A guide to choosing the best international school for your kids

Thaiger

Moving to another country with your family is exciting, but can be stressful and full of worries. One of those worries could be the very real dilemma of trying to find an international school that fits your children’s needs. Such things as the quality and type of curriculum, classroom size, location, and cost can complicate your international school hunt. However, The Thaiger is here to help you organise your thoughts with our simple guide on how to choose an international school. Application This may seem a bit ‘off’ to recommend checking the application process of your potentially chosen school, however, […]

The post A guide to choosing the best international school for your kids appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Bob20 is calling it like it is!!! I do wish (and it's a wish that I can't fulfil) is to see Thai children being given an education from Year 1 to Year 12. Who knows...maybe a university education after that. I have seen too many people who work in dead end jobs, purely because they haven't had the benefit of a full education. It is the responsibility of government to provide education for the young of Thailand. The benefits are so enormous. It is a "long game", not a short one. If the governmentcan't see it, maybe King Rama Xcould do what his Father did when the government became an obstacle to the greater good of the Thai people. Make it a "Royal Project". That's how King Rama IX made things happen in His Kingdom....and there was nothing the politicians could do about it!!!!

Hmmm, suddenly my comment is surrounded by a purple circle. Has anyone else experienced this?? I don't think anyone would argue with an education for the children that will give them a better chance at life??

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hmmm, suddenly my comment is surrounded by a purple circle. Has anyone else experienced this?? I don't think anyone would argue with an education for the children that will give them a better chance at life??

That means you have moved up to a community regular by the number of posts you have made.

Thanks Gummy! I needed the reassurance :).  I just look at my experience of Thailand as an outsider. I see so many who are hamstrung by a junior education and think of the possibilities. I also remember the last King and what he achieved, despite the political situation. I know what it's like to live in the shadow of a great Father. I think there is a great opportunity for His successor to make real difference in the lives of the Thai People.

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Thanks Gummy! I needed the reassurance :).  I just look at my experience of Thailand as an outsider. I see so many who are hamstrung by a junior education and think of the possibilities. I also remember the last King and what he achieved, despite the political situation. I know what it's like to live in the shadow of a great Father. I think there is a great opportunity for His successor to make real difference in the lives of the Thai People.

Well as you know that subject is taboo to be discussed on this and any other forum in Thailand as I sure if it were allowed there would be many people of differing opinions perhaps.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Bob20 is calling it like it is!!! I do wish (and it's a wish that I can't fulfil) is to see Thai children being given an education from Year 1 to Year 12. Who knows...maybe a university education after that. I have seen too many people who work in dead end jobs, purely because they haven't had the benefit of a full education. It is the responsibility of government to provide education for the young of Thailand. The benefits are so enormous. It is a "long game", not a short one. If the governmentcan't see it, maybe King Rama Xcould do what his Father did when the government became an obstacle to the greater good of the Thai people. Make it a "Royal Project". That's how King Rama IX made things happen in His Kingdom....and there was nothing the politicians could do about it!!!!

I do think that ALL Children in Thailand are legally required to attend schooling up to the ages from 5- 15 years old

2 hours ago, Jason said:

You post something that may be against laws and so a Mod needs to check the content 

26 minutes ago, Fluke said:

You post something that may be against laws and so a Mod needs to check the content 

Certain topics are designated as posts requiring approval by a moderator before being viewed by all.
The reason should be obvious, but please PM a moderator if you need to question it.

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

I do think that ALL Children in Thailand are legally required to attend schooling up to the ages from 5- 15 years old

If the parents can't afford it, or no transport TIT.
My wife used to walk 16 Km to school and back a day from age 6 -12, then she got a bicycle.

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

Clearly you have no understanding of the real people here, their hardships and the difficulties children have not only to get to school in many cases but the pressures some extremely poor Thai parents are under, and there families, that sometimes it is either not possible for them to get to school always or that they  feel in someway responsible and hence leave school to help in the fields or what ever for that extra baht. Rightly or wrongly it is their way of giving something back and schooling takes a back seat. What is legal or not is immaterial and perhaps if you have had to endure the hardships of being abject poor, no money etc you may have a better understanding of the real world here.

2 hours ago, gummy said:

Clearly you have no understanding of the real people here, their hardships and the difficulties children have not only to get to school in many cases but the pressures some extremely poor Thai parents are under, and there families, that sometimes it is either not possible for them to get to school always or that they  feel in someway responsible and hence leave school to help in the fields or what ever for that extra baht. Rightly or wrongly it is their way of giving something back and schooling takes a back seat. What is legal or not is immaterial and perhaps if you have had to endure the hardships of being abject poor, no money etc you may have a better understanding of the real world here.

Why do you feel the need to attack with the same manner you always do, that "someone doesn't understand the real people here" as if you are the only one that does??

The subject was on schooling, someone replied that the govt should provide schooling and someone noted that schooling is mandatory. Then you go on the attack with your nonsense...........

You then state about "real people" when in reality, you are actually talking about a tiny minority of the abject poor

So I guess, by your logic, 95% of the kids  Thailand aren't " the real people"

1. Expanding basic education: Every child in Thailand has the right to receive three years of pre-primary schooling and 12 years of free basic education, regardless of their nationality or background. Approximately 95 percent of primary-school-age children attend school, but the number drops to 86 percent when it comes to the secondary school level. The majority of children who do not attend school are from disadvantaged communities, are migrants or have disabilities.

