Future of Pattaya's tourism industry

MTa449

In contrast to " Dan's " opinion on Pattaya's compatibility with other popular Thai vacation attractions I believe Pattaya historically has been more popular than Phuket and other vacation hot spots in country. Just a throw back to the  pre, present, and post Vietnam war day's, months ,years ...  Pattaya was an important logistical port and RR (rest/relaxation for the armed forces) annex to Bangkok which developed and economically thrived during that era. Fast forward to 2021...yes I agree that the old " bar" scene is petering off but Pattaya's hotel, restaurant, resort business demographics has been modernizing before " COVID" ! I've been to Thailand many times and visited Pattaya nearly every time. What i've observed over the past five years is the change in tourism demographics from back packers, to more family orientated hotels,resorts , parks as well as esthetically modernizing beach fronts throughout the area . For example the removal of some trees along the beach fronts and creating a paved walkway along the coastlines boardering hotels, restaurants,resort businesses and at the same time diminishing the " bar girl/hostel"  establishments and catering more to restaurant/bar live entertainment venue's that are more attractive to families ! Pattaya's compatibility is not the issue ... Pattaya's sustainable development is ,and as a historically popular night life destination its future in the " after COVID era" is assured only the demographics are changing Pattaya's tourism industry for the better !

Edited by MTa449
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MTa449 said:

What i've observed over the past five years is the change in tourism demographics from back packers, to more family orientated hotels,r

I lived their for ten years. Out most afternoons and nights. 

I can't ever recall meeting a backpacker. There was a small place at the Suki end of Pattaya Klang, that was hostel for backpackers. Never saw anyone come in or out of there.

Tony had his camping site near the corner of third and south road, it closed because no-one ever used it.

There are 100 better places for a family to go in Thailand. Some families do go there though and I went there as a kid in a double family group in the 70s and 80s. 

If their are no hookers it will end up being a mainly Thai from Bangkok crowd IMO.

5 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I lived their for ten years. Out most afternoons and nights. 

I can't ever recall meeting a backpacker. There was a small place at the Suki end of Pattaya Klang, that was hostel for backpackers. Never saw anyone come in or out of there.

Tony had his camping site near the corner of third and south road, it closed because no-one ever used it.

There are 100 better places for a family to go in Thailand. Some families do go there though and I went there as a kid in a double family group in the 70s and 80s. 

If their are no hookers it will end up being a mainly Thai from Bangkok crowd IMO.

Thais put very little emphasis on how beautiful a beach is 

If it serves good food on a beach, that's all they need

Look at Cha Am

And if they did make the transition to a domestic Thai destination I think it would do extremely well 

It is much closer to Cha Am and Cha Am is packed with Thais whenever there is any sort of holiday or time off

I hate Pattaya but we head down every once and a while to stay at the Dusit Thani. We love that hotel.....

Pattaya aint ever going away - it is old and over-developed, but it aint going anywhere. Just like all the other big spots in Thailand - it will just change. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

hate Pattaya but we head down every once and a while to stay at the Dusit Thani. We love that hotel.....

The Saturday night buffet at the Dusit was one of the best. And Mantra Sunday brunch buffet over the road which was the best.

Closed now I assume. Sad.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

The Saturday night buffet at the Dusit was one of the best. And Mantra Sunday brunch buffet over the road which was the best.

I love it all

It's one of the only hotels where we basically stay at the hotel the whole time 

Love the location on that bluff at the end of the beach 

Restaurants are great 

True.. I stand corrected on back packers can't argue with you guys that live there for 10+ yrs, but the bar scene is definitely changed as well as some of the beach fronts. Anyway my point is that Pattaya's future is assured regardless of compatibility with Phuket or the likes thereof and I believe that post "COVID" (pending economic recovery/revitalization) its growth will be sustainable due to the changing demographics and future government plans to attract more " higher end " tourists. I don't necessarily agree with that but it is the governments compass heading into the future of tourism !

• 1 month later...

