News Forum - NIDA poll calls for PM Prayut to quit, House dissolve, Cabinet reshuffle

Thaiger

With the upcoming election, a new poll from the National Institute of Development Administration found that 40% of people feel PM Prayut Chan-o-cha should announce he is quitting as prime minister by next August. The NIDA poll asked political opinions from 1,311 people of various occupations and educations levels nationwide by phone on October 5 to 8. The poll addressed the controversy over whether PM Prayut can be reelected as the Constitution says no one can serve as prime minister for more than 8 years, and Prayut has been in command of Thailand since the 2014 coup. But as the […]

The post NIDA poll calls for PM Prayut to quit, House dissolve, Cabinet reshuffle appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

How can Thailand move ahead or even recover with the backward thinking of old men who should have gone years ago , were not elected ,  and offer nothing to the country...

Brand new elected gov. with new ideas , and must be Accountable..

7 minutes ago, Johno said:

How can Thailand move ahead or even recover with the backward thinking of old men who should have gone years ago , were not elected ,  and offer nothing to the country...

Brand new elected gov. with new ideas , and must be Accountable..

Have you got a plan for it? And have you made an appointment yet to tell them that? ☺️

• Like 1

Add: riding ourselves from the ever-controlling ruling elitist oligarchy. 

Downgrading the military's significant influence permanently. 

Opening up to all comers of political candidacy.

Removing the traditional and mind numbing worship of suppressive patronage. 

Otherwise, any of the dreamy nature that continues on is all moot.

The new revolution is just around the corner. Stay tuned.

3 minutes ago, Rain said:

Many people in Thailand have been hoping for that for a long time now

3 hours ago, Johno said:

..... old men who should have gone years ago , were not elected ,  and offer nothing to the country...

The government  were elected, freely and fairly, in open elections that are considerably more representative and open than most in the West.

The only exception is the PM, who was elected in accordance with the constitution, which in turn was voted on by referendum with a separate vote approving the system for electing the PM. 

Whether the vote on the constitution was free and fair is a very, very different matter, but the government were elected.

That's not to support them in any way, shape or form as I don't, just to correct a common fallacy.

3 hours ago, Rain said:

3 hours ago, gummy said:

Many people in Thailand have been hoping for that for a long time now

Now that's about the constitution and about education, for young and old alike, and that's a very different point.

7 minutes ago, Stonker said:

The government  were elected, freely and fairly, in open elections that are considerably more representative and open than most in the West.

The only exception is the PM, who was elected in accordance with the constitution, which in turn was voted on by referendum with a separate vote approving the system for electing the PM. 

Whether the vote on the constitution was free and fair is a very, very different matter, but the government were elected.

That's not to support them in any way, shape or form as I don't, just to correct a common fallacy.

That election and any other is pointless with 250 unelected senators there to block anything an opposition wanted to reform. They have to go along with the backward moving constitution. 

19 minutes ago, thai3 said:

That election and any other is pointless with 250 unelected senators there to block anything an opposition wanted to reform. They have to go along with the backward moving constitution. 

I quite agree, hence my follow-up point on the constitution, but that doesn't change the fact that the government were elected, and the elected MPs have voted down every no-confidence vote.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Yep. Back to the ruling class square one.

Same as it ever was.

6 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I quite agree, hence my follow-up point on the constitution, but that doesn't change the fact that the government were elected, and the elected MPs have voted down every no-confidence vote.

Hi Stonker. Agreed. Prayut was elected by majority vote. There have been numerous unsuccessful no confidence attempts throughout the last decade.

The PM is not the sharpest knife in the drawer but he has taken the blame for poor decisions/actions from other government officials and right now most of the worlds leaders are under attack no matter what they do. In many ways he has my sympathy.

Like yourself I live in Thailand and have defended the country when others slandered her. But why must you continuously slag off Western nations and Western people? 

Thailand has its issues and I have had cracking conversations with locals about grievances and things they wish to improve but most have been respectful to me and agree or disagree they understood and listened without rubbishing my home and her people.

