News Forum - Thailand nabs many spots in Conde Nast Traveler’s annual list

Thaiger

Despite the decimated tourism economy due to Covid-19, Conde Nast Traveler still ranks locations in Thailand amongst the top in the world in their annual Readers’ Choice Awards. Bangkok was ranked 9th in the world’s “Best Big Cities” while 3 of the top 10 islands of Asia were located in Thailand, and Hua Hin earned a nod for having the number 1 spa resort in the world. 2021 marked the 34th annual award list where Conde Nast Traveler readers vote across a variety of travel categories including best country, city, island, resort, etc. This year, Bangkok received a nod as […]

The post Thailand nabs many spots in Conde Nast Traveler’s annual list appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is not meaningful. It is based on historical data and simply does not reflect Thailand of today. Publications must come clean about the devastation wreaked by the lockdowns and closures, about the huge number of businesses that have  gone bust, about the rampant unemployment and the fact that until further notice anyone visiting the limited number of open locations will be living in an open prison where they cannot move freely, where there are no bars, no alcohol in restaurants, & no entertainment venues. And the future policy of the government in "cleansing" the industry of undesirable tourists will simply ensure that tourism will not recover anytime soon. As an investor in a tourism enterprise that has been flattened by the last 20 months I dearly want to see business return, but there is such a thing as telling the truth because unhappy prisoner tourists will return home and tell the reality to everyone they know. 

Phuket is so filthy the sea is murky I wouldn’t swim in it. Probably cleaner now but won’t take long to be where it was again once the crowds return 

• Like 1

"Thailand also achieved several more prominent mentions on the annual list, most notably the Chiva-Som resort in Hua Hin was named the number one spa resort in the world. A quick check online shows the current nightly rate for 2 at around 140,000 baht, though prices drop to the 60,000s range per night in January."

If anyone is foolish enough to pay 140,000 Baht a night for two people...

...I don't think much of their opinion.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"Thailand also achieved several more prominent mentions on the annual list, most notably the Chiva-Som resort in Hua Hin was named the number one spa resort in the world. A quick check online shows the current nightly rate for 2 at around 140,000 baht, though prices drop to the 60,000s range per night in January."

It's not exactly your average hotel-style resort.  As a wellness health spa resort it competes with many Euro or UAE owned and operated properties located all around the World.  This from the company website:-

Chiva-Som International Health Resorts Co. Ltd. is a private company that  was founded in Thailand in 1993 by Thailand's former Deputy Prime Minister, Mr. Boonchu Rojanastien. The Board of Governors includes former Thai Prime Minister, Mr. Anand Panyarachun, former Deputy Minister of Public Health, Dr. Athasit Vejjajiva, and well-known Thai business personalities. 

Chiva-Som Hua Hin, Asia's first luxury health resort, occupies 7 acres of beachfront land and opened in 1995 for a total investment of US$26 million. The 54-room resort continued to grow in reputation and is now consistently recognised as one of the world's leading wellness destination by the readers of the industry's most prestigious media. 

13 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

It's not exactly your average hotel-style resort.  As a wellness health spa resort it competes with many Euro or UAE owned and operated properties located all around the World.  This from the company website:-

Chiva-Som International Health Resorts Co. Ltd. is a private company that  was founded in Thailand in 1993 by Thailand's former Deputy Prime Minister, Mr. Boonchu Rojanastien. The Board of Governors includes former Thai Prime Minister, Mr. Anand Panyarachun, former Deputy Minister of Public Health, Dr. Athasit Vejjajiva, and well-known Thai business personalities. 

Chiva-Som Hua Hin, Asia's first luxury health resort, occupies 7 acres of beachfront land and opened in 1995 for a total investment of US$26 million. The 54-room resort continued to grow in reputation and is now consistently recognised as one of the world's leading wellness destination by the readers of the industry's most prestigious media. 

Respectfully, I do not understand your post.

