Important rules and behaviours for driving in Thailand

Thaiger

6 hours ago, Poolie said:

Google is NOT my friend. Or anyone's, for that matter.

Indeed. And I'm sure you might struggle to convince most of this. 

These are the bright ones. 

9 hours ago, Poolie said:

Google is NOT my friend. Or anyone's, for that matter.

A conclusion I've come to regarding your self. It seems JS Mill along with most great western thought will ever remain a mystery to you.

10 hours ago, Fester said:

It wasn't. You said: "For over 3 decades Thailand has had various “Road Safety Action Plans” and has espoused the virtues of the 5 “E”s (it has to be said with little effect) ... but without them, Road Safety in Thailand is doomed". 

You did not use the word adopted in the first place. 

Duh back. 

Seriously!?!?!  you're lack of comprehension is mind-boggling... or don't you understand the word "adopted"?

Edited by Khunwilko

On 1/12/2022 at 8:20 PM, ctxa said:

Chill out bro. 

I never said anything about driving tests, and neither am I saying now anything about helmets in Thailand. 

All I'm saying is helmets save lives, you don't need a country or a year for that statistic, it's irrelevant. In any country in the world where a motorcyclist wears a helmet, he is 40% less like to die. It's all I said, nothing more nothing less. And that statistic proves how many helmeted vs non-helmeted suffer TBIs. Just that.

Think twice before hitting submit in a condescending tone, aye? 

I'm referring to the thread not your own pitch - If you had kept up with the tread you would see that your comments are covered already.

41 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

A conclusion I've come to regarding your self. It seems JS Mill along with most great western thought will ever remain a mystery to you.

Great Western thought. Might that be a term of extreme contradiction?

1 hour ago, DesperateOldHand said:

Why are so many of you Farang overly concerned and obsessed with Thai driving character?

Good point - as I said there are idiot drivers everywhere and in the similar proportions. To suggest that Thai drivers are inherently inferior to farangs is just racist.

Edited by Khunwilko
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DesperateOldHand said:

Why are so many of you Farang overly concerned and obsessed with Thai driving character?

Because they keep on trying to run us over when we cross the road.😄

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

Seriously!?!?!  you're lack of comprehension is mind-boggling... or don't you understand the word "adopted"?

Your mind certainly seems easily boggled. It's OK, I understand.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

Good point - as I said there are idiot drivers everywhere and in the similar proportions. To suggest that Thai drivers are inherently inferior to farangs is just racist.

Not so much racists, per se - but terribly ignorant. 🤨

10 hours ago, Rain said:

Not so much racists, per se - but terribly ignorant. 🤨

Racism is a point of view that erroneously sees the human race (one race), subdivided hierarchically. It assumes that there are races and the white race are superior. Which is in itself a form or ignorance.

If you look at the comments on driving in Thailand you will see that many posters consider themselves to be superior driver to all Thai people who they consider inherently inferior. That looks like a classic racist approach to the problem.

this approach doesn't even begin to understand the problems of road safety in Thailand because they are barking up a tree the doesn't even exist, a judgment clouded by their racist attitudes.

PS - surely there's ignorant, ignoranter and then racist?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

If you look at the comments on driving in Thailand you will see that many posters consider themselves to be superior driver to all Thai people who they consider inherently inferior. That looks like a classic racist approach to the problem.

Judging peoples driving ability is racist - seriously.
It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact they've never taken a proficiency driving course to demonstrate they can control a vehicle which can cause death if not operated efficiently, hold a licence to do so, have no tax or Insurance (which is invalid if you don't hold a valid licence in the first instance).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Faz said:

Judging peoples driving ability is racist - seriously.
It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact they've never taken a proficiency driving course to demonstrate they can control a vehicle which can cause death if not operated efficiently, hold a licence to do so, have no tax or Insurance (which is invalid if you don't hold a valid licence in the first instance).

It is the WAY they are judged.

THe fact is that many do have driving proficiency courses - they are not all corrupt - another sweeping generalisation.

Most Thai people DO have insurance, tax and a licence - just visit any DRT.

Also Thai people have a lot of experience (almost as much as I do) of driving on Thai roads.

The problem is that people resort to generalisations and stereotypes when talking about driving in Thailand and there views are not considered critical thinking they are wild racist generalisations based on th concept that Western drivers are better - this is a myth based on race.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact they've never taken a proficiency driving course to demonstrate they can control a vehicle which can cause death if not operated efficiently, hold a licence to do so

Note also you use of "they" repeatedly as if the whole nation are one uniform inherently inferior race

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

Note also you use of "they" repeatedly as if the whole nation are one uniform inherently inferior race

Not a good sign, KW, arguing with yourself.

You can get tablets for that.😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

THe fact is that many do have driving proficiency courses - they are not all corrupt - another sweeping generalisation.

It's difficult to find one that isn't corrupt.

16 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

Most Thai people DO have insurance, tax and a licence - just visit any DRT.

Most, but certainly far from all. And it's DLT, not DRT.

19 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

The problem is that people resort to generalisations and stereotypes when talking about driving in Thailand and there views are not considered critical thinking they are wild racist generalisations based on th concept that Western drivers are better - this is a myth based on race.

Nonsense, it's based on the fact their are good and bad drivers and those who don't have valid licences and shouldn't even be on the road. Don't play the race card it's pathetic.

Why were Thai 'drivers' crying foul, panicking and posting on Thai media about the proposed increases in fines for driving without a licence - because they had one!
Harsh new penalties for unlicensed driving 'not yet law' (bangkokpost.com)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

They, as in people.
Some foreigners are also bad drivers, never passed a test and don't hold a valid licence. 

Sorry is the term foreigners racist, would aliens be preferable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Not a good sign, KW, arguing with yourself.

You can get tablets for that.😂

As god said to Moses, "Keep taking the tablets."

• Haha 5