Jump to content

News Forum - November reopening to international tourists predicts 1.5 trillion baht


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, PohTou said:

I am 78 years old. I cannot qualify for the Thai Covid insurance. Therefore I cannot go - period. I have already canceled my flights to Bangkok for November 10. My flight from HKG to BKK was canceled by the airline, so the rest of the trip was useless anyway. I have received a refund for my ticket. I do not mind paying for insurance, but I read that it would last only 2 weeks?  (If I could even get it). I also want to travel to Laos, but there are no flights to Vientiane from Thailand and back to Thailand. How would I go back and forth between Thailand and Laos? I have a son and his family in Thailand Bangkok and many close friends and “family” in Laos. If the insurance age limit is not eliminated and travel between Thailand and Laos is not free, then I will not go. I have had 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine and 2 days ago I received a third “booster” shot of Pfizer. The whole Thai system of entry for fully vaccinated tourists is just not rational.  Please think about it rather than listen to politicians. Phuket is a prime example - control the entry of fully vaccinated travellers, but allow Thai people to enter with no restrictions. Result - many cases of community spread and only a few cases of positive tests among the foreign travellers. Who is the threat to Thai people? - not the fully vaccinated foreigners.

Hi

 

One of my friend, 75 years old, recently came back from Europe, he had to show a proof of Thai insurance for COVID for get COE.

I understood that COE requires one insurance approved by the Thai government, which listed few suppliers only.

If you have friend or family, they can maybe contact a local broker and get you a quote/contact. It costed my friend less then 100 euros, in top of his regular health insurance.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wormwood said:

Thus far we have seen that Thailand promises big and never deliverers. Normally they restate the restrictions they are already doing a little differently and call it “opening up the country”. Thus far there is still a seven day quarantine for vaccinated people along with tons of required insurance and other documentation. It is more headache than it’s worth. If I were a tourist I would just go to the Caribbean or Europe as it is far less restricted. Thailand is strangling itself. But I guess everyone already knows this so I just started the obvious.

....and the Thai authorities continue to strangle themselves in the weave that is repeated and fanciful rhetoric. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PohTou said:

I am 78 years old. I cannot qualify for the Thai Covid insurance. Therefore I cannot go - period. I have already canceled my flights to Bangkok for November 10. My flight from HKG to BKK was canceled by the airline, so the rest of the trip was useless anyway. I have received a refund for my ticket. I do not mind paying for insurance, but I read that it would last only 2 weeks?  (If I could even get it).

You can purchase Covid Insurance up to age 99 here Home - Covid 19 Insurance (tgia.org) from periods of cover from 30 days to 12 months.

1 hour ago, PohTou said:

I also want to travel to Laos, but there are no flights to Vientiane from Thailand and back to Thailand. How would I go back and forth between Thailand and Laos?

You can't, borders are currently closed.

Wait for better times or less restrictions but travelling for tourism purposes between different Countries is fraught with issues at the moment.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Yes, since yesterday Muang Mai is closed and doesn't reopen until Tuesday. Interesting as well that early yesterday morning they were at 160 positive results at the test site opposite the Government office at Ping river. But for the whole day they quote only 225. Maybe they used ATK's as they're not in the official figures?

I wouldn't bank on anyone using their brains to consider low vaccination rates and the risk of spreading the virus through movement, let alone the travelers that don't even bother wearing a face mask anymore. They'll just open, move the goalposts and massage the figures. Who cares about the dead. Anything for the Holy Baht.

open now...or become an economy like somalia, syria,venezuela myanmar central african republic bangladesh etc etc ...poor, corrupt ,violent and crime ridden...with a negative economical  spin u never get out...

thai lives of tourist bhat...mostly ...officially 22 percent in real i guess 50 percent...cheap rice is cheaper elsewhere and I dont see any inventions near or far...any thai elon musk..?.or a thai bill gates..?? .dont think so...so they stuck w. the falangs...and it works as long as sx is cheap...

the factory's moved to cambodia etc...

alternative eco tourism..??.not really...cheap charlies en masse ( with a few expections ) preferable from china...

a type who dont give a shit if nature dies...cause they throw their plastic everywher etc...( anyway in good company with the average thai ...the forest burner )

and the good old pttaya crowd...millions of young pu...ys for rent a permanent stream of income for the generals...

hold high the traditions...thats why

...now covid ...a game changer ???

