Cashier's and receptionist's attitude to customers

Bluesofa

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

That is an interesting clause.
Now I'm assuming too much already. I would have thought the  'unless the Company or merchant specifically stipulates that a signature is not required for the Sales Slip'  would refer to the 'contactless' transactions up to quite small amount, where no verification of any sort is required?

I don't know how old these terms are. I wonder if they have since been updated to include reference to 'PIN number or signature' - or if indeed they do?

My apologies. Here is the link to those terms and conditions I quoted. Even if they are regularly updated, sent via email etc to alert customers of change, most I feel wouldn't read them anyway, unless an issue arose! 😁

https://www.krungsricard.com/en/Product/CreditCard/CreditCard/Krungsri-Visa-Master-Card.html

It is no wonder customers don't read the conditions of use. The ANZ Bank one from Australia goes for 100 pages!

https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/documents/pdf/anz-creditcards-conditions-of-use.pdf

Consent to buy from a particular store really comes down to need and what you individually are prepared to accept. As another poster mentioned, you can choose to buy elsewhere.

But having worked in retail and copped the unnecessary abuse, don't make the cashier the subject of any abuse. Yes, discuss your beliefs in your rights politely and seek to understand the store policy, politely, and then choose if you wish to continue your purchase!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smithydog said:

My apologies. Here is the link to those terms and conditions I quoted. Even if they are regularly updated, sent via email etc to alert customers of change, most I feel wouldn't read them anyway, unless an issue arose! 😁

https://www.krungsricard.com/en/Product/CreditCard/CreditCard/Krungsri-Visa-Master-Card.html

It is no wonder customers don't read the conditions of use. The ANZ Bank one from Australia goes for 100 pages!

https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/documents/pdf/anz-creditcards-conditions-of-use.pdf

Consent to buy from a particular store really comes down to need and what you individually are prepared to accept. As another poster mentioned, you can choose to buy elsewhere.

But having worked in retail and copped the unnecessary abuse, don't make the cashier the subject of any abuse. Yes, discuss your beliefs in your rights politely and seek to understand the store policy, politely, and then choose if you wish to continue your purchase!

Thanks for the link.
So far, the closest I can see regarding paying for goods is this part:

[quote]
1.7        By using the Card for payments instead of cash, the Cardholder shall present the Card to salesperson of the merchant and sign in the document evidencing the purchase of goods or service (Sales Slip) or any other device for evidence of use of the Card unless the Company or merchant specifically stipulates that a signature is not required for the Sales Slip or other device (as the case may be). In any case, the Cardholder agrees that the use of the Card is completed. The Cardholder may request for a receipt, however, such receipt is not considered as evidence of payment to the Company and shall not relief the Cardholder’s obligation to make payment of the debt to the Company in full.
[unquote]

This appears to be the specific clause:
'unless the Company or merchant specifically stipulates that a signature is not required for the Sales Slip'
which is exactly what happened in my case.

OK you linked to Krungsri and I see from my receipt that Global House use Bangkok Bank, not that it will make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

1 hour ago, Smithydog said:

I understand what you're saying about unnecessary abuse as one who has suffered it.

It seems some people who have read my post have assumed that it must have almost been a slanging match because I said I refused to sign.
A refusal doesn't have to be confrontational, and I can assure you that mine wasn't.
The fact that someone is prepared to stand their ground and not do what is requested can be - and was - accomplished without any raised voices on either side.

When I said my wife wanted me to sign and I refused, doesn't mean there was arguing there either, there wasn't.

I suppose there are so many articles were a situation is reported to have got out of hand to almost violence, that it's easy to assume the worst.

Thanks for your ongoing discussion in this @Smithydog.

With Credit Cards there has always been a missing link. What did the merchant agree to when they signed up.

In the old days before electronic devices and when we used the good old (but sometimes evil) sliding manual imprinters, you did see far more training then. When electronics came about it became far more "here is the manual, now go and sell and give us our merchant fee"!

But in both cases, and still to my knowledge, sellers sign a merchant agreement which may stipulate some rules. Sadly, convergence of cardholder and merchant needs hasn't always been a consideration. The growth of online sales using the number on the back of the card has risen as has expecttions.

But wasn't hasn't changed is for businesses to display excellence in customer service. The biggest difference I have seen in Thailand is a reluctance to ask the customer, especially in places like Home Pro etc, "What are you lookin to do?".

