News Forum - Phuket “Sandbox” to allow visitors from overseas to apply for “Visa on Arrival”

Thaiger

3 minutes ago, Faz said:

You can put a link to and quote the Bangkok Post - who said you couldn't.

Sigh....can't believe I need to explain this but here goes. I was referring to the common practice of the Thaiger simply reposting stories that have already been written by bkpost. And that their needing to write this story on their own, because bkpost did not do the work for them, has resulted in an article that is based on conjecture. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, satpete said:

there is no visa excemption anymore,

visa on arrival may be ok for Indian foreigners,

but Europeans will not travel 13 to 20 hours by flights

to have 15 days holidays in Thailand,

3 weeks may ordinary besides of longer stays,

to get a visa about 60 or 90 days you have to wait about 4 to 6 weeks

to get the visa in Germany, then COE, so all about 2 months,

who will do this for a long holiday ?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

• Like 1

not valid anymore I believe

That is valid law. It doesn’t matter if you are believing in it or not. It’s valid anyway.

Edited by Michael0510

4 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

And that their needing to write this story on their own, because bkpost did not do the work for them, has resulted in an article that is based on conjecture. 

Where's the conjecture.

“Sandbox” might soon be able to apply for a “Visa on Arrival,” or VOA. A graphic was posted by Phuket officials on Facebook outlining the requirements for a “Visa on Arrival.”

Visas on arrival have been suspended for some time.
The new Infographic posted by Phuket strongly suggests they are soon to be resumed.
That's good reporting - if folk don't know the difference between entering Visa exempt, Visa on arrival or by Bilateral Agreement, how is that the Thaiger News teams fault?

Phuket Immigration Infographic;

Phuket "Sandbox" to allow visitors from overseas to apply for "Visa on Arrival" | News by Thaiger

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Faz said:

4 ways, you missed by bilateral agreements. 

Yeah, but in the context of the Phuket Sandbox not much used. (As I was writing my comment I could see the ASEAN sign at BKK and knew that somebody was going to call me on it...)

excemption is now valid in October, always corrected short time without notice,
and not find in Thai embassy in Germany at once.

But this will not help for holidays in November or later, waiting time for visa still 6 to 8 weeks in Berlin, who will do this for christmas holidays ?

http://thai.thaiembassy.de/

8 hours ago, Stonker said:

Actually it clearly says "show you are carrying 10,000 baht (20,000 baht for a family)".

Evidently they're expecting some big spenders ...

10K in Phuket will get you a taxi to the nearest ATM so you can stock up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Faz said:

The new Infographic posted by Phuket strongly suggests they are soon to be resumed.
That's good reporting - if folk don't know the difference between entering Visa exempt, Visa on arrival or by Bilateral Agreement, how is that the Thaiger News teams fault?

The Thaiger News team could help people to understand the difference - the posts on this thread seem to display a variety of levels of understanding!  The article would have made more sense if the reporter had clarified the context as applying to those visitors who need a visa, not those who don't.  There is enough uncertainty as it is, in the UK's travel rules and Thailand's proposed entry schemes being announced or changed every week!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alavan said:

I think the 45 days visa exemption has ended 30 september. I found no news that it was prolonged, so it must be 30 days again.
I sent a mail to the Thai Embassy and hope to receive news soon.

The US Thai Embassy is still showing both. Must be tough to get it updated...

7 hours ago, EdwardV said:

If you still need to get a COE from the local embassy, how does a visa upon arrival improve anything? Who is this program targeting?

Short-term tourists from VoA countries. It opens up some countries that are not on the VE list.

this is a problem with many Thai Embassies in different countries,

you will not get all news about visa online soon,
websites are often not up to date

1 hour ago, satpete said:

there is no visa excemption anymore,

visa on arrival may be ok for Indian foreigners,

but Europeans will not travel 13 to 20 hours by flights

to have 15 days holidays in Thailand,

So at least for Americans there is still the visa exemption for a short stay (30 days).  No fee, no application just VOA.  I would assume it is the same for any other country that had an exemption. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeTexas said:

So at least for Americans there is still the visa exemption for a short stay (30 days).  No fee, no application just VOA.  I would assume it is the same for any other country that had an exemption. 