I firmly believe Pattaya will be around for a long, long time. Soi 6 will not be converted into Art Museums, coffee shops, city parks and picnic spots. The Thai government can try to "attract high end tourists" until the cows come home, but that money only spreads so far. The regular unwashed masses that travel to Thailand for beautiful beaches, beer bars, cheap massages and a fling with a much younger gal aren't going anywhere unless the government can find a way to prevent non millionaires from entering without destroying the already damaged tourist industry.

There are thousands of mid to lower cost hotels that will not be used by high end tourists, beer bars, massage places, and every sort of business that has traditionally relied on the foot traffic of regular old tourists. These have been in full swing since the Vietnam conflict. No amount of Tourist gentrification is going to be able to change that. A family can stay in a Jomtien condo that looks like a water park and not worry about having to explain "Special fancy ladies" to the little ones. A retiree that is more interested in sowing his last few wild oats has plenty of guest houses or little budget hotels along second road from Na kluea to soi Buakhao and can pursue his activities without bothering anyone.

Covid has F@#ked everything up in pretty much every country. The world is crying out, begging for a return to normalcy. Governments that are trying to use this as an opportunity to push some kind of agenda are simply going to fail. The Mayor of Pattaya wants the city to re-open, like yesterday. I speak to quite a few Thai friends and acquaintances almost every day that are in a holding pattern... Squeaking by, cutting corners, reducing what they spend and weathering the storm until tourists return. Not mega wealthy Chinese tourists, not domestic bus tours, but regular old stinky, fat ass Americans, Brits, Aussies, Germans and Russians. Y'know, the ones that want to drink and F@#k and spend a little of that disposable income to have a good time and get away from the doldrums of the increasingly stressful world we live in.

I hate to piss off the vocal minority of "woketivists" out there but... Essan girls aren't learning to code. They aren't using this opportunity to learn how to sell real estate or get college educations. They are quite desperate to go back to their degrading profession of playing hostess to "Pum Pui Farang" because they don't want to butcher chickens, scrub toilets or work in a factory for ten bucks a day. They weren't tricked into leaving Essan to become prostitutes, they knew exactly what was on the menu before they left. They are just as anxious to get back to what they do as the "sexpats" that pursue them. Thailand is not a traditionally Christian culture. Listening to the pundits "clutch their pearls" while they discuss how western immorality is destroying the beautiful Thai culture is almost comical to me.

In closing; Fish are gonna keep swimming, the sun is gonna keep rising, and people are going to keep enjoying Pattaya for what it is, what it has been and what it will continue to be. If you look at it as a den of villany and filth, a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah or a fun little beach town... Well, that is up to you. Pattaya is what it is. I have never seen the Thai people protesting on beach road telling Farang to get out, or protesters on Soi 6 telling them to shut down. Personally, I am dreaming of Thai Pad noodles and shrimp and a Cambodian girl with a smile that can light up a room. When I am getting a ten dollar massage, a haircut, a pedicure, a beer or a meal... I treat everyone I meet as a potential future friend. I am not religious but I go to temple because it feels good for the soul. I smile as I politely decline roving gangs of aggressive ladyboys, I walk through the smell of garbage, urine and stale beer with a smile on my face. I know to stay away from Tuk Tuks, jet ski rental hustlers and a few other places. For me Pattaya is MY paradise. I feel at home there and everything I could ever want is just a baht bus ride away. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 10/10/2021 at 8:32 AM, RobMuir said:

The weekly buffets at the Montien were spectacular.  I always enjoyed the Italian buffet on Wednesday.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2021 at 8:31 PM, Danbrooks2k said:

I firmly believe Pattaya will be around for a long, long time. Soi 6 will not be converted into Art Museums, coffee shops, city parks and picnic spots. The Thai government can try to "attract high end tourists" until the cows come home, but that money only spreads so far. The regular unwashed masses that travel to Thailand for beautiful beaches, beer bars, cheap massages and a fling with a much younger gal aren't going anywhere unless the government can find a way to prevent non millionaires from entering without destroying the already damaged tourist industry.

There are thousands of mid to lower cost hotels that will not be used by high end tourists, beer bars, massage places, and every sort of business that has traditionally relied on the foot traffic of regular old tourists. These have been in full swing since the Vietnam conflict. No amount of Tourist gentrification is going to be able to change that. A family can stay in a Jomtien condo that looks like a water park and not worry about having to explain "Special fancy ladies" to the little ones. A retiree that is more interested in sowing his last few wild oats has plenty of guest houses or little budget hotels along second road from Na kluea to soi Buakhao and can pursue his activities without bothering anyone.

