News Forum - Thailand to order new anti-viral “magic” pill for Covid-19 treatment

Thaiger

Thailand is joining the queue to get its hands on a new Covid-19 treatment from pharmaceutical giant, Merck. The new treatment, in pill form, has not yet been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration or by Thailand’s equivalent. However, after falling behind other countries in vaccine procurement, officials now seem anxious to get in there quickly, with reports that Thailand plans to purchase 200,000 courses of the new treatment. Media reports say the US government plans to procure 1.7 million treatment courses, at a cost of US$700 each. Interim trials show that the new drug could reduce the […]

The post Thailand to order new anti-viral “magic” pill for Covid-19 treatment appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Factually wrong.

The US government isn't planning to procure, they already fully committed to purchasing 1.7m courses 4 months ago.

The $1.2b deal has already been signed.

More details in this link that I provided before.

https://www.merck.com/news/merck-announces-supply-agreement-with-u-s-government-for-molnupiravir-an-investigational-oral-antiviral-candidate-for-treatment-of-mild-to-moderate-covid-19/

9 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand is joining the queue to get its hands on a new Covid-19 treatment from pharmaceutical giant, Merck. The new treatment, in pill form, has not yet been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration or by Thailand’s equivalent. However, after falling behind other countries in vaccine procurement, officials now seem anxious to get in there quickly, with reports that Thailand plans to purchase 200,000 courses of the new treatment. Media reports say the US government plans to procure 1.7 million treatment courses, at a cost of US$700 each. Interim trials show that the new drug could reduce the […]

The post Thailand to order new anti-viral “magic” pill for Covid-19 treatment appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The pill may not be totally full proof yet but this is the way to go. What better way of getting rid of the pandemic than by killing it. Emergency vaccines are helpful but they are don't  stop the virus spreading and a few folk have died regardless of brand used. Even though lockdowns and quarantines work they also cripple economies. Eventually a new generation will kill this monster.

Then new normal will then finally return to the old normal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

with reports that Thailand plans to purchase 200,000 courses of the new treatment.

so .3% of the Thai population. 

5 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

The pill may not be totally full proof yet but this is the way to go. What better way of getting rid of the pandemic than by killing it. Emergency vaccines are helpful but they are don't  stop the virus spreading and a few folk have died regardless of brand used. Even though lockdowns and quarantines work they also cripple economies. Eventually a new generation will kill this monster.

It works by introducing errors in the RNA of the virus when it is copied and was originally developed against influenza.

There's no indication it will remove the total viral-load of a patient or that it will kill the virus and get us back to the "old normal".

For now it is only claimed that it gives patients a 50% better chance of recovery in only mild or moderate COVID cases.

No doubt more research results will become available with time.

• Like 3

This is becoming a total field day for raping the world and the reaping of the giant golden egg for Big Pharma. And then you can throw in the kickbacks to the people who are controlling the ordering.

Two comments;

"Following reports that drugs in the same class have been linked to birth defects in animals, the manufacturer says that similar studies of Molnupiravir, which was given in higher doses and for longer, show that it has no effect on mammalian DNA."

When a drug maker feels the need to use the phrase "...no effect on mammalian DNA.", I hear alarm bells ringing at a deafening tone. 'Thou dost protest too much...' and other phrases ricochet through my brain.

Secondly;

"Thailand to order new anti-viral “magic” pill for Covid-19 treatment"

Any headline in Thailand that is Covid -related and has the word "Magic" in it is a guaranteed success; where can I buy company stock?

Okay Pro- and Anti-vaxxers, is this good news or not?

11 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Two comments;

"Following reports that drugs in the same class have been linked to birth defects in animals, the manufacturer says that similar studies of Molnupiravir, which was given in higher doses and for longer, show that it has no effect on mammalian DNA."

When a drug maker feels the need to use the phrase "...no effect on mammalian DNA.", I hear alarm bells ringing at a deafening tone. 'Thou dost protest too much...' and other phrases ricochet through my brain.

Secondly;

"Thailand to order new anti-viral “magic” pill for Covid-19 treatment"

Any headline in Thailand that is Covid -related and has the word "Magic" in it is a guaranteed success; where can I buy company stock?

Okay Pro- and Anti-vaxxers, is this good news or not?

Well, it doesn't have its effect on DNA, it has effect on RNA.

And don't worry, the conspiracists will find fault with it, as Merck is a major pharma player. Although it may well appeal to them that they can choose to just use this pill if Covid strikes instead of taking a preventative jab. Not quite as effective though at 50%...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

And don't worry, the conspiracists will find fault with it, as Merck is a major pharma player. Although it may well appeal to them that they can choose to just use this pill if Covid strikes instead of taking a preventative jab. Not quite as effective though at 50%...

