Important rules and behaviours for driving in Thailand

Thaiger

3 minutes ago, ThailandBob said:

The whole article was full of inaccuracies, inconsistencies, and general weirdness. 

Yes, strange that a supposedly well-informed news outlet should permit itself to put out such an error-strewn piece; almost as if it was done deliberately, so as to attract more critical posts . . . a business ploy, almost. Sad though, if that was the case, especially since the key factor of the report is something as crucial as road safety.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eman said:

Ridiculous to assume any road law here is followed, in fact if you dont drive like a Thai it’s probably more dangerous, also ridiculous to assume that all driving licenses are gotten legitimately, easy to tell someone from a village driving in town, they approach a roundabout and stare in clueless abandonment.

What's a driving licence?

• Haha 3

If honking can be a sign of respect,  I may need to reevaluate the meaning of the honking at victory monument. Surely there's a much more rational explanation for honking near temples, such as preventing ghosts from hitching a ride.

PS: many sentences in this article made me raise an eye-brow (for some I even experienced a virtual face-palm). However, I very much like that this "news" was not just copy-pasted from some other source. Keep up providing original reporting. It can only get better from here on!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Yes, strange that a supposedly well-informed news outlet should permit itself to put out such an error-strewn piece; almost as if it was done deliberately, so as to attract more critical posts . . . a business ploy, almost. Sad though, if that was the case, especially since the key factor of the report is something as crucial as road safety.

• Vehicles with fewer than 7 seats: maximum 120 kilometres per hour
  • Vehicles in the rightmost lane: minimum 100 kilometres per hour
  • Passenger vehicles of over 7 seats but fewer than 15 seats: maximum 100 kilometres per hour
  • Vehicles with more than 15 seats or weighing over 2,200 kilograms: maximum 90 kilometres per hour
  • Tricycles and tow trucks: maximum 65 kilometres per hour
  • Motorcycles: maximum 80 kilometres per hour
  • Motorcycles with engines of 400cc or more: maximum 100 kilometres per hour
  • School buses: maximum 80 kilometres per hour

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/speed-limit-on-thailands-highways-increased-to-120-kilometres-an-hour

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driving in Thailand isn't that bad although you do need eyes in the back of your head especially during morning and evening rush hour. That's when the fleas embark on-mass onto the roads. The young ones have no fear (or sense) passing left, right, dodging here there and everywhere. 

Other memorable places are Mexico City and LeBoulevard Periphique and Arc DeTriumph Paris. Talk about crazy.

Forgot about the US where old un's in their dotage still peer from behind their steering wheels trying to overcome their disabilities such as Cataracts or Macular Degeneration.

Edited by Disenfranchised
More info.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Disenfranchised said:

Driving in Thailand isn't that bad although you do need eyes in the back of your head especially during morning and evening rush hour. That's when the fleas embark on-mass onto the roads. The young ones have no fear (or sense) passing left, right, dodging here there and everywhere. 

Other memorable places are Mexico City and LeBoulevard Periphique and Arc DeTriumph Paris. Talk about crazy.

Periphique and Arc de Triumph are childs play simply because everybody , unlike Thailand, drives the same way on their side of the road. Never been to Mexico so wouldn't know

53 minutes ago, Faz said:
  • Vehicles with fewer than 7 seats: maximum 120 kilometres per hour
  • Vehicles in the rightmost lane: minimum 100 kilometres per hour
  • Passenger vehicles of over 7 seats but fewer than 15 seats: maximum 100 kilometres per hour
  • Vehicles with more than 15 seats or weighing over 2,200 kilograms: maximum 90 kilometres per hour
  • Tricycles and tow trucks: maximum 65 kilometres per hour
  • Motorcycles: maximum 80 kilometres per hour
  • Motorcycles with engines of 400cc or more: maximum 100 kilometres per hour
  • School buses: maximum 80 kilometres per hour

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/speed-limit-on-thailands-highways-increased-to-120-kilometres-an-hour

Some concern-provoking differences between the above and today's 'strange' offering. Where on earth did the writer get those m/c speed limits from? Not only fake information but crucially dangerous info, if scooter-kids were to believe they can legally do 120 kph. The scooter tune-up shops would do a roaring trade!!

"you could almost forget you're in a 'developing' country"???

Since the Phuket Sandbox in July I've driven around Phuket, Samui, Krabi, Ratchaburi to Hua Hin, and now navigating my way around Hua Hin.

