Windows 11 review: Update or wait?

NCC1701A

"You'll be able to find out starting on October 5, which is when Microsoft is making Windows 11 available on a rolling basis as a free upgrade to most Windows 10 users. If you have Windows 8, you'll have tp get the free upgrade to Windows 10 first, then upgrade to Windows 11."

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/microsoft-windows-11-review/

I think you will find for the vast majority of laptops /pc windows 11 is not an option as they dont meet the strict updates criteria 

This one  isn't like the windows 10 update

Anyway windows 10 will last in service  for another 3/4 years so no real urgency

• Like 1

i never update at first when they release an update like this for Windows , normally i waiting about a couple of months so they can fix all the bugs people reports to them :)

• Like 4

I think I will wait as well. Pretty used to Windows 10 now and fear what will happen with compatibility with other devices if I move to Windows 11. Had some nasty experiences of that in the past and just not worth the added hassle. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Updated before the official release and pleasantly surprised by the new design, everything that i use works fine and really zero problems. Only thing for me that's missing is the task bar, i have a ultra wide monitor and i like the taskbar vertical on the left side like it was possible in windows 10.

5 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

Updated before the official release and pleasantly surprised by the new design, everything that i use works fine and really zero problems. Only thing for me that's missing is the task bar, i have a ultra wide monitor and i like the taskbar vertical on the left side like it was possible in windows 10.

No taskbar or on bottom only?

I've read a few rave reviews for Win11.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

No taskbar or on bottom only?

I've read a few rave reviews for Win11.

The task bar is there just like in windows 10 but you can't move it around. I do hope they bring that back as i miss it dearly on the left (vertical)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThatGuy said:

You can put the taskbar wherever you want it to be. Right click and 'align to the left'. Done.

You cannot have it vertically, but who wants that?

Edited by WilliamG

1 hour ago, ThatGuy said:

The task bar is there just like in windows 10 but you can't move it around. I do hope they bring that back as i miss it dearly on the left (vertical)

Was the wiper & lights stick on the same side on your last car? Learn to live with this minor change.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:07 PM, poohy said:

think you will find for the vast majority of laptops /pc windows 11 is not an option as they dont meet the strict updates criteria 

HKEY LOCAL/SYSTEM/SETUP/MoSETUP/AllowUpgradesWith UnsupportedTPMor CPU = 1 (not 0).

Done it on two older PCs today. Running perfectly.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:09 PM, Slacker77 said:

i never update at first when they release an update like this for Windows , normally i waiting about a couple of months so they can fix all the bugs people reports to them :)

That is why they have the Insiders option, so they can report any bugs before release.

On 10/6/2021 at 7:41 AM, Smithydog said:

I think I will wait as well. Pretty used to Windows 10 now and fear what will happen with compatibility with other devices if I move to Windows 11. Had some nasty experiences of that in the past and just not worth the added hassle. 

Upgraded two of my PCs today, no problems whatsoever. Only problem was my ZXR soundcard defaulted to 5.1 instead of stereo, and System Restore turned itself OFF. Turned back on, made a new Acronis back-up.

Edited by WilliamG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/5/2021 at 8:09 AM, Slacker77 said:

Yes they make the early adopters do their quality control. Smart approach :-)

On 10/22/2021 at 7:04 PM, WilliamG said:

Only problem was my ZXR soundcard defaulted to 5.1 instead of stereo, and System Restore turned itself OFF. Turned back on, made a new Acronis back-up.

Could you say that again in English?

On 10/22/2021 at 7:00 PM, WilliamG said:

HKEY LOCAL/SYSTEM/SETUP/MoSETUP/AllowUpgradesWith UnsupportedTPMor CPU = 1 (not 0).

Done it on two older PCs today. Running perfectly.

How old are the pcs?  have 2 x i5  1 x i3 and a pentium all running win10, all have ssd and min 8gb ram, considering the win 11 upgrade.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:12 AM, palooka said:

How old are the pcs?  have 2 x i5  1 x i3 and a pentium all running win10, all have ssd and min 8gb ram, considering the win 11 upgrade.

Home built is 10 years old, NUC is 5.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 7:07 AM, poohy said:

I think you will find for the vast majority of laptops /pc windows 11 is not an option as they dont meet the strict updates criteria 

This one  isn't like the windows 10 update

Anyway windows 10 will last in service  for another 3/4 years so no real urgency

I've heard there is some TPM dependency or something? 

My laptop was 11 years old and was due for replacement. I opted for an Acer 17 inch chromebook for the quarter the price of what a Windows laptop would have cost (with a smaller screen). For what I use it for, it is perfect. 

• Like 1

I think that even Gates understood, after a while, that never bringing a win11, but just upgrading win 10, which they annonced at the time, win 10 came out, that this way they would have to support ALL WIN10 versions for all the time.

Now they can stop supporting em in 2025, easily.

Which will make pc manufacturers more happy, people need to buy new computers. Even in case the old onces are still running fine, for what the people wanna use it.

Money makes the world go around

3 hours ago, Vince said:

I've heard there is some TPM dependency or something? 

Can easily be overruled with some simple registry edits. Bingle it!

• Like 1