Home Pro staff act like they are sometimes trying to be your personal shopper but don't know how to do it. Global House are looking more to build the value of the sale. We were in their one day buying roofing materials including tiles and after the 4th added charge, I said to my wife, one more and I am out of here! And yes, they tried to add another! Bought the stuff quicker and cheaper at Home Hub!

Different methods but both failing in my eyes some basic customer service understanding which is either policy or training.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

I'm guessing you think I'm confrontational?
It is possible to make your point without shouting at the person you're dealing with. Sometimes however, they just aren't interested in listening.

Thanks, I'm enjoying my twenty-three year stay in the LOS.
Sadly I do 'sweat about the small stuff', as attention to detail is important. Perhaps not to you though.

I guess you qualify as a grumpy old man.

18 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

The biggest difference I have seen in Thailand is a reluctance to ask the customer, especially in places like Home Pro etc, "What are you lookin to do?".

Home Pro staff act like they are sometimes trying to be your personal shopper but don't know how to do it. Global House are looking more to build the value of the sale. We were in their one day buying roofing materials including tiles and after the 4th added charge, I said to my wife, one more and I am out of here! And yes, they tried to add another! Bought the stuff quicker and cheaper at Home Hub!

Different methods but both failing in my eyes some basic customer service understanding which is either policy or training.

At a guess, I think it must be the same globally, with the number of 'sheds' selling everything in the home improvement market.
Like you say, they will try to sell you more all the time, as their salary is probably very basic and relies on sales commission.
Some of them will stick it, but I get the impression they drift into other jobs, so not that many will have an in depth knowledge of the products.

A couple of years ago I went into a small hardware shop in Udon, looking for a 38mm socket to fit a nut.
(the 'sheds' don't sell one that large)
While the assistant went to look for the socket, another customer said to me in Thai, "Ah, you must be repairing the drum motor on your washing machine."
Me, "Yes, how did you know that?"
Customer, "It's virtually the only the thing a 38mm socket is used for."
I was really impressed that another customer knew so much.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I guess you qualify as a grumpy old man.

Ha ha! Because I think attention to detail is important?

1 minute ago, Bluesofa said:

At a guess, I think it must be the same globally, with the number of 'sheds' selling everything in the home improvement market.
Like you say, they will try to sell you more all the time, as their salary is probably very basic and relies on sales commission.
Some of them will stick it, but I get the impression they drift into other jobs, so not that many will have an in depth knowledge of the products.

A couple of years ago I went into a small hardware shop in Udon, looking for a 38mm socket to fit a nut.
(the 'sheds' don't sell one that large)
While the assistant went to look for the socket, another customer said to me in Thai, "Ah, you must be repairing the drum motor on your washing machine."
Me, "Yes, how did you know that?"
Customer, "It's virtually the only the thing a 38mm socket is used for."
I was really impressed that another customer knew so much.

That's another reason I love this place, people fixing things themselves or getting them fixed by the guy round the corner and if you are patient enough to look you can buy almost everything to fix anything if it is "old Tech" here.

10 minutes ago, gummy said:

That's another reason I love this place, people fixing things themselves or getting them fixed by the guy round the corner and if you are patient enough to look you can buy almost everything to fix anything if it is "old Tech" here.

Yeah. The same hardware shop where I bought the 38mm socket:

I had a round-the-world cyclist staying with me for a few weeks. He needed to replace IIRC the crank bearings. We were in the shop having bought the bearings (an unusual size).

He couldn't access the ring that held the unit together. The shop lent him a (brand new) special tool to let him get at the ring, to remove it and replace the bearings. All this was done on the pavement outside the shop, taking about thirty minutes.

• Like 1

This is a true story, A farang went into Big-C in phuket some years ago now and wanted to buy a micro wave and was asked by the staff if he had a work permit to which he replied No, they wouldn't sell him the microwave,

The story was in the local news paper in the Q&A section asking why he was not able to buy 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

This is a true story, A farang went into Big-C in phuket some years ago now and wanted to buy a micro wave and was asked by the staff if he had a work permit to which he replied No, they wouldn't sell him the microwave,

The story was in the local news paper in the Q&A section asking why he was not able to buy 

Why didn't he have a work permit?

4 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

The link! We need the link!

So taking this at face value, he wasn't allowed to cook food without a work permit?
Did the same staff also refuse to sell him food, as you'd assume he'd he'd also need to work permit to eat it?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

The link! We need the link!

So taking this at face value, he wasn't allowed to cook food without a work permit?
Did the same staff also refuse to sell him food, as you'd assume he'd he'd also need to work permit to eat it?

