News Forum - TAT 80% revenue recovery plan: get travellers to spend double

Thaiger

While the Tourism Authority of Thailand admits the revenue figures for 2021 are grim and likely won’t improve monumentally in the final quarter, they still have a rosy outlook on the tourism market rebounding over the next few years. The TAT is estimating that by 2023 tourism revenue will have recovered to 80% of the huge numbers seen at its peak in 2019. They plan on making up revenue loss from fewer people coming by attracting wealthier travellers and getting tourists to spend more in Thailand. In 2020, before Covid-19 fully took hold, 6.7 million travellers journeyed to Thailand. This […]

The post TAT 80% revenue recovery plan: get travellers to spend double appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

🤣🤣🤣 TAT for comedic value, I've run out of tissues again 🤣🤣🤣

Why didn't they do this in 2019? Then they could have already doubled the income from tourism years ago!

Oh, wait. It's because it doesn't work like that anywhere, except for TAT.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Cool 1

The Governor of TAT is certainly more stupid than I had thought before.. maybe he has a money tree outside his window and as he wants he just takes the money off the tree.. he must think that people coming to Thailand and they have a bottomless pit where they had endless amount of money.. wake up u dingbat.  People have better things to spend their money on .  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

"and has taken a traditional Thai approach towards recovery: double the amount that each tourist pays." 

That is just a wind up by the writer. Racist also. They are planning on targeting higher spending tourists and giving them more eco friendly experiences etc. NOT just jacking up prices to double.

I thought it was going to be another Jack Arthur wind up piece but it looks like we have a new BSer.

I may as well go back to the other forum if this is what TT are going to serve up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

Hang on folks, let's think this through ... 

50% of all hotels, restaurants and tourist venues have gone broke so it stands to reason, Thai-logic anyway, that those who remain open should charge double, thus increasing the total spend, no? 🥴

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

"and has taken a traditional Thai approach towards recovery: double the amount that each tourist pays." 

By changing the last word from "spends" to "pays" it changes the whole meaning.

Clickbait garbage. Nothing else. So many fall for it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

15 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Hang on folks, let's think this through ... 

50% of all hotels, restaurants and tourist venues have gone broke so it stands to reason, Thai-logic anyway, that those who remain open should charge double, thus increasing the total spend, no? 🥴

Great plan, and after half of the remaining ones go bust, next year quadruple the price.

And when Covid is finally fully under control, we can welcome the last tourist that visits Thailand and close the door behind them...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can almost concur with @Soidogas I read through this article, about being lost for words. I did keep saying to myself, "How is it that TAT even exists when this is the intellect being displayed by it's leadership"?

I consider myself reasonably well heeled. I'm a four week millionaire with a 10k a day habit plus travel and accommodation. So to double my spend, I have to become an 8 week millionaire, or spend 20k a day for two weeks. Hmmm? I presume that most visitors to TH are "time poor" and can only manage two weeks a year. My knowledge of two week millionaires, is that most lead a frugal life, and spend 50 weeks a year, solidly saving for the next trip. How are you going to get that particular cohort to double their spend? I am not sure, but I would guess that they make up a significant number of visitors to TH. 

It is difficult not to conclude that there are those in TAT, who think that Farangs have money trees growing on every street.

But then of course, if the plan is to double prices for tourists (I would not rule out such stupidity), why would the "millionaires", not divert to Phils or Cam? 

Of course one certain way of getting tourists to spend double, is to devalue the THB by 50% and then double the price of everything within TH. With such an idea, I am half-expecting to get a job offer to take over the running of TAT.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Did TAT talk to the Governor of Chanthaburi who has just banned the sales of all alcohol to stop Covid spreading.  Will other Governors follow suit and also ban all alcohol sales to stop Covid?  Who is running this circus?? 🤣

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/10/07/chanthaburi-releases-order-for-no-alcohol-sales-anywhere/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

That is just a wind up by the writer. Racist also. They are planning on targeting higher spending tourists and giving them more eco friendly experiences etc. NOT just jacking up prices to double.

I thought it was going to be another Jack Arthur wind up piece but it looks like we have a new BSer.

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

By changing the last word from "spends" to "pays" it changes the whole meaning.

Clickbait garbage. Nothing else. So many fall for it.

I never thought I'd say it, but @RobMuir is right - an appalling, deliberately racist article designed only as clickbait and to deliberately stir up ill feeling.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Another day, another TAT meeting where they all point and laugh at all the reactionary foreigners frothing at the mouth at their latest announcement.......

Interesting scenario hey?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

While the Tourism Authority of Thailand admits the revenue figures for 2021 are grim and likely won’t improve monumentally in the final quarter, they still have a rosy outlook on the tourism market rebounding over the next few years. The TAT is estimating that by 2023 tourism revenue will have recovered to 80% of the huge numbers seen at its peak in 2019. They plan on making up revenue loss from fewer people coming by attracting wealthier travellers and getting tourists to spend more in Thailand. In 2020, before Covid-19 fully took hold, 6.7 million travellers journeyed to Thailand. This […]

The post TAT 80% revenue recovery plan: get travellers to spend double appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Although I am living and working in Thailand, my reaction would me once travelling is open I would head to Phil or Bali or vietnam if i was still back in Oz.  What are these guys smoking?

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Paco said:

No worry at the airport you can ask the tax back

You can ask, maybe. Whether you'll get is another matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2