Important rules and behaviours for driving in Thailand

Thaiger

41 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

The point I'm making is the a lot of driving in Thailand makes more sense if you understand navigating a boat on a river.

Unfortunately you don't seem to understand that citing an incident doesn't actually make an argument. Basically it's a false syllogism and tangential to the point I was making. In fact I don't see what point you are even trying to make - However making a judgment as "loony" upon the deaths of 15 or so people seems rather insensitive.

I have many years of experience navigating rivers, lakes, canals, channels and oceans on boats of all shapes and sizes, powered and unpowered, globally. I've also driven several kinds of motor vehicles in numerous countries. This "incident" is just one example of many that occur in Thailand and Asia, due to poor skills and disregard of rules of the road, both on land and water - that is my point. 

And my use of the word "loony" was not attached to the sad example I offered, as well you know.

Edited by Fester
  • Like 1

1  Lighting is optional.

If you have lights they can be any colour you like.

A young kid in our town chose to change his motorbike headlight to red.  A ballsy move though not one I would recommend.

2.  Alcohol improves night vision and driving ability.

3.  No such thing as too much pressure in a motorcycle tyre.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fester said:

I have many years of experience navigating rivers, lakes, canals, channels and oceans on boats of all shapes and sizes, powered and unpowered, globally. I've also driven several kinds of motor vehicles in numerous countries. This "incident" is just one example of many that occur in Thailand and Asia, due to poor skills and disregard of rules of the road, both on land and water - that is my point. 

And my use of the word "loony" was not attached to the sad example I offered, as well you know.

You obviously have no idea what I'm talking about...so I'll give up on this part of the discussion.

• Like 1

It now will reduce to ridiculous personal anecdote and largely racist comments about Thai driving skills from people who have no idea about real road safety.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

It now will reduce to ridiculous personal anecdote and largely racist comments about Thai driving skills from people who have no idea about real road safety.

You can not discuss a specific subject if that subject does not exist, "Thai driving skills" being one of them.

1 hour ago, Khunwilko said:

You obviously have no idea what I'm talking about...so I'll give up on this part of the discussion.

OK. Your point must have got lost somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Khunwilko said:

Ha ha - the R card again - that didn't take too long (as usual).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gummy said:

You can not discuss a specific subject if that subject does not exist, "Thai driving skills" being one of them.

that says a lot more about your own driving knowledge than anything else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

that says a lot more about your own driving knowledge than anything else.

Really how do you figure that out or are you the author of the worlds thinnest book "Thai driving techniques", you know, the one with a front and back cover and nothing inbetween ?🤣🤣

What I find absolutely amazing is when you are turning right into another street, with indicator on, and you get T-boned from behind by a food delivery bike... and it's your fault and being reckless by turning! Totally justified as such by police as well!!!

Edited by Viggen840
Addition to quote
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, gummy said:

Really how do you figure that out or are you the author of the worlds thinnest book "Thai driving techniques", you know, the one with a front and back cover and nothing inbetween ?🤣🤣

I'm the nearest you'll ever find to that author. Pretty obvious you've never read the book, though.

Edited by Khunwilko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2021 at 5:21 AM, berrec said:

Very educational article. but just a pipe dream; forget about tourists and even expats.

In 35 years here in Thailand my observations of driving on the roads the majority of Thais rarely obey any of these rules.

That is even if they have a valid license; significant numbers drive with no licence or under the table purchased licenses. 

If you don't think my observations are valid just spend a day watching Thai driving habits.

I think Thailand's shocking annual road toll statistics speak to the problem of Thai driving habits.

The message to tourists should have been look out for Thai drivers as most don't observe or obey any of these listed road rules. 

Always drive defensively in Thailand and anticipate the exceptions of events and actions around you by Thai drivers and always be ready to react accordingly.

And never, never get angry as road rage can be terminal in Thailand.

Finally, pedestrian crossing are death traps here, never step onto one in traffic as Thai drivers rarely ever stop to allow people to cross. 

I agree as that has been my experience driving here since the 1980s. 

There is a highway called the Southern Highway running from Krabi to Surat Thani about 100kms long. 

There are not that many exit roads off the highway so if a driver lives on your side of the road they may drive down the wrong side of the road in order to take the exit, so as you are driving you see something coming towards you in the far distance. You realise it is a car as they do put their headlights on so you can see them coming towards you and they do drive in the left lane. 

It is fun. 😁

31 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I agree as that has been my experience driving here since the 1980s. 

There is a highway called the Southern Highway running from Krabi to Surat Thani about 100kms long. 

There are not that many exit roads off the highway so if a driver lives on your side of the road they may drive down the wrong side of the road in order to take the exit, so as you are driving you see something coming towards you in the far distance. You realise it is a car as they do put their headlights on so you can see them coming towards you and they do drive in the left lane. 

It is fun. 😁

Thainess and road safety are not compatible ideals.

2 minutes ago, Transam said:

Wearing a crash helmet inside your car may not be a bad idea in LOS...

Whilst wearing a VR headset underneath perhaps just so they can really be in a non reality

Since when has this been in force ??

A mates Mrs failed the crappy test 3 times before she got her licence & still she can't drive.

The legal age limit in Thailand in which to drive is 18 years old. And, in order to obtain a driving license in Thailand, potential drivers must take courses in a driving school before gaining a driving license.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Golden-Triangle said:

Since when has this been in force ??

A mates Mrs failed the crappy test 3 times before she got her licence & still she can't drive.