Edited by Marc26
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gummy said:

Schooling is free , the poorest do not have to pay .

There are many adults in the villages sitting around doing nothing all day , there is no excuse for sending kids out to work the fields ,  children are a hindrance in the working environment and they are legally required to attend school   rather then skipping school and being cheap labour .

Even the smallest villages have local schools and they now have buses to take the kids a few kilometers to the local schools .

Its a legal requirement to send Thai kids to school, it isn't optional 

5 hours ago, Faz said:

If the parents can't afford it, or no transport TIT.
My wife used to walk 16 Km to school and back a day from age 6 -12, then she got a bicycle.

Which sucks.....

But how would that be the Govt's fault? They can't build a school for every house in the village

Some will be at a disadvantage distance wise, for sure

Glad she got a bike   :)

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But how would that be the Govt's fault? They can't build a school for every house in the village

I never stated it was the Governments fault.
Just stating it's a fact of life and reality in Thailand.

8 hours ago, Fluke said:

These are very limited and the children tend to board there as well.

8 hours ago, Fluke said:

Even the smallest villages have local schools and they now have buses to take the kids a few kilometers to the local schools .

No they don't.
In the wife's old village transport now runs only from the main road, some 3Km from the village and it may take you nearer to the school (still 8Km away) but doesn't take you to it.

8 hours ago, Fluke said:

It's a legal requirement to be 16 years old and wear a helmet to ride a motorcycle.
Why do you think the Police never enforce this law, because if they did many children wouldn't be able to attend school - that's the reality of the situation in many rural areas of Thailand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Why do you feel the need to attack with the same manner you always do, that "someone doesn't understand the real people here" as if you are the only one that does??

The subject was on schooling, someone replied that the govt should provide schooling and someone noted that schooling is mandatory. Then you go on the attack with your nonsense...........

You then state about "real people" when in reality, you are actually talking about a tiny minority of the abject poor

So I guess, by your logic, 95% of the kids  Thailand aren't " the real people"

1. Expanding basic education: Every child in Thailand has the right to receive three years of pre-primary schooling and 12 years of free basic education, regardless of their nationality or background. Approximately 95 percent of primary-school-age children attend school, but the number drops to 86 percent when it comes to the secondary school level. The majority of children who do not attend school are from disadvantaged communities, are migrants or have disabilities.

Nonsense, ? its a plain fact but perhaps you too arein dreamland and have no grasp of the true reality here along a a few others.

9 hours ago, Fluke said:

There are many adults in the villages sitting around doing nothing all day , there is no excuse for sending kids out to work the fields ,  children are a hindrance in the working environment and they are legally required to attend school   rather then skipping school and being cheap labour .

It is unfortunate that your comprehension of my post is lacking.

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Nonsense, ? its a plain fact but perhaps you too arein dreamland and have no grasp of the true reality here along a a few others.

Again, it literally is not a fact.

I posted a fact, that you will obviously ignore

95% of children in Thailand attend school

Those are "real people"

It is unfortunate that your comprehension of my post is lacking.

He stated a fact and you attacked him for it

Accusing him of "not understanding real people "

As you seem to do whenever you disagree with someone

Unfortunately,  there will always be the abject poor, in most countries

That doesn't make them the norm

As you stayed incorrectly......

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Faz said:

No they don't.
In the wife's old village transport now runs only from the main road, some 3Km from the village and it may take you nearer to the school (still 8Km away) but doesn't take you to it.

It's a legal requirement to be 16 years old and wear a helmet to ride a motorcycle.
Why do you think the Police never enforce this law, because if they did many children wouldn't be able to attend school - that's the reality of the situation in many rural areas of Thailand.

@Faz I really think we are wasting our time explaining the "facts of life" regarding Thai schooling in the villages. Those of us who have lived here and have families of course understand but others who have never had that experience fail to comprehend that life here is very different from perhaps how they, you and me grew up in a Western society.  They either can not fully comprehend the difficulties faced by many  of the poorer  Thai folk  here or simply have no wish to accept it  it seems.

52 minutes ago, Faz said:

No they don't.

I don't understand what you mean, they are limited?

Aren't all public elementary schools free?

By the way, even free schools, I've seem come with costs of some, 4-5k, uniforms, etc....

And that could be hard for some families, for sure

Also, I don't mean to sound unsympathetic 

But a school 3km away is not far for a country setting

Are they supposed to put schools in every little inlet of a village?

@Faz I really think we are wasting our time explaining the "facts of life" regarding Thai schooling in the villages. Those of us who have lived here and have families of course understand but others who have never had that experience fail to comprehend that life here is very different from perhaps how they, you and me grew up in a Western society.  They either can not fully comprehend the difficulties faced by many  of the poorer  Thai folk  here or simply have no wish to accept it  it seems.

95% of children in Thailand go to school!

That's a fact!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

I don't understand what you mean, they are limited?

Aren't all public elementary schools free?

By the way, even free schools, I've seem come with costs of some, 4-5k, uniforms, etc....

And that could be hard for some families, for sure

Also, I don't mean to sound unsympathetic 

But a school 3km away is not far for a country setting

Are they supposed to put schools in every little inlet of a village?

All Children in Thailand are guaranteed a free basic education up to 15 years of age , guaranteed under the Thai constitution .

As I recall, the cost of school uniforms was 500 Baht per year and the Parents contributed to school dinners , which were about ten Baht per day and even then Parents who couldn't afford that could apply to get them for free