News Forum - School textbook calls democracy “corrupt”, supports dictatorship

Thaiger

A story that has gone viral in Thai social media over the last few days raised ire over a grammar textbook that called democracy corrupt and endorsed dictatorship. The textbook turned out to be published originally in 2008, was last published in 2012, and was removed from approval for use in classroom learning in 2016. The original post was shared tens of thousands of times and picked up by Thai news agencies before the impact of the outrageous text was lessened by the revelation that the book had been officially withdrawn from classroom use 5 years ago. The offending text […]

The post School textbook calls democracy “corrupt”, supports dictatorship appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

When I first arrived in Thailand I volunteered at the nearby elementary school to assist the English teacher. 
I was astonished at the volume of politically incorrect, inaccurate content and propaganda.

Edited by D2B2
  • Like 2

I wonder what age group this material was aimed at?? The day will come when those children who read this book, will have the breadth of experience to look critically and objectively at it. In the end...truth conquers...

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I wonder what age group this material was aimed at?? The day will come when those children who read this book, will have the breadth of experience to look critically and objectively at it. In the end...truth conquers...

Which truth?

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Remember you are inThailand where the Monarch still demands people to prostrate themselves at his feet. This was probably written from a Thai view of the world being careful not to offend the Monarchy.

History of the world has two sides to it, most countries only teach one side. e.g. English schools teach that the Spanish were terrible and Francis Drake a hero of Britain courtesy of defeating the Spanish Armada.  The Spanish believe Francis Drake to be nothing but a thieving pirate that killed hundreds looting Spanish trade ships, which he did.   Who's right?

Thailand, well maybe in a hundred years they'll have their form of "woke police" to correct history for them.

Not to forget that as the convoy processes down the street the RTP are there to make sure there is no one on the sidewalks and the roadways are clear of all obstructions.  Makes one feel that those in the vehicles believe they are like the Pharaohs of old, not to be looked upon but to be feared as well.

• Like 1