News Forum - November reopening to international tourists predicts 1.5 trillion baht

Thaiger

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

So you think a loss of 10%-15% of official GDP, plus possibly another 5%-10% of unofficial GDP from foreign tourism, not to mention the amount of foreign currency inflows this attracts, won’t have an impact on the wider economy? Simply incredible. 

Yes. Simply incredible that you, and others, really haven't a clue about Thailand and the society. 

8 minutes ago, Rain said:

Yes. Simply incredible that you, and others, really haven't a clue about Thailand and the society. 

It’s not about what a few people working in a factory want. Or the farmers want. It’s what’s right economically for the entire country. And what do you know about me and my knowledge of Thailand of Thai society? Stop judging me and debate your point in a sensible and friendly manner or don’t debate it at all. 

• Haha 1

4 million Thais were employed in the tourist sector before Covid. Tourism contributed 3 trillion baht to GDP in 2019. The numbers speak for themselves.

wormwood,yep i think thai has got to drop all those stacks of paper work.the insurance,two diff types,coe,test  and other hoops are just too many.myself and others i know would love to return now.but the thai govt and all those add ons are makeing it way to hard.ive been living there 6 months each year for the last 18 years.ive never saw so many hoops to jump thru.so,looks like im stuck giving up and going else where.so sorry about this as i love coming to thailand thru the usa winter.maybe changes soon.chock dee to everyone.

• Thanks 1

It is very time consuming and complicated to complete the evisa application on line. Upload myriad documents, photos etc. Convert items into uploadable  formats and so on. Thus many may opt for a staycation rather than a vacation abroad. Or a visit to a more welcoming venue.

Even with the 7 day sandbox instead of 14 days, slightly more affordable, it's not cheap to jump through all the hurdles just to get into thailand: proof of: airflights, money, bookings, photos of a number of things, proof you aren't going to be a burden on the country.  The virus will run its course vaccine or not and become endemic like other types of flu.  Keep other aspects of your health under control so when you do get sick, you can tough it out. 

The people, hospitality and food in Thailand are among the very best, but it is so tough to get in from elsewhere. ...

These kids really think that Thailand is only one tourist destination in the world. Are there no adults around to look after the kids and Clowns? And why they give daily predictions? They wanna play Nostradamus? Give them something else to play , something they cannot harm anybody!

2 minutes ago, Stardust said:

These kids really think that Thailand is only one tourist destination in the world. Are there no adults around to look after the kids and Clowns? And why they give daily predictions? They wanna play Nostradamus? Give them something else to play , something they cannot harm anybody!

Given their reputation it does appear they only play with themselves !!

8 hours ago, Cape said:

"The goal is to open without quarantine restrictions for international tourists, barring any unforeseen surge in Covid-19 infections too dire to contain.

The other conditions for visitors are that they must be fully jabbed and test negative for Covid-19 before arrival."

That's fine - but tell my local Thai embassy as they are still demanding 7 days in a quarantine hotel, when I have my own place in one of those areas.

Plus, see: No mention of insurance. Tell my local embassy that too and save me 7,500b. 

Because right now, with SHA+ and insurance, you ain't gonna get any tourists - only family and business - the real tourists will go to eg Mexico, an example given by another OP here.

Think you're confusing quarantine a la ASQ with an SHA+ hotel. 

Yes, at the moment you will have to stay for 7 days at an SHA+ plus hotel, but you're free to come and go as you please within the defined area. 

I also have a house I could stay at. But look at the positive, you're not in ASQ in Bangkok for 15 nights. 

Also, that insurance sounds expensive. I previously paid about half that through a TGIA provider mentioned by the Charge d'Affaires via email. That was for 90 days cover. 

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

I still don’t understand how international travellers will get to places like Pattaya and Hua Hin when they land at Suvarnabhumi? 

Total guess, but I would expect there to be a registered hotel minibus to pick passengers up at extra charge. 

I believe there was mention of specific SHA+ pumps that could be stopped at on route for restrooms etc. 

3 hours ago, Rain said:

Here we go. It's time for the "I know Thailand better than you" is it?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rain said:

Rain you should read the fact economy numbers of Thailand before make such comments Fact is they have a huge liquidity problem and can only solve it through currency and money coming through tourism. Thats why all economic and financial organisations gave a warning that they have to open otherwise it would crash through the liquidity problem. To understand it better it has the highest private household debt rates in Asia that means less liquidity. And by the way also a reason for the kung crises happened. Please study first fact numbers of Thailand and don't compare debts from other countries like Japan because they have not the gdp of Thailand!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

3 weeks away, and still no mention of how people are to get to HH or Pattaya from Soyouwannaboomboom Airport. 