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where are they getting those predictions? 

Maybe no news, but here's my experience from going to Koh Samui after day 1. 

 

No one is here. 

Idk where they are getting the numbers from but I went to almost all famous places in Koh Samui today. I was the only one there. Maybe a couple of 2 were there too. 

After day 1 I'm so depressed of seeing almost everything closed here. Especially seeing some restaurants open in the hope people will come and eat. But no one visited. 

Today I walked into a souvenir shop and gave the man there a tip just to help a bit. He almost cried because he lost almost everything. It's really heartbraking how their reaction is from just giving something extra. 

No money goes to these people. In Bangkok people are being taken care of with some discount on electricity and water. These people don't get anything like that.  You know why? They say it's Samui+. No curfew. That'll help them. 

I've got news for you. After 8, it's even more like a ghost town than on midday. 

All I hear from the news is that millions of people are already here but where are they? Up the hill in their luxury hotels where the money goes straight in the pockets of you know who? Or are there actually not as much as they claim? 

To get on the island was a drama tho. I've been vaccinated twice. Got a test at the pier for 390 THB. Then I thought I was done. When the ferry arrived at Koh Samui, I still was called to fill out a paper which I need to update every day. I have now 20 new friends in Line. All of them are those QR codes I had to scan for idk what purpose. 

Anyone here can yell: bUt wHaT aBoUt CovId??? 

Even they will say these regulations are a bit too much and too difficult for nothing. 

Until 2 months ago, everything was kind of ok, but now these people who had to stay here were allowed to go back to their own country, everything went down. All businesses are closed, at big tourist attractions you'll be the only one. 

Maybe for some here it'll be a good idea to come here too and instead of getting to a big hotel, choose a local hotel (you can. Don't let them fool you that those big hotels are the only option!)

For these people, you could really make their day and go to their hotel, restaurant etc. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Where are they getting those predictions? 

Maybe no news, but here's my experience from going to Koh Samui after day 1. 

No one is here. 

Idk where they are getting the numbers from but I went to almost all famous places in Koh Samui today. I was the only one there. Maybe a couple of 2 were there too. 

After day 1 I'm so depressed of seeing almost everything closed here. Especially seeing some restaurants open in the hope people will come and eat. But no one visited. 

Today I walked into a souvenir shop and gave the man there a tip just to help a bit. He almost cried because he lost almost everything. It's really heartbraking how their reaction is from just giving something extra. 

No money goes to these people. In Bangkok people are being taken care of with some discount on electricity and water. These people don't get anything like that.  You know why? They say it's Samui+. No curfew. That'll help them. 

I've got news for you. After 8, it's even more like a ghost town than on midday. 

All I hear from the news is that millions of people are already here but where are they? Up the hill in their luxury hotels where the money goes straight in the pockets of you know who? Or are there actually not as much as they claim? 

To get on the island was a drama tho. I've been vaccinated twice. Got a test at the pier for 390 THB. Then I thought I was done. When the ferry arrived at Koh Samui, I still was called to fill out a paper which I need to update every day. I have now 20 new friends in Line. All of them are those QR codes I had to scan for idk what purpose. 

Anyone here can yell: bUt wHaT aBoUt CovId??? 

Even they will say these regulations are a bit too much and too difficult for nothing. 

Until 2 months ago, everything was kind of ok, but now these people who had to stay here were allowed to go back to their own country, everything went down. All businesses are closed, at big tourist attractions you'll be the only one. 

Maybe for some here it'll be a good idea to come here too and instead of getting to a big hotel, choose a local hotel (you can. Don't let them fool you that those big hotels are the only option!)

