News Forum - Flood warning issued for Bangkok

Thaiger

Despite officials hoping for a reduction in the heavy rainfall and flooding affecting many parts of Thailand, it seems the situation is not easing yet. Residents in Bangkok, along the capital’s Chao Phraya River, have been put on high alert over potential flooding. The Bangkok Post reports that the warning comes as 3,000 cubic metres of water per second flows through parts of Ayutthaya, heading for the capital. Bangkok governor, Aswin Kwanmuang has expressed concern that water levels in the Chao Phraya River could rise by between 30cm and half a metre. Residential riverfront communities, housing 239 families in 7 […]

The post Flood warning issued for Bangkok appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

According to the Bangkok Post report, an overflow of water is being discharged by a number of reservoirs, putting downstream areas at risk of further flooding.

Instead of releasing water slowly over the past week lowering the resevoir levels they wait till  they are full and let it go at the worst possible time.  

Been suggested that the people in charge are too scared to let the water go in case it doesn't fill up again.

Sounds like Thailand, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

As the PM on 16th September said that Bangkok will not flood this year then either it is fake news or else the PM's adviser Kh Canute will be getting the sack.

Imagine that. 

Flooding from continuous heavy rains in the north.

Flows south causing heavier flooding throughout the great basin. 

Continues southward eventually flooding the largely below sea level BKK Metro. 

That never happens.

3 minutes ago, Rain said:

Imagine that. 

That never happens.

Yes that is pretty surprising that those so well highly educated members of the administration have just realised that. But there again it is a recent occurrence, well perhaps only the last 300,000 years, which may explain the thinking  of those that appear to be the reincarnation of the Jurassic period dinosaurs which are now in government.

A flood in Bangkok?? Really?? But that never happens!! Oh....that's right! It's built on a flood plain..... So is my city...that's why I bought on a hill :) 

58 minutes ago, Rain said:

Imagine that. 

That never happens.

Yes, I think it’s a first so understandable why the authorities have been caught out unaware 😉 

It’s why the Dutch are such a tall race of people. Thousands of years of flooding means evolution has made them taller. Most of the ladyboys in Thailand will be fine 😉

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Yes, I think it’s a first so understandable why the authorities have been caught out unaware 😉 

Maybe here water runs uphill 🤔

Just now, Bob20 said:

Maybe here water runs uphill 🤔

I never thought of that @Bob20. I wouldn’t be at all surprised. What I don’t understand is why our supreme leader doesn’t just “instruct” the water to stop. Each Songkran he “Instructs” his Minister to protect people and cut road deaths. 

6EF7D81A-154D-4FAB-A416-E0180BD6CFAF.gif

32 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I never thought of that @Bob20. I wouldn’t be at all surprised. What I don’t understand is why our supreme leader doesn’t just “instruct” the water to stop. Each Songkran he “Instructs” his Minister to protect people and cut road deaths. 

6EF7D81A-154D-4FAB-A416-E0180BD6CFAF.gif

Well even Canute is getting his feet wet. The Thai PM considers he is above anyone else and never does when he visits flooded areas for photo opportunities. Now if he wanted to make the nation rejoice he would go to a flooded area and prove to the nation he really is an all seeing all doing leader by having his head held underwater for 30 minutes.😂