News Forum - 2 foreign men arrested for stealing card data for ATM fraud

Thaiger

A Romanian man and a Malaysian man have been arrested in Hua Hin for allegedly skimming data from hundreds of credit cards and using the card information to withdraw cash from ATMs in the Bangkok and Hua Hin area. The two men, aged 39 and 33 respectively, were arrested by investigators from the Immigration Bureau at a hotel in the beach resort town in Prachuap Khiri Khan province. They were in possession of hundreds of fake electronic cards they used to withdraw money from ATMs as well as mobile phones and 6 bank books. Kasikorn Bank has been working alongside […]

The post 2 foreign men arrested for stealing card data for ATM fraud appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

4 minutes ago, sputnik said:

any idea how to avoid this when withdrawing money ?????

Remember the good old days when we weren't obsessively dependent, controlled and conditioned by everything automation, electronic and IT? 

19 minutes ago, sputnik said:

I only use ATM boxes stationed inside banks. A clever crook could of course put the skimmers anywhere, but they have lots of better options...

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, sputnik said:

What I do I always pull on everything to see or it is really stuck

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

I only use ATM boxes stationed inside banks. A clever crook could of course put the skimmers anywhere, but they have lots of better options...

Good advice. ATM’s in busy entertainment areas are more risky. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paco said:

So you are the one vandalising all the ATM’s around the place 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sputnik said:

Withdraw money over the counter from the cashier , also save the 220 Baht ATM fee

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Withdraw money over the counter from the cashier , also save the 220 Baht ATM fee

The vast majority would be local cards - there is no fee. (apart from the annoying 10 baht 'other bank' fee)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Paco said:

Yes. I was advised by my bank to do this at any atm

• Cool 1

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

The vast majority would be local cards - there is no fee. (apart from the annoying 10 baht 'other bank' fee)

Yes, you would only save the 220 Baht if you were required to pay it in the first place

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Same as I do. Even did it yesterday. Skimmers will wiggle and should come off. I actually came across one a long time ago in CM

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Yes. I understood it as a 10Baht fee between banks and ziltch if using the Bank that issued the card at its own branch. However over the counter remains fool proof.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Yes. I understood it as a 10Baht fee between banks and ziltch if using the Bank that issued the card at its own branch. However over the counter remains fool proof.

10 seconds at an ATM or take a ticket and wait your turn in a bank - nah I'll take my chance with the scammers !

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

These devices are easily concealed over the normal card slot of an ATM but as the card slides into the machine, it can capture all the important data such as the card number, cardholder name, expiration date, and PIN number.

They do not capture the PIN number. It is not encoded on the card,

The thing needed to capture the PIN is a hidden video camera looking down on the keypad, to record it that way.

When you enter your PIN always put one hand immediately above the keypad, to mask the PIN being entered. The CCTV camera is stuck on, overlooking the keypad.

One way the camera is sometimes concealed is within a small leaflet holder with tourist leaflets, stuck on the side wall of the ATM near the keypad.
Sometimes it's stuck on the underside of the top of the ATM 'roof', looking like a very small hemispherical unit.

• Like 5

And again, it is Kasikorn. Why it is almost always Kasikorn?

Can it be, they are the only bank, still using this kind of ATM card slot?

And, of course, I am missing the info with "they need to scam the pin with a cam" info, in the article.

So unless something changed, in the past years, there must be a camera, recording the keypad input

23 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

And again, it is Kasikorn. Why it is almost always Kasikorn?

Can it be, they are the only bank, still using this kind of ATM card slot?

And, of course, I am missing the info with "they need to scam the pin with a cam" info, in the article.

So unless something changed, in the past years, there must be a camera, recording the keypad input

Software in general of the banks in Thailand are old... I never keep to much cash in my bank for that kind of reasons

14 hours ago, sputnik said:

1) cover your hand when entering your PIN. The skimmers capture your card details, they don’t capture your PIN number. A micro camera installed by the thieves are used to record your fingers entering your pin. 
2) Sign up with your bank to receive SMS messages whenever a deposit or withdrawal occurs on your account. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Paco said:

Excellent idea! Didn't really think of that, but I will start doing it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wasminbe said:

Excellent idea! Didn't really think of that, but I will start doing it

Do not pull that thard that you break of a real piece of the atm 555

4 minutes ago, Paco said:

Do not pull that thard that you break of a real piece of the atm 555

No change there then.
(sorry for the bad joke!)

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2021 at 12:34 PM, Rain said:

Remember the good old days when we weren't obsessively dependent, controlled and conditioned by everything automation, electronic and IT? 

I remember the bad old days.

We had to use cheques, if we needed cash we would queue up for an hour at a bank, now I can do it all from my iPhone app including sending money to any bank in the world, pay bills,  get an instant message on the app every time I used my ATM card so I could see if it is valid transaction, if invalid you can via the app instantly freeze the use of the credit/debit card, just to name a few benefits.

No need to carry large amounts of cash around.

Just because some people are stupid and don't know how to use the technology and get ripped off it does not mean we all are.

Due to the fact most people have bank accounts these days compared to the few in the good old days, banks would not physically be able to operate with out such new technology. 

We can use free apps like LINE to call anywhere in the world for free instead of paying £1 a minute for international calls. 

I do not miss having to find a smelly phone box in the street which actually worked and queue up to use it in the rain.

I could go on about the benefits of automation, electronics and IT but it would take too long. 

• Like 1