News Forum - Thailand to finalise procurement contract for new Covid-19 drug within 2 weeks

Thaiger

The Health Ministry says a contract to purchase supplies of the first oral Covid-19 treatment will be completed in the next 2 weeks. According to a Bangkok Post report, the first batch of pills could arrive as soon as November. Somsak Akkasilp from the Department of Medical Services says the government has ordered enough to treat 200,000 people, adding that patients with mild symptoms will be given 40 pills over the course of 5 days. The Bangkok Post adds that he would not be drawn on the value of the contract, declaring it confidential. Somsak says the timing of the […]

The post Thailand to finalise procurement contract for new Covid-19 drug within 2 weeks appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well let's hope that there are no unacceptable delays  that as has been the case with all of the other vaccines eventually ordered by this government.

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well let's hope that there are no unacceptable delays  that as has been the case with all of the other vaccines eventually ordered by this government.

So it's going to be given to people with mild cases..  pcr confirmed covid cases are at around 10k a day, the 200k doses will last 20 days..

Edited by Malc-Thai
  • Like 2
  • Cool 1

1 minute ago, Malc-Thai said:

So it's going to be given to people with mild cases..  pcr confirmed covid cases are at around 10k a day, the 200k doses will last 20 days..

I was actually referring to the delays in ordering the product. Now you are bringing in two  other unknown factors; 1)  Once  it is received will it be dispensed promptly ? and 2)  length of time to use all stocks.   Those 2 factors I suspect will be hotly debated once it is confirmed that the government has finally placed the order. 

4 minutes ago, gummy said:

I was actually referring to the delays in ordering the product. Now you are bringing in two  other unknown factors; 1)  Once  it is received will it be dispensed promptly ? and 2)  length of time to use all stocks.   Those 2 factors I suspect will be hotly debated once it is confirmed that the government has finally placed the order. 

Respectfully, Mr G, there is a third factor.

Who precisely will have access to it and how will that be determined?

I think we all can guess the answer(s)...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Respectfully, Mr G, there is a third factor.

Who precisely will have access to it and how will that be determined?

I think we all can guess the answer(s)...

A very good point indeed, and I guess pills are even easier to slip into the pocket then rolls of 1000 baht bills 😉

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

I think by the reports they are standing first in line like a phuket free food queue!.. and I wonder who will get the doses..at least if its 50% effective of stopping hospitalizations then that's 100k that hopefully will not need to add to the hospital numbers.. problem its a new released drug and same as vaccines there will be high demand for limited supply.. if the company is only going to produce 10 million  by the end of this  year (3 months) then at least that's 50% not going to go on the hospital lists

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

I think by the reports they are standing first in line like a phuket free food queue!.. and I wonder who will get the doses..at least if its 50% effective of stopping hospitalizations then that's 100k that hopefully will not need to add to the hospital numbers.. problem its a new released drug and same as vaccines there will be high demand for limited supply.. if the company is only going to produce 10 million  by the end of this  year (3 months) then at least that's 50% not going to go on the hospital lists

Well let's hope that this time next year we can be having a different conversation and that the trials for oral vaccines/medication currently being undertaken by numerous companies discover a preventative oral medication rather than a symptom easing medication, or if the latter a patent free one for all countries who wish to can manufacture cheaply. Fingers crossed anyway.

There are many medications around the world that are being worked on to stop the worst effects of Covid. Thi is just one of a number. At this point, anything that will prevent death or serious illness is worthy of consideration. In my own country a research institute in my home state is working on a peptide medication. It kills coronavirus (no matter how it morphs) and prevents transmission. A way forward will be found! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

At around $700 a course it's not going to be given to anyone. This is going to be a drug sold to the better offs, cannot see many street food vendors or construction workers getting it can you?..

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Griff1315 said:

At around $700 a course it's not going to be given to anyone. This is going to be a drug sold to the better offs, cannot see many street food vendors or construction workers getting it can you?..

Yes sadly it does look like only a selective few may be the ones who gets this at this price..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gummy said:

Well let's hope that this time next year we can be having a different conversation and that the trials for oral vaccines/medication currently being undertaken by numerous companies discover a preventative oral medication rather than a symptom easing medication, or if the latter a patent free one for all countries who wish to can manufacture cheaply. Fingers crossed anyway.

Yet, all continues to be heavily controlled and repressed by the usual everything COVID overlords. 

Well known that numerous, and scientifically studied, therapeutic/prophylactic or alternative supplement treatment types that are quite ready........but, as the usual story goes.