News Forum - Burmese UN envoy calls for international support for democracy in Myanmar

Thaiger

The Burmese UN envoy says he’s intent on seeking international support for democracy in his country. Kyaw Moe Tun was speaking to Japanese news agency NHK at the UN offices in New York. He was made UN envoy by the former Burmese government, which was ousted in a military coup in February, despite having been democratically elected. According to a Thai PBS World report, he continues to be seen as representing Myanmar as the UN Credentials Committee has not made a decision on future representation. The UN envoy has declared that if he remains in the position, he wants to focus […]

The post Burmese UN envoy calls for international support for democracy in Myanmar appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

We would like to be our own defence, people’s defence revolution against the military.”

He says over 1,100 civilians have been killed by the Burmese military regime and has urged the international community to understand calls from pro-democracy forces in Myanmar encouraging an uprising against military rule.

Smart man knows a UN force would not protect the people. Now needs a go fund me page to buy the arms -- doesn't need submarines so not too expensive.   

Thailand would probably sell to them, oh forgot, someone already sold them.

The situation in Burma has been on a knife edge for some time now. I wonder when this turbulent part of the world will come to peace with itself. During the Second World War, prisoners of war from my country (and others), captured by the Japanese, were literally worked to death to build the Thai-Burma railway from Bangkok to Rangoon. 

The Burmese I have met in my life are such a beautiful people. What the solution is...I don't know. But there has been enough suffering in Burma. UN peacekeeping forces do not have the effect they had in the past. But there needs to be some kind of neutral force in Burma to re-establish peace. That used to be colonial Britain (it's not that kind of power that's needed now), but maybe a coalition of democratic countries??

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

The situation in Burma has been on a knife edge for some time now. I wonder when this turbulent part of the world will come to peace with itself. During the Second World War, prisoners of war from my country (and others), captured by the Japanese, were literally worked to death to build the Thai-Burma railway from Bangkok to Rangoon. 

The Burmese I have met in my life are such a beautiful people. What the solution is...I don't know. But there has been enough suffering in Burma. UN peacekeeping forces do not have the effect they had in the past. But there needs to be some kind of neutral force in Burma to re-establish peace. That used to be colonial Britain (it's not that kind of power that's needed now), but maybe a coalition of democratic countries??

So long as any coalition does not have the US involved then there is an outside chance that a peaceful solution may be achieved. The reason I say that is given the recent US involvements have produced anything but  peaceful solutions which may be detrimental to any future peaceful outcomes in Myanmar

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

So long as any coalition does not have the US involved then there is an outside chance that a peaceful solution may be achieved. The reason I say that is given the recent US involvements have produced anything but  peaceful solutions which may be detrimental to any future peaceful outcomes in Myanmar

The US already involved themselves far too much.

• Thanks 1

Where was everyone's religion throughout the 1960s up to present day in regards to Burma/Myanmar? 

I find this historic disingenuous manner by the "international community" to be of the usual and fashionable selective Save The World club. These ideals have been phony from the start......as they continue to be.

Installing any type of dominating/neutral armed forces and diplomacy [U.N.??] into the region won't change a thing - has it ever...anywhere? 

Sure, it's a tragedy - but been of this nature for a while. Most forget that this region has been engaged with several faction civil wars for decades. 

Harsh, even aloof, to suggest that Myanmar solve it's own problems internally. 

I don't think the solution is to sit back and do nothing. I also agree that US involvement is the last thing that's needed. UN peacekeepers, if made up of a cross section of democratic countries (with none dominating), could bring a cessation of hostility at least. 

Just now, Jason said:

I don't think the solution is to sit back and do nothing. I also agree that US involvement is the last thing that's needed. UN peacekeepers, if made up of a cross section of democratic countries (with none dominating), could bring a cessation of hostility at least. 

That would need to include the Chinese too

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Will it? Really? 

Historically, U.N. Peacekeeping has never had an impact anywhere. 

Also, kinda convenient how the Anglo-American dominated U.N. "Peacekeeping" missions are extremely selective......most of the troubles that plague the world have been instigated by this faction of the English-speaking world.

16 minutes ago, Rain said:

Will it? Really? 

Historically, U.N. Peacekeeping has never had an impact anywhere. 

Also, kinda convenient how the Anglo-American dominated U.N. "Peacekeeping" missions are extremely selective......most of the troubles that plague the world have been instigated by this faction of the English-speaking world.

Only because perhaps many people from the  nations of the English speaking world  consider themselves superior in some way perhaps or just assume that being militarily or financially dominant it gives them the right to act in a superior manner.

I think the message is they are going to start a military revolt against the junta and are asking the world to be understanding of their actions.

They don't want UN, USA or CHINA to be part of it.

The first two are useless and I don't think China would be a good fit as they are a bit cosy with the Junta.

15 minutes ago, palooka said:

I think the message is they are going to start a military revolt against the junta and are asking the world to be understanding of their actions.

They don't want UN, USA or CHINA to be part of it.

The first two are useless and I don't think China would be a good fit as they are a bit cosy with the Junta.

There must be at least 4 separatists/rebellion factions that have been engaged against the successive Burman Juntas forever. The underlying question might be: who's supplying them with weaponry and sundries as such? Hmmmm........wonder who? 🤨

1 minute ago, Rain said:

There must be at least 4 separatists/rebellion factions that have been engaged against the successive Burman Juntas forever. The underlying question might be: who's supplying them with weaponry and sundries as such? Hmmmm........wonder who? 🤨

Quite. And through who?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rain said:

I would expect that all the big arms dealers have a finger in the pie, and it is generally financed through the drug trade, and a lot of neighbouring countries, as will the arms dealing countries will make millions, and a lot of Myanmar will die.