It's your right to oppose us and even hate us. But Whitesnake made some valid points. 

1 hour ago, whitesnake said:

Heyyy! My country the UK... THE ELECTIONS ARE FREE AND FAIR!!!

I never suggested they weren't, nor that they weren't anywhere in the West.

Maybe it would help if you engaged brain before keyboard ... maybe not.

My point was that many countries in the West are less "representative".

EVERYONE HAS 1 VOTE TO CAST and it's the PEOPLE who decide whether its TORY, LABOUR OR LIB DEM! Don't you dare start to criticize my country and it's electoral system! Everyone sees you on this forum always supporting the "Thai way!" That's up to you... but, please STOP when it comes to voicing your stupid opinions directed at other nationalities home countries!! HOW OFFENSIVE!!!  

The UK has one of the least representative electoral systems in the West - not my "opinion", "stupid" or otherwise, but an easily established fact.

The head of state is unelected and there by birth, and the PM is elected by either a small number of MPs from the ruling party (if Tory), not by all the elected MPs, or even more absurdly by neither the MPs nor the electorate but by the party membership (if Labour).

The MPs themselves are elected by a laughably antiquated first past the post system whereby the government and ruling party seldom represent the majority of the electorate even when they have a large majority, and they could actually have a majority in parliament and be elected with less than ten percent of the vote - so contrary to how you imagine things to be "the PEOPLE " DON'T "decide".

As for the House of Lords ..... 😂

You may like the system, that's entirely up to you, but it's not "representative" by any accepted or recognised definition.

... always supporting the "Thai way!" 

It has nothing to do with "supporting the "Thai way!" ".

I'm simply supporting a system that's "representative" of the electorate, whether that's "TORY, LABOUR OR LIB DEM", Green, Blue, Thai Rak Thai, Future Forward, or Monster Raving Loony.

Some countries have a representative system, some don't.  Thailand's system happens to be representative, based on a system of proportional representation as many are in the West, while the UK's isn't.

You evidently either prefer a system that's not representative, or you know very little about your own country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

But Whitesnake made some valid points.

Sorry, but he didn't - he simply didn't read my comment.

I didn't "slag off Western nations and Western people" - I simply noted that the Thai electoral system is more "representative" than "most in the West".

Some are more representative, but most are less.

That isn't my "opinion", but easily verifiable fact.

That isn't "supporting the "Thai way!" ", just making a factual observation.

FWIW, I don't support the "Thai way" of electing a PM as I think it was passed by a referendum that was massively flawed and anything but "free and fair", as I've said several times, but neither do I support the UK's which I think is a farce as there is no system, written or unwritten.

No bias, but FWIW in my view the Irish have undoubtedly got the PM and head of state system 100% right.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Nothing will change Prayut is here to stay as all dictators do.

History says otherwise but there's always an exception I guess.

30 minutes ago, JamesE said:

In what world does "41%" equal a call to do anything. The original story in the BKK Post claimed no such thing. 

Agreed 100%, @JamesE - and even that 41% only said it should be in August next year since that's what the Constitution stipulates (even if it's unclear, possibly deliberately).

The headline's not misleading, but simply untrue.

11 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Sorry, but he didn't - he simply didn't read my comment.

I didn't "slag off Western nations and Western people" - I simply noted that the Thai electoral system is more "representative" than "most in the West".

Some are more representative, but most are less.

That isn't my "opinion", but easily verifiable fact.

That isn't "supporting the "Thai way!" ", just making a factual observation.

FWIW, I don't support the "Thai way" of electing a PM as I think it was passed by a referendum that was massively flawed and anything but "free and fair", as I've said several times, but neither do I support the UK's which I think is a farce as there is no system, written or unwritten.

No bias, but FWIW in my view the Irish have undoubtedly got the PM and head of state system 100% right.

Now why couldn't you be elaborate from the start. It will be less offensive. Thank you for the reply.