I think the only cosspiracy that exists is the one between your ears that seems to think everyone else is running a conspiracy lol

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

I think the only cosspiracy that exists is the one between your ears that seems to think everyone else is running a conspiracy lol

Funny. You always seem to feel addressed 🤔 🤣 

3 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Funny. You always seem to feel addressed 🤣 

Not at all in fact you always seem to feel you are adddressing some types of conspiratcy theorists as you call them.  Do you sleep at night with one eye open lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Not really. There's no suggestion, even by the most optimistic, that it will "kill" the virus or have any effect at all on transmission.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, palooka said:

Come on, 200,000 HISO and Govt only thank you, the others can wait.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

so .3% of the Thai population. 

If anyone's had an effective jab, the chances are that they won't need mulnupiravir.

47 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

Not at all in fact you always seem to feel you are adddressing some types of conspiratcy theorists as you call them.  Do you sleep at night with one eye open lol.

Why should I?

I'm not the one worrying about a new world order, big pharma or the vaccine killing maybe me in 10 years time.

What good are those 10 years to you, worrying about absolute nonsense, sitting in your darkened bedroom, throwing out already disproven conspiracies while being mostly banned to your little corner on the forum to discuss them with your mates?

That's rhetorical 😉

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Why should I?

I'm not the one worrying about a new world order, big pharma or the vaccine killing maybe me in 10 years time.

What good are those 10 years to you, worrying about absolute nonsense, sitting in your darkened bedroom, throwing out already disproven conspiracies while being mostly banned to your little corner on the forum to discuss them with your mates?

That's rhetorical 😉

Sounds like conspiracy theorists are living rent free between your ears lol. 

In the past it was the "n" word to try to bully people then it was the "f" word for gay people and now you bring the "conspiracy theory" label to try to demean and intimidate people.  It's all a form of prejudice of one kind or another.  Give it a a rest Bob.  Many are presenting valuable arguents and we can all agree to disagree.  No need to name call.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stonker said:

If anyone's had an effective jab, the chances are that they won't need mulnupiravir.

There is still the uncertainty of that jab, which plays on peoples minds, and some research indicates that the effectiveness of those jabs maybe time limited requiring that booster.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, palooka said:

Come on, 200,000 HISO and Govt only thank you, the others can wait.

This is not a vaccine in pill form.

This is a treatment, for if you have fallen ill with the virus and already have mild or moderate symptoms.

So it could benefit vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals, although over time, as we see in other countries, it's mostly unvaccinated individuals who fall ill.

And it's not a miracle cure, looking at approx. 50% success.

It's just another instrument in containing the problem.

• Like 3

it is a treatment for frail people, it is $700 for an efficiency that reduces mortality by 50% ...

The vaccine is $20 and it reduces mortality by 95% ...

Frail people must all be vaccinated, this treatment is a second chance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Not really. There's no suggestion, even by the most optimistic, that it will "kill" the virus or have any effect at all on transmission.

Maybe not Molnupiravir. After all the success rate is only 50% but as research progresses anti viral medications may very well be the answer if a true full proof vaccine for all strains cannot be discovered/medically engineered.

4 hours ago, Bob20 said:

It works by introducing errors in the RNA of the virus when it is copied and was originally developed against influenza.

There's no indication it will remove the total viral-load of a patient or that it will kill the virus and get us back to the "old normal".

For now it is only claimed that it gives patients a 50% better chance of recovery in only mild or moderate COVID cases.

No doubt more research results will become available with time.

Absolutely. But after hearing about numerous attempts at least there is some promise. Molnupiravir may just open the door for the next phase of research. Will be interesting to see how it developes from here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Exactly. And you have to have Covid bad enough to most likely be in hospital or in ICU to receive the drug. I’ll stick with vaccination, and if I’m one of the small percentage who still end up in hospital, I’ll see this a further option to help me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Exactly. And you have to have Covid bad enough to most likely be in hospital or in ICU to receive the drug. I’ll stick with vaccination, and if I’m one of the small percentage who still end up in hospital, I’ll see this a further option to help me. 

Don't hold your breath (certainly not in ICU 🤭), as with it having no registration yet even in the US, and only the intention of the government here to buy it, followed by a ceremony and an initial order, which will be cancelled and renegotiated, delayed delivery, GPO trials for registration in Thailand and then some doses being "reserved", you may get your hands on it in 2023. Just stay safe until then 😂

Let's just hope it doesn't get donated, as then it might be 2024!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, billywillyjones said:

cosspiracy & conspiratcy. Come on, get it right!   LOL