got all confused - Fester claimed that EVERYONE had to go through a test and had done for years - I replied 'not for UK drivers' - I wasn't relating to driving in the UK

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Well the comment is about getting a Thai driving licence in Thailand so it is about Thailand. 

Don't farangs live in Thailand or are they not considered to be human?

From some comments here, there seems to be some doubt.