Its gospel honest truth, it was about the same time as a guy who post in Items for sale, "Bar girl for sale no key money required"

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Its gospel honest truth, it was about the same time as a guy who post in Items for sale, "Bar girl for sale no key money required"

Is a test drive available?

22 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

, as Homepro and Global House are 500m apart on the ring road, and 4km from us.

what is their altitude?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I once went in a 7/11 and asked for 3 packets of cigarettes, she said no cannot I mean how stupid is that? 

Is there a limit as how many you can buy at one time?

Or couldn't the cashier count above two?

11 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Is there a limit as how many you can buy at one time?

Or couldn't the cashier count above two?

She let me buy 2 packets

On 10/9/2021 at 7:54 AM, Bluesofa said:

If no one mentions it, then they would carry on in their ignorance.
Surely better to bring up the subject so the manager will realise there's a mistake, or perhaps even that they are irritating customers with pointless requests.

Think it's just you they're irritating. No one else cares less about signing. 

Sounds like you stressed yourself out, had a stand off at the checkout, probably embarrassed your other half, but still managed to walk out of there tall. You sure told them!

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2021 at 7:13 PM, Bluesofa said:

Yesterday we went to Global House. My wife had to buy some tiles.

When we came to pay I used my debit card. I had to enter my pin number to verify the transaction.

They printed out the Mastercard confirmation – mine and theirs – and asked me to sign theirs. I said I didn’t need to, as I had used my pin number. The staff said  still needed to sign it. I said I wasn’t going to.

There was some discussion, my wife tried to get me to sign it ‘to keep them happy’, like Thais would do. I said no.
The staff tried to say I needed to sign it in case I had to return the goods, to prove I had paid. I said the shop’s receipt was for that, not a Mastercard bank transaction.

Eventually a supervisor arrived. I pointed out that printed at the bottom of the shop’s Mastercard receipt it stated in English: “Transaction verified by pin. Signature is not required”
The supervisor instantly said that was fine and we left.

The locals will so often kow-tow to anyone who has a little bit of authority, even a cashier.

Talking of which: I told my friend about what happened.

He said he once booked a guest house online near Chiang Mai for 350 Baht. Payment in advance wasn’t required.
When he arrived, he was told that price was not available and the price was 600 Baht.

He was p!ssed off, it was unfortunate the guest house not close to any others. The girl he took with him wanted him to just pay it and not complain.

After much arguing, including showing the the receptionist the booking on his phone, she phoned the owner, who reluctantly reduced the price to 450 Baht.

I said to him that if it had been me, I would have threatened to phone the tourist police. The guest house wouldn’t have wanted that I’m sure.

Perhaps I'm not really bloody-minded, but don't like being cheated, or pushed into doing something I know is incorrect.

Omg are you really that cheap? 

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2021 at 5:13 AM, Bluesofa said:

Yesterday we went to Global House. My wife had to buy some tiles.

When we came to pay I used my debit card. I had to enter my pin number to verify the transaction.

They printed out the Mastercard confirmation – mine and theirs – and asked me to sign theirs. I said I didn’t need to, as I had used my pin number. The staff said  still needed to sign it. I said I wasn’t going to.

There was some discussion, my wife tried to get me to sign it ‘to keep them happy’, like Thais would do. I said no.
The staff tried to say I needed to sign it in case I had to return the goods, to prove I had paid. I said the shop’s receipt was for that, not a Mastercard bank transaction.

Eventually a supervisor arrived. I pointed out that printed at the bottom of the shop’s Mastercard receipt it stated in English: “Transaction verified by pin. Signature is not required”
The supervisor instantly said that was fine and we left.

The locals will so often kow-tow to anyone who has a little bit of authority, even a cashier.

Talking of which: I told my friend about what happened.

He said he once booked a guest house online near Chiang Mai for 350 Baht. Payment in advance wasn’t required.
When he arrived, he was told that price was not available and the price was 600 Baht.

He was p!ssed off, it was unfortunate the guest house not close to any others. The girl he took with him wanted him to just pay it and not complain.

After much arguing, including showing the the receptionist the booking on his phone, she phoned the owner, who reluctantly reduced the price to 450 Baht.

I said to him that if it had been me, I would have threatened to phone the tourist police. The guest house wouldn’t have wanted that I’m sure.

Perhaps I'm not really bloody-minded, but don't like being cheated, or pushed into doing something I know is incorrect.

Great examples of making an effort! 

So many people just accept a price or sign something and then want to say the world is taking a piss at their expense and maybe because they're foreign. 

If you make an effort you might get the stink eye but you might also get a fair price. 

• Thanks 1