For these people, you could really make their day and go to their hotel, restaurant etc. 

Besides this, especially for only a few people who want to lock every home as tight as possible and wrap everything in plastic so no one can get Covid, even after vaccination. 

From all people I've asked here (I've talked to quite a few already, because it's interesting to hear their point of view) 100% have said to be tired of all these restrictions and want to open up. After asking them if that's the general view of the people living here, they all admitted it was how everyone here was thinking. 

Just give everyone the choice to vaccinate. Until a certain time. Then open up. No vaccine? Too bad, you've had your chance (still can get it) but if you get sick, that's up to you. If you spread it, it won't be a problem for vaccinated people, only unvaccinated people (again, som nam na) 

There's some weird thing going on where if you look online, it's all lockdown lockdown lockdown. 

But when you actually go outside and talk to average people here, you only hear open up open up open up. 

Thanks to this lockdown, the only people being taken care of are people who can definitely take care of themselves for the years coming. People who already are close to nothing, will have even less than nothing if they don't open up soon. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got a flight booked to Thailand (Bangkok) late December. I hope by then that things will be clearer. I've been once with the COE process so I'm familiar with that. I expect that a COE will still be required - so that they can verify your vaccination status and insurance cover. What isn't clear to me just now is the quarantine requirements from 1 Nov. Could be a 7 day ASQ, or just a 7-day Sandbox SHA+ type thing, or maybe no restrictions at all. They'll probably want one Covid test after arrival so I guess you'll be restricted in some way up to that point.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

 

Just give everyone the choice to vaccinate. Until a certain time. Then open up. No vaccine? Too bad, you've had your chance (still can get it) but if you get sick, that's up to you. If you spread it, it won't be a problem for vaccinated people, only unvaccinated people (again, som nam na) 

 

I don't have the same experience at all. Here there has been a constant shortage of vaccines and people are worried about all the talk of opening up. People want the shots, but vaccination locations remain closed as they get no supply.

The people who are eager to open, are the ones confident after receiving their own jabs and selfishly not thinking about others anymore.

To set a time limit is fine, but only if until then there are vaccines available so people can actually get jabbed!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

tuvoc,im also hopeing to return to bangkok in nov.i hope they drop the insurance required as i and others cant even buy it due to age.so thats holding up many who are wanting to visit thailand.chock dee to everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ronbkk said:

I am writing from Mumbai(India)

The VFS which processes the Thai visa ( under the directions of the Thai Embassy here has informed me that it will take them over a Month to issue a Tourist visa.

Over and above they want a “CONTINUOUS” Balance of INDIAN RUPESS FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND “ reflecting in her bank account for PAST SIX MONTHS.  Which amounts to over THB 200,000/- 

I can Guarantee that in No Country in the world ( not even Thailand) Will anyone keep that kind of money in a crappy Checking account.

The Thai Government has been in Perpetual Illusions of the Billions and Trillions of Bhat being spent by Tourist when they have Miserably failed on all Fronts.

Agree with your sentiments, but just to split hairs with you, I would regularly keep that much money in a checking account until such time as I transfer, up to the maximum transfer limit which is around 550k at today's exchange rate 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 weeks away, and still no mention of how people are to get to HH or Pattaya from Soyouwannaboomboom Airport. 

Be good to know what is entailed, but I'm presuming they don't know themselves yet 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Nostradamus, fortune tellers, tarot cards ... take your pick.

It's all very well making a prediction, it's like opening a new business without a business plan.  Things only work out if all the ducks line up in a neat row.

Tough to do when all the ducks are in noodle soup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meanwhile Cancun, Mexico just saw a record amount of tourists arrive since 2019 of 1.6 million in one month. There's no quarantine, mobile tracking, PCR tests and all the bars are open. Did I mention they have the second biggest coral reef in the world?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So if this plan goes through to allow unrestricted travel to Bangkok plus other areas for vaccinated tourists on the 1st November, does it also mean the sandbox rules in Phuket will be cancelled too so we can go there with no restrictions or hotel quarantine?