Covid has F@#ked everything up in pretty much every country. The world is crying out, begging for a return to normalcy. Governments that are trying to use this as an opportunity to push some kind of agenda are simply going to fail. The Mayor of Pattaya wants the city to re-open, like yesterday. I speak to quite a few Thai friends and acquaintances almost every day that are in a holding pattern... Squeaking by, cutting corners, reducing what they spend and weathering the storm until tourists return. Not mega wealthy Chinese tourists, not domestic bus tours, but regular old stinky, fat ass Americans, Brits, Aussies, Germans and Russians. Y'know, the ones that want to drink and F@#k and spend a little of that disposable income to have a good time and get away from the doldrums of the increasingly stressful world we live in.

I hate to piss off the vocal minority of "woketivists" out there but... Essan girls aren't learning to code. They aren't using this opportunity to learn how to sell real estate or get college educations. They are quite desperate to go back to their degrading profession of playing hostess to "Pum Pui Farang" because they don't want to butcher chickens, scrub toilets or work in a factory for ten bucks a day. They weren't tricked into leaving Essan to become prostitutes, they knew exactly what was on the menu before they left. They are just as anxious to get back to what they do as the "sexpats" that pursue them. Thailand is not a traditionally Christian culture. Listening to the pundits "clutch their pearls" while they discuss how western immorality is destroying the beautiful Thai culture is almost comical to me.

In closing; Fish are gonna keep swimming, the sun is gonna keep rising, and people are going to keep enjoying Pattaya for what it is, what it has been and what it will continue to be. If you look at it as a den of villany and filth, a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah or a fun little beach town... Well, that is up to you. Pattaya is what it is. I have never seen the Thai people protesting on beach road telling Farang to get out, or protesters on Soi 6 telling them to shut down. Personally, I am dreaming of Thai Pad noodles and shrimp and a Cambodian girl with a smile that can light up a room. When I am getting a ten dollar massage, a haircut, a pedicure, a beer or a meal... I treat everyone I meet as a potential future friend. I am not religious but I go to temple because it feels good for the soul. I smile as I politely decline roving gangs of aggressive ladyboys, I walk through the smell of garbage, urine and stale beer with a smile on my face. I know to stay away from Tuk Tuks, jet ski rental hustlers and a few other places. For me Pattaya is MY paradise. I feel at home there and everything I could ever want is just a baht bus ride away. 

Thanks for your post )

Brutal honesty delivered in a well manicured writing style is always welcome in my book.

cheers

On 12/6/2021 at 8:31 PM, Danbrooks2k said:

So much truth in that post.

I disagree slightly on the gentrification of Pattaya - which is already happening, look at Beach Road, Dusit to soi6 as a small example.

I don't see soi6 being demolished in the near future, although it will eventually. That will tidy up the whole stretch to Pattaya Klang.

Of course, if those in control had realised the extent to which Pattaya would grow, they would have zoned the first 2 blocks from Beach Road as 'family areas' and zoned the non-existent prostitution back in soi Buakhao to Third Road.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, Chaimai said:

I don't see soi6 being demolished in the near future, although it will eventually. That will tidy up the whole stretch to Pattaya Klang.

Of course, if those in control had realised the extent to which Pattaya would grow, they would have zoned the first 2 blocks from Beach Road as 'family areas' and zoned the non-existent prostitution back in soi Buakhao to Third Road.

Too much money would have been left on the table.  Hands are out left , right 'n' center.

" cash in my phocket Phattayaa, better than phuket"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/9/2021 at 8:47 AM, yselmike said:

Backpacker's in Pattaya? The old rough guides and lonely planets were very dismissive of Pattaya, probably still are.

In the 2006-10 era ,  walking street was packed with young travelers. They just weren't necessarily backpacker types. More like 3 week millionaire types. I was one of them. Lots of Aussies. But plenty of Canadian and American too. They didn't stay at hostels. Just the basic 2-3 stars further in land 2nd road or more.