Important rules and behaviours for driving in Thailand

Thaiger

7 hours ago, Vince said:

A great point but not limited to Thailand or even driving. I'm reminded of the karate kata vs actual sparring or the rigors of Muay Thai training and how well it stood up in the UFC. It is said that dirt motorbike riders have a much lower accident rate when riding full size street bikes and maybe thats directly related. 

Theres little good training for most things I think. 

Which brings us to the 7 Ps which everyone must have heard of, but for those of them that haven't:-

Prior Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

• Haha 3
  • Cool 1

15 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

What hasn't? Can you elucidate?

had various “Road Safety Action Plans” and has espoused the virtues of the 5 “E”s

5 hours ago, Fester said:

had various “Road Safety Action Plans” and has espoused the virtues of the 5 “E”s

Why do you think that?

the "5Es were first mooted in around 2005 with the recommendation of adopting the "Safe System in the action plan below or rather inaction plan. however the Safe System originates from Sweden in the 1980/90s

- ARRIVE ALIVE - 
ASEAN Commits to Cutting Road Deaths 

Association of Southeast Asian Nations Regional Road Safety Strategy and Action Plan (2005–2010)  - origins of “5 Es”

here are a few references for you...

2014 - https://www.วารสารความปลอดภัยและสุขภาพ.com/บทความวารสารความปลอดภัยฯ%202557/บทความฉบับที่%2024_2557/บทความที่_02%20Vol._24.pdf

“Road Safety Investment: A Step to Achieve the Decade of Action on Road Safety Goal in Thailand”

“These interventions could be categorized into the 5-E strategy: evaluation, education, engineering, enforcement and emergency medical service.”

Table 3: -

Road Safety Spending in Thailand 2007 - 2011, by 5-E Strategy (million baht) 

Ministry of Transport Ministry of Education* Royal Thai Police Ministry of Interior* Ministry of Public Health Thai Health Promotion  

2007 - 2011 

Enforcement 

Engineering 

Education 

EMS 

Evaluation 

Total 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ctxa said:

Then why don’t you replace the shock absorbers in your car with a solid steel rod? 

As I said, you don't appear to understand the topic of shock absorption and have engaged in a rather shallow fallacy of Reductio ad absurdum.

Or are you trying to move the goalposts yet again because you realise you were talking nonsense in the first place?

I'll remind you of your initial comment which indicated you don't understand the issue at all

"If you wear a proper helmet it's very hard to suffer a fatal head injury (albeit not impossible)."

PS - do you even understand the suspension on a formula one car? You won't find any oil-filled shock absorbers functioning like on a road car.

you also seem unaware of the internal organ problems suffered by racing drivers - kidneys etc.

Edited by Khunwilko

1 hour ago, Khunwilko said:

"If you wear a proper helmet it's very hard to suffer a fatal head injury (albeit not impossible)."

Once again, my initial topic isn't incorrect because you're not going to find many helmeted riders dying because of a fatal head injury, they may die WITH it but not BECAUSE of it. Instead of saying how smart you are, in how many companies you've worked and blah blah try to prove my phase wrong by showing stats of how many helmeted riders die as a consequence of fatal head injury only.

If you have COVID and someone shoots you 20 times in the head, what's the cause of the death? COVID?

This is the same - if you are not able to process what I just wrote then I can only believe you are here to troll. 

Up above I read someone had put you in their ignore list for the sake of mind - and I am starting to agree with them.

And Formula 1 car suspensions obviously don't have oil-filed shock absorbers, and hence they don't absorb impacts at all, they just damp the motion of the car. 

You seem to have a big issue getting the difference between shock absorption and restraint. For shock absorption to even happen it's a must that the system absorbs some of the energy away. In the case of a seat belt, you experience the absolute same deceleration as the car does, because that's what the seat belt is there for, to make you tied to the car and not let you continue traveling at the speed at which the car is traveling and fly off the windshield.

Edited by ctxa

20 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

If you wear a proper helmet it's very hard to suffer a fatal head injury (albeit not impossible)."

Nonsense.

• Like 4

After all the obsessive sociological analysis, stats, graphs, opinions and whatnot - I'd be much more curious as to what the agenda or pointed conclusions/direction some might have.

24 minutes ago, Rain said:

After all the obsessive sociological analysis, stats, graphs, opinions and whatnot - I'd be much more curious as to what the agenda or pointed conclusions/direction some might have.

None. Another excuse for bashing Thailand.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Rain said:

"Whatnot"?....if you aren't Blitish, you should be...😜

I finks the postee is just attempting to be clever.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Poolie said:

None. Another excuse for bashing Thailand.

Constructive criticism is hardly bashing Thailand now is it. Do you think that the Thai standard of driving is exemplary. Example, driving on a 3 lane highway the third land which many would call the overtaking lane is used by slow moving vehicles. So to overtake these vehicles you have to use the middle lane and the inside lane which is supposed to be for the slow moving traffic is usually empty, but that might be for fear of vehicles going the wrong way againgst the flow of traffic and causing a multiple pile up.

So nobody is "bashing" Thailand Poolie unless bashing equals the truth. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Constructive criticism is hardly bashing Thailand now is it. Do you think that the Thai standard of driving is exemplary. Example, driving on a 3 lane highway the third land which many would call the overtaking lane is used by slow moving vehicles. So to overtake these vehicles you have to use the middle lane and the inside lane which is supposed to be for the slow moving traffic is usually empty, but that might be for fear of vehicles going the wrong way againgst the flow of traffic and causing a multiple pile up.

So nobody is "bashing" Thailand Poolie unless bashing equals the truth. 