The roads are *terrible*!! I've pretty much destroyed the suspension in my GFs car. I'm looking at buying a large truck or Ford Everest and then upgrading the suspension JUST to cope with the shitty roads 

And don't get me started on the Thai drivers. Not hard to see why Thailand is the 3rd worst country in the world for road deaths and accidents. I hate driving here at night time. 

What a pointless article!

• Cool 1

1 minute ago, DWiener said:

The roads are *terrible*!! I've pretty much destroyed the suspension in my GFs car

Have you considered driving with due regards to road conditions ? 

Or, even better yet - those pussies that aren't able to navigate nor understand the unwritten rules/codes of the road, shouldn't drive here. 

Problems resolved. 

There's no way I'm stopping to let anyone walk over a crossing here.

1. The pedestrian looks at you like you're mad and is too confused to cross.

2. Someone drives into the back of you.

3. The pedestrian actually crosses bowing away like you've done something amazing but then an impatient Somchai behind you overtakes you and runs them over.

Do as the Thais do and drive over the crossings it saves so much confusion. Waste of paint.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

I’m always mindful of wuaa crossings ! Early morning and late afternoon is always a concern 

Yes. The buffalos aren't too bad but cows are worthy of respect. Another headache are stray dogs. Some are dumber than sheep. No road sense.

But the gold medal goes to drunken morons using their mobile phones while driving in a residential zone at formula one speeds. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

I was driving thru Prachin Buri today coming home from a road trip and the highway out there is terrible in so many areas. Theres so many potholes and the highway asphalt just didn't set right. It doesn't bother me but wifes mom in the back seat of the truck was terrified. (Not to mention for some reason that model hilux doesn't have seat belts back there.. it was a option at the dealer i guess)

And previous mentioned cross walks remided me of a time I was at Sathorn area crosswalk. Light turned red some motorcycle stopped to let us cross. We crossed halfway and bam, motorcycle was hit from behind by some old man. All pretty standard stuff though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

MY rules for driving in Thailand: 

1/.Honk your horn for a long blast at lunatics pulling out in front of you!

2/.Use the middle finger out of the window many times!! (or sounds like 'banker' gesture!)

3/.Use expletives like "You fricking A- hole" at the top of your voice with the window down so they can see and hear!

4/.Don't give way to anyone trying to push their way into moving traffic (see honking rules!)

5/.If being tailgated, slam the brakes on and put the living S@#t up them!  

I do use #5 occasionally, but you've got to get it spot-on!

" for motorbike users, the speed limit is set at 120 kms/hour

THis can't be right.

As I understand it the national speed limit is 90kmh

On motorways and some highways with 4 lanes and barriers) it is 120

Motorbikes are limited to 100 mph for over 400cc and 80 km under - ythey are not permitted on motorways,

Expressways around BKK and Pattaya have an 80 km speed limit.

Edited by Khunwilko
  • Like 1

Please let me know where these good roads are as in 10 years I have not been able to find any. 

As for the these driving rules don't see many Thais using them. 

• Like 1

How do you tell Thais you do not overtake on a solid red line

They seem to think when it is a solid red line and a sharp corner it is the place to overtake

Even a double red line does not stop them overtaking

What about parking on the wrong side of the road with the car facing oncoming traffic.

What about accelerating when a pedestrian crossing is being approached.

You waste your time trying to drive carefully here .You need luck  and common sense to realise you are in Thailand with some of the worst drivers in the world

• Like 1

This article is under researched and is poorly put together.

"Thailand has 5 different road signs.

"Thailand has 5 different road signs.: -  Ann - can you explain what you mean by this.

Your priorate from the left rule is right - and often foreigners are not aware of this - but you fail to mention that when it does to roundabouts the priority is to the right.

Most Thai drivers instinctively follow the priority to the left rule....this is why they gt confused on roundabouts and foreigners complain "they just pulled out in front of me" - this is because they can!

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

I think we know what this article is trying to achieve. 😂😂

Go on then, I’ll play along:

When your vehicle breaks down or has a technical fault, you should pull over to the left of the road. You should then vandalise the nearest tree and place several large branches and leafs at least 20 yards behind your vehicle in order to warn other road users.  

Not twenty meters  5 meters and at night

• Haha 1

The first rule of the driving in Thailand club is you do not talk of the driving in Thailand club. 

The second rule of ……

The third rule of ….

If you do mention the driving in Thailand club you will get out your wallet, open it and pay the officer 500 baht