The legal age limit in Thailand in which to drive is 18 years old. And, in order to obtain a driving license in Thailand, potential drivers must take courses in a driving school before gaining a driving license.

I have seen how few hours you need and how poor the lessons are in Thai driving schools.

I was at a test centre as I was getting the annual tax thing you stick on your windscreen so I thought I would have a look.

The test area was a track, only one car on the track at a time. (Phuket).

You had to reverse into a parking space big enough for a bus, if you didn't get it right first time you could do it again and again.

You had to drive straight for about thirty meters, go around a tiny roundabout, stop on a tiny bridge and that was that, it took them five minutes, no driving test on a real road, the standard was appalling, a ten year old kid could pass.

But it did make me laugh.

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. 1
    PASSPORT WITH VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  2. 2
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)
  4. 4
    ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE (1949 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT IS N'T IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE)

PROCEDURE

IF YOU ARE DISQUALIFIED IN NO.4 - FULL STEP FOLLOWING
  1. 1
    CHECK THE DOCUMENTS
  2. 2
    PRINT THE APPLICATION FORM
  3. 3
    IF YOU ARE QUALIFIED IN NO.4 ->
    • * TAKE A TRAINING 1 HOURS
    • * TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST
    • TAKE A TRAINING 5 HOURS
    • TAKE A PHYSICAL TEST
    • TAKE A THEORY TEST
    • TAKE A PRACTICAL TEST
  4. 4
    PAY THE FEE / TAKE A PHOTO AND PRINT DRIVING LICENCE (Fee 205 baht for car, Fee 105 baht for motorcycle)

On 10/14/2021 at 7:32 AM, gummy said:

Whilst wearing a VR headset underneath perhaps just so they can really be in a non reality

Would you do that in the States? - the chances of being killed in your car are about the same.

2 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

Would you do that in the States? - the chances of being killed in your car are about the same.

Ask people that live there, may be more sensible thing to do. Are you Thai ?🙃

Besides the assholes driving right up to your bumper to get out of the way

I don't find driving in Thailand all that difficult 

Actually I don't find driving in any of the 20 odd countries all that difficult 

Just drive defensively and you will be fine 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 9:25 AM, Transam said:

Going by the thread heading.

Anyone coming to LOS for the first time and wants to drive, beware.........😲

I have been driving in LOS for many years, so I think the few points l make out maybe will be helpful.....

Firstly, I doubt anyone here has been taught to drive properly, as you were in farangland.

Your best friend is your nearside door mirror, check it is set properly.

Road signs, traffic lights, zebra crossings, well, many locals think they are a nuisance being there, so use their own rules, so do not take anything for granted that all is safe, keep your eyes "wide" open at all times.

Do buy a tyre pressure gauge, or be sure to point out the tyre pressures for your car, and see it is done correctly, trust me on that.

Drink-driving is pandemic, expect anything to happen on the roads.

Many riders on scooters cannot operate their brakes, why, they may have an umbrella, phone, baby or dog etc, using up one hand/arm, beware of these people.

A dash cam is very useful, as here it is rare for someone to admit their fault, plus it will sway the BiB from taking sides.

Rarely do folk give way, rarely do folk let you out of a turning, rarely do folk let you finish a three point turn, they rather risk a scrape, crazy stuff.

Be extra careful at U-turns, one of the most ridiculous road set-ups, a regular killer, perhaps one day they may consider the use of roundabouts...

Roundabout.jpg.492ac8d3cfa30bdc8baeeeb2b4cb4264.jpg

Let's be careful out there......😊

Helmet.webp.44ea8b0f6700bac0882b5d998e2c808e.webp

Good advice, don’t forget you can turn left at a red light. Flashing red lights mean you can go through but be careful 

Firstly, I doubt anyone here has been taught to drive properly, as you were in farangland.

Your best friend is your nearside door mirror, check it is set properly.

Road signs, traffic lights, zebra crossings, well, many locals think they are a nuisance being there, so use their own rules, so do not take anything for granted that all is safe, keep your eyes "wide" open at all times.

Do buy a tyre pressure gauge, or be sure to point out the tyre pressures for your car, and see it is done correctly, trust me on that.

Drink-driving is pandemic, expect anything to happen on the roads.

Many riders on scooters cannot operate their brakes, why, they may have an umbrella, phone, baby or dog etc, using up one hand/arm, beware of these people.

A dash cam is very useful, as here it is rare for someone to admit their fault, plus it will sway the BiB from taking sides.

Rarely do folk give way, rarely do folk let you out of a turning, rarely do folk let you finish a three point turn, they rather risk a scrape, crazy stuff.

Be extra careful at U-turns, one of the most ridiculous road set-ups, a regular killer, perhaps one day they may consider the use of roundabouts...

Spot on, top advice. 

Personally I enjoy driving here, even in and around Bangkok.  As Marc26 says one must drive defensively.

• Like 2

I think you are under estimating scooter riders, I personally have found them to be the safest and aware road users on Thai roads, and as for carrying an umbrella, many use this as a drag parachute in an emergency stop just as a fighter plane would.

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

I think you are under estimating scooter riders, I personally have found them to be the safest and aware road users on Thai roads, and as for carrying an umbrella, many use this as a drag parachute in an emergency stop just as a fighter plane would.

Wow...I never knew that!

🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Philly said:

Good advice, don’t forget you can turn left at a red light. Flashing red lights mean you can go through but be careful 

You can turn left on red lights  ...BUT watch out for the signs telling you that you can't!

18-2.jpg

p2254.jpg

• Like 1