So, point taken, how are you going to change it? By spouting on here where no, or very few, Thai ever reads it In a foreign language? Hardly.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Poolie said:

So, point taken, how are you going to change it? By spouting on here where no, or very few, Thai ever reads it In a foreign language? Hardly.

There is no point in writing anything on such sites, for me it is just a break for a few minutes a few times a day in-between programming, it can be a bit of a laugh seeing everyone arguing over nothing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

Why do you think that?

the "5Es were first mooted in around 2005 with the recommendation of adopting the "Safe System in the action plan below or rather inaction plan. however the Safe System originates from Sweden in the 1980/90s

- ARRIVE ALIVE - 
ASEAN Commits to Cutting Road Deaths 

Association of Southeast Asian Nations Regional Road Safety Strategy and Action Plan (2005–2010)  - origins of “5 Es”

here are a few references for you...

2014 - https://www.วารสารความปลอดภัยและสุขภาพ.com/บทความวารสารความปลอดภัยฯ%202557/บทความฉบับที่%2024_2557/บทความที่_02%20Vol._24.pdf

“Road Safety Investment: A Step to Achieve the Decade of Action on Road Safety Goal in Thailand”

“These interventions could be categorized into the 5-E strategy: evaluation, education, engineering, enforcement and emergency medical service.”

Table 3: -

Road Safety Spending in Thailand 2007 - 2011, by 5-E Strategy (million baht) 

Ministry of Transport Ministry of Education* Royal Thai Police Ministry of Interior* Ministry of Public Health Thai Health Promotion  

2007 - 2011 

Enforcement 

Engineering 

Education 

EMS 

Evaluation 

Total 

And if you read your own link you can see that the effort was wasted. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rain said:

I've pointed out my conclusions loads of times - Thailand will make no progress until they adopt the "Safe System approach" - and both the authorities and public fundamentally change their attitudes to road safety

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Fester said:

And if you read your own link you can see that the effort was wasted. 

Duh! that was my point in first place - the policies have never been adopted - and that is why for nearly 3 decades there as been no significant change in road safety in Thailand.

22 hours ago, Poolie said:

I'm saying that the attitude and driving skills of many on this thread and elsewhere are contributory to the problem.

I also spent a lot of time working with Thai companies who CAN change Thai thinking. This is just a break from my work.

I'm not content to sit in the dark and do nothing.

My job has brought me in face to face contact with some of the highest in the land - unlike many I can actually do/say something about it.

"“Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject.” J.S. Mill

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2022 at 9:50 PM, ctxa said:

HANS just like a seat belt are RESTRAINT systems. In the case of the seat belt to prevent you from flying off the car through the windshield mainly. 

Both HANS and seat belt absorb jackshit cuz they are not at all dynamic shock absorption system. (Zero, nada, nothing). 

Airbag on the other side ARE shock absorption. 

Climbing rope unlike seat belts DO provide dynamic shock absorption because they stretch and make for a softer stop.

In an accident, the webbing of a seatbelt stretches, which absorbs some of the energy in an impact. This helps prevent any injury from the contact between the seatbelt and occupant. = RoSA

Newton's Laws and car safety

Car safety features

Newton's Laws are very important when it comes to car safety.

When there is a car crash, the car, its contents and the passengers decelerate rapidly. They experience great forces because of the very large decelaration, which can cause injury.

Modern cars also have safety features that absorb kinetic energy in collisions. These typically include:

• seat belts
  • air bags
  • crumple zones

These features increase the time taken for the change in speed of the occupants. This reduces the deceleration, which causes the forces involved to be reduced, and consequently serious injuries to be reduced. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zgn82hv/revision/11

You weren't concentrating during O level physics, were you?

Edited by Khunwilko
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

I also spent a lot of time working with Thai companies who CAN change Thai thinking. 

Why? 

What's your bottom line agenda? 

Fanciful types.

6 hours ago, Rain said:

What's your bottom line agenda?

Beware of people who use the word ”agenda’. They use it in a negative sense because usually don’t understand the argument or are too dumb to reply. They have a FEELING they don’t like it but can’t come up with a response so cover their ignorance with cynicism.

It is basically a form of ad hominem attack – it attacks the messenger rather than the message by erroneously inferring there is a subtle, even subversive, subtext to the argument that somehow invalidates it.

They can’t actually articulate this, so instead resort to the suggestion there is an “agenda”. As if that is something secret that we are all aware of already.

It’s a close relative of sealioning and reduction ad absurdum and false syllogism.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

Duh! that was my point in first place - the policies have never been adopted - and that is why for nearly 3 decades there as been no significant change in road safety in Thailand.

It wasn't. You said: "For over 3 decades Thailand has had various “Road Safety Action Plans” and has espoused the virtues of the 5 “E”s (it has to be said with little effect) ... but without them, Road Safety in Thailand is doomed". 

You did not use the word adopted in the first place. 

Duh back. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

Beware of people who use the word ”agenda’. They use it in a negative sense because usually don’t understand the argument or are too dumb to reply. They have a FEELING they don’t like it but can’t come up with a response so cover their ignorance with cynicism.

It is basically a form of ad hominem attack – it attacks the messenger rather than the message by erroneously inferring there is a subtle, even subversive, subtext to the argument that somehow invalidates it.

They can’t actually articulate this, so instead resort to the suggestion there is an “agenda”. As if that is something secret that we are all aware of already.

It’s a close relative of sealioning and reduction ad absurdum and false syllogism.

Confucius he say:

Far better to be too dumb to reply, than be too dumb to post in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Fester said:

Confucius he say:

Far better to be too dumb to reply, than be too dumb to post in the first place.

Or, to quote Abraham Lincoln:
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1