Edited by JamesR
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Agree with your sentiments, but just to split hairs with you, I would regularly keep that much money in a checking account until such time as I transfer, up to the maximum transfer limit which is around 550k at today's exchange rate 

It can also be a deposit account which pays interest which can be used to show the amount over the six months.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Pi_Tim said:

Hi

One of my friend, 75 years old, recently came back from Europe, he had to show a proof of Thai insurance for COVID for get COE.

I understood that COE requires one insurance approved by the Thai government, which listed few suppliers only.

If you have friend or family, they can maybe contact a local broker and get you a quote/contact. It costed my friend less then 100 euros, in top of his regular health insurance.

It’s odd how it varies so much. I have a friend for whom I got him a COE and he had a U.K. insurer provide him with the required amount of Covid cover. I think it was Staysure but would need to check. It certainly wasn’t anything associated with a recommended list from Thailand. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, JamesR said:

So if this plan goes through to allow unrestricted travel to Bangkok plus other areas for vaccinated tourists on the 1st November, does it also mean the sandbox rules in Phuket will be cancelled too so we can go there with no restrictions or hotel quarantine?

There isn't any hotel quarantine in Phuket. The requirement is that you stay in an SHA+ hotel. You can come and go as you please. 

Presumably it will be the same in the areas that are supposed to open up in November.

I don't see this requirement changing.

Baby steps......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, farang said:

tuvoc,im also hopeing to return to bangkok in nov.i hope they drop the insurance required as i and others cant even buy it due to age.so thats holding up many who are wanting to visit thailand.chock dee to everyone.

 

I doubt they will drop the insurance requirement. Hopefully there must be some options for you.

Fortunately I'm OK in this respect. I have a Cigna Close Care policy that is designed for expats that I renew every year which covers me for any in-patient treatment in Thailand.  I contacted the broker and they have provided a certificate of Covid Cover to accompany the normal policy certificate, so I'm good to go. No need for me to purchase anything additional. At the moment I split my time between UK and Thailand, but will probably be retiring there permanently some time in 2022. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"The goal is to open without quarantine restrictions for international tourists, barring any unforeseen surge in Covid-19 infections too dire to contain.

The other conditions for visitors are that they must be fully jabbed and test negative for Covid-19 before arrival."

That's fine - but tell my local Thai embassy as they are still demanding 7 days in a quarantine hotel, when I have my own place in one of those areas.

Plus, see: No mention of insurance. Tell my local embassy that too and save me 7,500b. 

Because right now, with SHA+ and insurance, you ain't gonna get any tourists - only family and business - the real tourists will go to eg Mexico, an example given by another OP here.

Edited by Cape
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

There isn't any hotel quarantine in Phuket. The requirement is that you stay in an SHA+ hotel. You can come and go as you please. 

Presumably it will be the same in the areas that are supposed to open up in November.

I don't see this requirement changing.

Baby steps......

I still don’t understand how international travellers will get to places like Pattaya and Hua Hin when they land at Suvarnabhumi? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I still don’t understand how international travellers will get to places like Pattaya and Hua Hin when they land at Suvarnabhumi? 

If it’s anything like the Phuket sandbox, you will find out a week after opening day. Personally I’d still wait until December or January. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EdwardV said:

If it’s anything like the Phuket sandbox, you will find out a week after opening day. Personally I’d still wait until December or January. 

Yes, no plans to travel back any earlier than January, possibly February. Hopefully there won’t be another wave of Covid infections before then…🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be more than pleased if no one showed up. 

As 90% of the population isn't that dependent on the goddamn tourism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rain said:

I'd be more than pleased if no one showed up. 

As 90% of the population isn't that dependent on the goddamn tourism.

F**k 'em. 

So you think a loss of 10%-15% of official GDP, plus possibly another 5%-10% of unofficial GDP from foreign tourism, not to mention the amount of foreign currency inflows this attracts, won’t have an impact on the wider economy? Simply incredible. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use