News Forum - Phuket sandbox has welcomed 42,000 international arrivals since July 1

Thaiger

Since the launch of the Phuket sandbox scheme on July 1, the southern island has welcomed over 42,000 foreign visitors to its shores. The Tourism Authority of Thailand has got the calculator out again and according to TAT Phuket director, Nanthasiri Ronnasiri, over 2 billion baht has been generated for the economy. “We set the target at 100,000 visitors because we thought we would have both short-and long-haul visitors. But so far, most of our visitors are from the United States and Europe.” The Bangkok Post reports that most foreign travellers came from the US, the UK, Israel, France, and […]

The post Phuket sandbox has welcomed 42,000 international arrivals since July 1 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

17 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

They have revised the population of phuket only a couple of days ago ..the fully vaccinated has just reached 74% due to this month 66000 have had their second AstraZeneca.. this has a 12 week interval between jabs ..so they never reached the full 70% stated to open phuket until 3 months after they opened the sand box

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-finally-recognise-island-population-in-mass-vaccination-campaign-81614.php

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:
24 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

They have revised the population of phuket only a couple of days ago ..the fully vaccinated has just reached 74% due to this month 66000 have had their second AstraZeneca.. this has a 12 week interval between jabs ..so they never reached the full 70% stated to open phuket until 3 months after they opened the sand box

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-finally-recognise-island-population-in-mass-vaccination-campaign-81614.php

Big surprise 🤔

• Like 2

Also this part

"During the past week, the daily infection rate has been 170 -180 people."

They forgot to add that there is now over 2300 in 'hide'm away hotels' that have had antigen tests. These don't get recorded on the official figures. 

this is around 160 a day that are not being recorded 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:
43 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

great idea, let's revise population to be equal numbers of shots administered

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malc-Thai said:

Also this part

They forgot to add that there is now over 2300 in 'hide'm away hotels' that have had antigen tests. These don't get recorded on the official figures. 

Phuket marks 175 new COVID cases, no new deaths

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 175 new local infections confirmed across the island yesterday (Oct 5) bringing the total number of people recognised as infected with COVID-19 in Phuket since Apr 3 to 12,009.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-175-new-covid-cases-no-new-deaths-81616.php

2 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Also this part

Have you been telling Boris about these hideouts full of covid cases?

No wonder I can't get home for Christmas....😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

What you have got is a lot of people moved out of BKK down to Phuket

That maybe the case as you can see from the many Bangkok number plates on the cars.  But think this is more the reason

"with a new population figure of 547,584 given ‒ bringing it into line with the population figure consistently used by the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) throughout the campaign."

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

That maybe the case as you can see from the many Bangkok number plates on the cars.  But think this is more the reason

"with a new population figure of 547,584 given ‒ bringing it into line with the population figure consistently used by the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) throughout the campaign."

We have a guest at the moment he has said it's far more relaxing down here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

The PPHO no longer issues an updated map showing the locations of COVID infections across the island.

Have a ring-round and ask where they all are.

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

What you have got is a lot of people moved out of BKK down to Phuket

Agreed  I was planning to do the sandbox  rather then ASQ in BKK on my return but since the situation in Melbourne went and is still ordinary I didnt fly home.

My feeling is the overall benefit to Thailand has been minimal, just moving a lot of the revenue from BKK to Phuket

• Like 1

I believe the TAT prior to July 1, projected 150,000 tourists. Now according to the article, they say that they projected 100,000 tourists. 

They also state the majority came from the US, UK, Israel etc.

Well, unless I've missed something,  the UK still has Thailand on a red list, and I believe the US still advises against travel to Thailand. As for the others, I'm not sure.

The published number of arrivals today, is 42,000 Sandbox visitors. 

Strong smell of Bovine Excrement!

• Like 3

Tourists per month before covid....3,000,000 per month

Tourists now.............................................15,000 per month

45,000 tourists in three months!  Amazing!

originally they expected up to 600,000,l see now it come down to 100,000 expectancy,42,000 tourist in 110 days is 1 full jumbo a day,yet a dozen planes arrive daily on average 40 passenger per plane,l expect cut backs in plane arrival same with local hotels who have been mislead and not viable 

1 hour ago, BIGGLES said:

I believe the TAT prior to July 1, projected 150,000 tourists. Now according to the article, they say that they projected 100,000 tourists. 

They also state the majority came from the US, UK, Israel etc.

Well, unless I've missed something,  the UK still has Thailand on a red list, and I believe the US still advises against travel to Thailand. As for the others, I'm not sure.

The published number of arrivals today, is 42,000 Sandbox visitors. 

Strong smell of Bovine Excrement!

I wonder if this claimed 42,000 visitors feel like they have been welcomed ?

6 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Since the launch of the Phuket sandbox scheme on July 1, the southern island has welcomed over 42,000 foreign visitors to its shores

The 42,000 number is meaningless unless you know the average number of pre-Covid visitors per month. But my gut tells me that 42,000 is only a small fraction compared to what is needed. 
Furthermore, many “visitors” are actually long term folks using the sand box to get back into the country. So some of the 2B baht is funding that normally would be here anyway.

16 hours ago, gummy said:

2 couples I met were not happy they were bored and booked extra flights to get back home, 

Right now the weather is garbage for a few days it's not stopped raining

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

2 couples I met were not happy they were bored and booked extra flights to get back home, 

Right now the weather is garbage for a few days it's not stopped raining

I wonder what they expected?

It has seemed pretty evident that most things would be closed 

I have a lot of friends that live in Phuket 

Maybe as tourists it's harder to suss where to go.

But the expats seem to be finding enough things open 

I'd honestly jump at the chance to go to Phuket right now because of how shut down it is

Very appealing to me.....

Edited by Marc26
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, gummy said:

After the first 2 months 28k came, 13k travelled on in Thailand. maybe to their homes, 5k stayed or still in phuket and 10k (1250 real tourists a week) had left.

On the leaving survey they said 80% people enjoyed the hospitality!   which looks good. but read it the other way, 20% were not happy with the hospitality in phuket! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

After the first 2 months 28k came, 13k travelled on in Thailand. maybe to their homes, 5k stayed or still in phuket and 10k (1250 real tourists a week) had left.

On the leaving survey they said 80% people enjoyed the hospitality!   which looks good. but read it the other way, 20% were not happy with the hospitality in phuket! 

With the statistics as they are here, maybe they asked 10 people who looked happy and 2 still weren't? 🤔

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bob20 said:

With the statistics as they are here, maybe they asked 10 people who looked happy and 2 still weren't? 🤔

Or just gave them a 1000 baht each for the right answer 😂