News Forum - Workers’ rights group calls for “special leave” for Covid-19 patients

Thaiger

An employee rights group says the government should create “special leave” for workers recovering from Covid-19. Suthasinee Kaewleklai from the Migrant Workers Rights Network says that currently, employers are deducting the time from annual leave and sick leave. With leave entitlements maxing out at 30 days, many workers find all their time off is being used up on Covid-19. “Once an infection is confirmed, a worker will need to take more time for treatment, which means after recovering, they will only have a few days left. If they fall sick from other illnesses, they won’t have enough days off to […]

The post Workers’ rights group calls for “special leave” for Covid-19 patients appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Many arguments for and against here.

Covid is a sickness/illness, so you use your sick leave, you're lucky to have sick leave.

Then again if you caught Covid at work (hard to prove) then maybe the boss should pay your sick leave.

Maybe they could go 50/50 on the issue.

Or do you go all out sympathetic and the boss pays. (His business will not be there long.)

Or does the Govt chip in with some of the money they are splashing around to help business?

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

The concept of Trades Union is still very undeveloped hereabouts. Most people are grateful to have a job. 

That's an opinion, not a fact, by the way.

• Cool 1

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

An employee rights group says the government should create “special leave” for workers recovering from Covid-19.

AKA a sick pay scheme, similar to what most developed countries have had in operation for half a century or more. Thailand may have such a scheme . . . in another century or two, maybe.

• Haha 1

I can only hope that Thailand moves into the twentieth century with regards to pay and conditions of work (that wasn't a typo....I did say the twentieth century). Cumulative sick leave is the norm in developed countries. So if I'm not sick, it adds to my bank of sick leave in case something bad happens. In my case, having six months paid sick leave (on full pay)  after ten years without any major sick leave. I also have the ability to be able to gift some of my sick leave into a "sick leave bank", so that other employees who suffer serious and longer illness can tap into it to help make ends meet. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, palooka said:

Many arguments for and against here.

Covid is a sickness/illness, so you use your sick leave, you're lucky to have sick leave.

Then again if you caught Covid at work (hard to prove) then maybe the boss should pay your sick leave.

Maybe they could go 50/50 on the issue.

Or do you go all out sympathetic and the boss pays. (His business will not be there long.)

Or does the Govt chip in with some of the money they are splashing around to help business?

I have to agree - sick is sick, and there's no reason for Covid to be a special case.

The argument for better sick leave terms and conditions is a valid one, though, but by lumping the two together they're likely to dip out on both.

• Like 1