Yes, but it's called Visa Exemption and that's where some are getting confused.

The typical thirty day stamps us lucky people get easily are Visa Exemptions

The VOA (Visa On Arrival) is an actual visa that is purchased on arrival for citizens of countries who aren't on the exempt list but on a list of countries who can get the VOA.

I believe you got the gist of it correct but saying VOA is not correct as it's technically not a visa.

Edited by MikeV
  • Like 2

Translation-We are gonna grasp at straws and try to throw any and every thing at the wall to see it we can make one last money grab before we run the well dry....bone dry...desiccated,  mummified dry......gone

How far can Thailand go before the whole house implodes, how many more closed shops..how bad does it need to get before they finally admit defeat and useless "face"....

As they hoped and prayed for their beloved Chinese cash cows and maybe have finally admitted that aint happening anytime soon, so they will have swallow their pride and admit us "dirty diseased farangs" back in

But not before one last few attempts and taking any last ditch ideas to get that cash before they "break"

Perhaps just maybe they are realizing they are not the only gig in town and we are not that stupid, but of course they will never admit it....but as in life the truth always comes in, whether they like it or not....smh

A VISA on arrival is ludicrous. A tourist will already be providing most of the necessary details for the VISA with the COE prior to coming... why not simply grant the VISA with the COE? These two requirements have so much redundancy they simply need to be combined or at the very least granted simultaneously with the COE. 

Edited by Freeduhdumb
Grammar correction additional content.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Translation-We are gonna grasp at straws and try to throw any and every thing at the wall to see it we can make one last money grab before we run the well dry....bone dry...desiccated,  mummified dry......gone

How far can Thailand go before the whole house implodes, how many more closed shops..how bad does it need to get before they finally admit defeat and useless "face"....

As they hoped and prayed for their beloved Chinese cash cows and maybe have finally admitted that aint happening anytime soon, so they will have swallow their pride and admit us "dirty diseased farangs" back in

But not before one last few attempts and taking any last ditch ideas to get that cash before they "break"

Perhaps just maybe they are realizing they are not the only gig in town and we are not that stupid, but of course they will never admit it....but as in life the truth always comes in, whether they like it or not....smh

I guarantee you will go to Thailand as soon  as you can

Or if you live there, you won't move  5555

• Like 1

3 hours ago, satpete said:

excemption is now valid in October, always corrected short time without notice,
and not find in Thai embassy in Germany at once.

But this will not help for holidays in November or later, waiting time for visa still 6 to 8 weeks in Berlin, who will do this for christmas holidays ?

http://thai.thaiembassy.de/

Why is it taking so long to process visa applications in Berlin. Currently London is saying 3-5 working days. You also no longer need to send your passport or original supporting documents. It’s all done in line and they will email you Visa. Seems odd that at profess taking 3-5 days in the U.K. would take so long in Germany. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

A VISA on arrival is ludicrous. A tourist will already be providing most of the necessary details for the VISA with the COE prior to coming... why not simply grant the VISA with the COE? These two requirements have so much redundancy they simply need to be combined or at the very least granted simultaneously with the COE. 

Both has nothing to do with each other. There are many kind of visa, but only one kind of COE. And most people from Europe, the US and 50 other countries don’t need a visa for a stay of 30 days or less.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Michael0510 said:

Both has nothing to do with each other. There are many kind of visa, but only one kind of COE. And most people from Europe, the US and 50 other countries don’t need a visa for a stay of 30 days or less.

It’s the COE they need to remove. For many it’s just too much to navigate and can be too tight to get your a Covid result, upload it and get your COE back. 

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I guarantee you will go to Thailand as soon  as you can

Or if you live there, you won't move  5555

Never understood these people who spend extreme amounts of energy hating the place. If it's so bad leave and don't go back and stay away and avoid the places dedicated to discussing it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

I hope you are aware that the only reason tourism exists is to make money. They aren't letting you in for your wonderful attitude.

• Like 1