Yes, you have quoted from the company's website (https://www.chivasom.com/partner) and it is a nice write up composed by a paid PR hack trying to sell exclusivity.

How does a nice write up composed by a paid PR hack equal a proper valuation? You have quoted a write up by the company itself as proof it is a wonderful company; it is hardly an independent opinion.

I read it and think it is a place for rich inbred 'born-lucky' types.

I'll stand by my post; I do not trust the opinion of anyone who is willing to fork over 140,000 baht a night for two people; these people aren't rating quality, they are rating snobbishness.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Yes, you have quoted from the company's website (https://www.chivasom.com/partner) and it is a nice write up composed by a paid PR hack trying to sell exclusivity.

How does a nice write up composed by a paid PR hack equal a proper valuation? You have quoted a write up by the company itself as proof it is a wonderful company; it is hardly an independent opinion.

I'll stand by my post; I do not trust the opinion of anyone who is willing to fork over 140,000 baht a night for two people; these people aren't rating quality, they are rating snobbishness.

I like 5 star hotels but I couldn't afford 140k/nt

But people who can, 140k/nt is like 5k/nt a night to someone else

You never been to the place, so it's ridiculous for you to say what the quality is 

• Like 1

These places can be rated 10 Star...it doesn't matter...if they're empty....they'll go bust eventually. The first commentor is absolutely right. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pompies said:

This is not meaningful. It is based on historical data and simply does not reflect Thailand of today. Publications must come clean about the devastation wreaked by the lockdowns and closures, about the huge number of businesses that have  gone bust, about the rampant unemployment and the fact that until further notice anyone visiting the limited number of open locations will be living in an open prison where they cannot move freely, where there are no bars, no alcohol in restaurants, & no entertainment venues. And the future policy of the government in "cleansing" the industry of undesirable tourists will simply ensure that tourism will not recover anytime soon. As an investor in a tourism enterprise that has been flattened by the last 20 months I dearly want to see business return, but there is such a thing as telling the truth because unhappy prisoner tourists will return home and tell the reality to everyone they know. 

It is just the readers choice awards. Voted by their readers. A quick look at their website shows blog style writings about positive things like scenery and cuisine. Hardly the sort of readers who have taken note about the effects of COVID and government policies. And it is this reason that Thailand, once open, will remain popular no matter what.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

People who are willing to pay 140K฿ a night pretty much don't care what anybody who isn't thinks. It's a different world once you leave the ground.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JamesE said:

People who are willing to pay 140K฿ a night pretty much don't care what anybody who isn't thinks. It's a different world once you leave the ground.

It always amazes me how offended people get about other people spending their own money......

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Despite the decimated tourism economy due to Covid-19, Conde Nast Traveler still ranks locations in Thailand amongst the top in the world in their annual Readers’ Choice Awards. Bangkok was ranked 9th in the world’s “Best Big Cities” while 3 of the top 10 islands of Asia were located in Thailand, and Hua Hin earned a nod for having the number 1 spa resort in the world. 2021 marked the 34th annual award list where Conde Nast Traveler readers vote across a variety of travel categories including best country, city, island, resort, etc. This year, Bangkok received a nod as […]

The post Thailand nabs many spots in Conde Nast Traveler’s annual list appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thailand is truly blessed with natural beauty, awesome beaches and beautiful mountains and landscape, not to mention its great food. Looking forward to go to these award places and beyond into the less travelled path to explore Thailand.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:24 PM, Shade_Wilder said:

"... most notably the Chiva-Som resort in Hua Hin was named the number one spa resort in the world. A quick check online shows the current nightly rate for 2 at around 140,000 baht, though prices drop to the 60,000s range per night in January."

I have to agree, since however little $5,000 a night means to you it's still about value for money rather than cost - and whatever they offer, it's hard to see how it can be worth more than twice as much now than it is in January.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, Shade_Wilder said:

I though it was in my budget but then I relaised there was 2 more Zeros then I could afford🤔

• Haha 1