Be good to know what is entailed, but I'm presuming they don't know themselves yet 

Why not a car ? 

12 hours ago, Cape said:

"The goal is to open without quarantine restrictions for international tourists, barring any unforeseen surge in Covid-19 infections too dire to contain.

The other conditions for visitors are that they must be fully jabbed and test negative for Covid-19 before arrival."

That's fine - but tell my local Thai embassy as they are still demanding 7 days in a quarantine hotel, when I have my own place in one of those areas.

Plus, see: No mention of insurance. Tell my local embassy that too and save me 7,500b. 

Because right now, with SHA+ and insurance, you ain't gonna get any tourists - only family and business - the real tourists will go to eg Mexico, an example given by another OP here.

They’re insisting on it as that’s the requirement NOW, there’s no guarantee it will change Nov 1st so in your situation, as I am, just wait until Nov 1st, hope this article is true and then start the process from there. 

• Like 1

So if quarantine is dropped then no COE ? still need insurance ? PCR tests if you’re vaxxed ? SHA or can stay at home if you live in one of those areas ? 

Another article which raises more questions than answers - so many of them! 

• Like 1

I am on the fence. Deciding between Phuket Sandbox and Bangkok. I intend on travelling early Dec and stay a month in Bangkok. 

Is it possible that we will have quarantine free arrival in Bangkok after Nov 1? that would be awesome. I am not interested in Phuket Sandbox but I don't want to be stuck in a hotel room for 7 days in Bangkok. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Benroon said:

So if quarantine is dropped then no COE ? still need insurance ? PCR tests if you’re vaxxed ? SHA or can stay at home if you live in one of those areas ? 

Yeah I know more questions. I really want to holiday. Joined this forum hoping I can get clarity on all the rules. 

I am committed Thai traveller - I have travelled to Thailand every winter vacation for almost 10 years till 2020 when Corona stopped my holiday. 

I am really hoping they relax the rules for vaccinated tourists......no quarantine would be awesome or even less than 7 days. How about 3 days?

The only way to draw in millions of tourists is to drop a lot of requirements to enter Thailand. All that is needed is vaccination, and a PCR test taken 2 days before arrival. And perhaps one 6 days after arrival.

No COE, no insurance which will never be used, no app on my phone, no PCR tests (80 euro for a 5 euro test??), no risk of being locked up at your own cost if someone from your flight tested positive.

There are other countries in the world that can be visited. Without all the hassle. If the Thai government fails to see that they will never attract millions of tourists.

• Like 2

Never mind the government! We don't need millions of tourists (domestic and/or foreign) to move around the country spreading the virus to communities that haven't been vaccinated yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jacob23 said:

Yeah I know more questions. I really want to holiday. Joined this forum hoping I can get clarity on all the rules. 

I am committed Thai traveller - I have travelled to Thailand every winter vacation for almost 10 years till 2020 when Corona stopped my holiday. 

I am really hoping they relax the rules for vaccinated tourists......no quarantine would be awesome or even less than 7 days. How about 3 days?

Sadly in Thailand the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. Even when updated information comes out it is quickly denied by another government department. One official claims “reopening” in October the another agency says not October but November. Once November is hear it is expected by most people that live here that the dates and plans will have changed multiple times again. The best advice for people trying to come to Thailand is to wait. Let the country figure out what they are doing before you make plans. I know many people that have bought tickets and have made reservations only to have to cancel due to rule changes. I don’t expect Thailand to get serious about reopening until sometime next year. I hop I am wrong, however. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Benroon said:

You will still need CoE, insurance, PCR pre departure, and 2 post arrival. 

SHA+ 1st 7 nights.

2 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

You will still need CoE, insurance, PCR pre departure, and 2 post arrival. 

SHA+ 1st 7 nights.

I’m not sure - the gist of the article the way I read it was they want to open up fully - having said that you may well be right but that’s not going to help IMO

The problem with these articles is they’re so confusing it would be better not to publish them in the first place! 

What if someone from one of the 5 areas wants to book now to arrive post Nov 1st  ? What if they live in those areas ?

They have to provide ASQ details (for BKK obviously) but by the time they travel they could do SHA and not need the ASQ !! 

Chaos! 

37 minutes ago, Benroon said:

My guess (and that’s all it can be right now), is that the COE process will still be in place. The COE is intended to check that the foreigner has the right level of insurance and confirmed booking in a designated hotel along with prepaid Covid checks (they may have expanded it to proof of vaccination also?). Until they drop the requirements for insurance and SHA+ hotels, I can’t see them removing the COE? It’s little more than an admin check but a big pain in the ass