STV (Special Tourist Visa)

Bangkok, 29 September, 2021 – The Thai Cabinet has approved a one-year extension of the 'special tourist visa' (STV) scheme for long-staying visitors until 30 September, 2022. The programme has been in effect from 30 September, last year, and was originally due to end Sept 27th 2021.

The STV was introduced as a temporary Visa choice as a replacement to the METV (Multiple entry Tourist Visa) which has been temporarily suspended due to borders being closed.

The STV is valid for 3 months from the date of issue to enter Thailand and grants a stay of 90 days on entry.
You can extend that 90 day stay a further two times at local Immigration offices throughout Thailand.
Meaning you can stay for a total of up to 9 months without the need to cross a border.
A mandatory Health Insurance policy applies for both the Visa application and subsequent applications for extending your stay, which must cover 400K THB inpatient and 40K THB inpatient treatment.
Purchase your Health Insurance through the recommended TGIA website to cover the entirety of your intended stay, here:
Home - Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa in Thailand (tgia.org)

This recent development in change of policy has received local news coverage, but not from Thai Immigration or the Thai Embassies where initial applications for the above Visa type are submitted.

The Thai Embassy, Washington DC, USA appears to have received the news ( » Visa and Certificate of Entry procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to obtain Special Tourist Visa (STV) (thaiembdc.org) and offering the STV, but many other Thai Embassies still list it as 'unavailable, such as the Thai Embassy UK as well as in Europe. 

Example >
Requirements for foreigners travelling to Thailand during COVID-19 travel restriction and Requirements for the Phuket Sandbox from 1 October 2021 - Royal Thai Embassy, London

**STV cannot be extended after 30 September 2021. Please DO NOT apply for STV after 30 June 2021 and applicants must arrive in Thailand before 3 July 2021 if they wish to extend their stay after 90 days. Application to extend their stay in Thailand must be submitted before 30 September 2021.**

However, even though the websites may not have been updated to reflect the news, the STV is once again available as my recent written enquiry to the Thai Embassy London and their reply confirms;
Mon, 4 Oct at 21:05
Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you for your email.

1) If you wish to apply for an STV visa  & COE, please follow the steps below.

2) Please note that all in-person visa services are suspended. Visa services will be provided online only.  .

3) 1) Please visit www.thaievisa.go.th 
2) Sign up for individual   
3) Complete the visa application, submit and make a payment online 
4) From 27 September 2021, you do not need to post your passport and original supporting documents to the embassy. 
5) Instead, your visa will be approved online, and a confirmation e-mail will be sent to your registered email address. 
6) You may print a copy of your visa for airlines and Thai Immigration officials to carry out checks when traveling to Thailand. 

4) Providing you meet all the eligibility criteria, and uploaded all the required documents in the visa system, the current online visa processing time is approximately 2-3 working days, from the date your visa application is submitted 

Please check online for your visa status. "Finished" & "Issued Visa" means your visa has been granted, and the online email confirmation has been sent to you. 

5) Once the visa has been approved (or if you have an existing valid visa, or if you wish to go on a visa exemption), you may proceed to apply for a Certificate of Entry (COE). All passengers traveling to Thailand need a COE issued by the Royal Thai Embassy to enter the country. Each passenger has to register and apply individually.  

(Please note for visa exemption, please choose "medium-term stay" and then "visa exemption" on the COE application.) 

6) Also, prior to your departure, it is necessary for all non-Thai passengers to have the following documents ready to be presented to the immigration upon your arrival. Failure to do so can result in the denial of entering the Kingdom of Thailand. 
1. The Certificate of Entry issued by the Royal Thai Embassy  
3. Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), issued within 72 hours before departure 
4. Copy of your insurance policy which covers COVID and no less than 100,000 USD medical coverage 
5. Copy of your Confirmed booking at an ASQ hotel (if you are arriving in Bangkok), or SHA hotel if you are participating in the Phuket Sandbox.  
6. T.8 form 

I hope this is of assistance, but please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cool 1

Thanks for the update FAZ.

Personally I do not understand why - with the currently available options - that anyone would now opt to apply for the STV.  The STV was introduced during the period last year when you couldn't enter Thailand VisaExempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa.  So if you were not over 50 years of age or married to a Thai national, it was the ONLY option to come to Thailand, hence its relative success.

But currently the VisaExempt or 60-day Tourist Visa options are far better choices, and will even allow you to stay LONGER than the max 270 days a 2-time extended STV can provide you.  And they do not require to subscribe to the 400K/40K health-insurance, nor to provide evidence of sufficient funds on your bank-account.

But what about the period of time these options can provide you when entering Thailand on them?  Having entered VisaExempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa, you can easily extend the permission to stay you will receive on entry for an additional 30 days at any local Immigration office.  After that - and being already allowed 75 or 90 days in Thailand - you can apply for the 60-day covid-extension, no questions asked and you can keep on doing that till Thai Immigration will stop issuing these.  But it is as good as certain that as long as border restrictions are in place that they will keep on issuing them.  And when border restrictions are loosened and Thai Immigration decides to stop issuing these 60-day covid-extensions, it would be just a matter of doing a border-run and re-enter VisaExempt or applying for a Tourist Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate of the country where you did the run (e.g. the popular Savannakhet Thai Consulate is just over the Laos border from Mukdahan).

In short > I really do not understand the reasoning behind the prolongation of the STV, as it has several drawbacks and little benefits compared to the other available options.  Obviously there will be applicants for it, but that would be solely because of their limited knowledge on how to navigate the Thai Visa jungle to pick the best option.

Gentlemen, thank you for your info.

I didn't look further into the STV, by what seemed the necessity to have a permanent address the whole time.  I recently arrived Visa exempt via Phuket, and am looking at online Thai language schools and an educational visa which hopefully will work for me to allow a longer stay, but mainly to help me progress with my Thai.

Thanks, Kun Sphinx for mentioning the two-month covid-extension.  I was unaware.  

Could one of you, or anyone else, tell me if the STV is an option once someone is in the country?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, unsernametaken said:

Could one of you, or anyone else, tell me if the STV is an option once someone is in the country?

No, it can only be applied for through a Thai Embassy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, unsernametaken said:

Thanks, Kun Sphinx for mentioning the two-month covid-extension.  I was unaware.  

You can apply for one 30 day extension if you entered VE.
You can also apply for a 60 day Covid extension - open a new topic for further questions/advice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

In short > I really do not understand the reasoning behind the prolongation of the STV, as it has several drawbacks and little benefits compared to the other available options.  Obviously there will be applicants for it, but that would be solely because of their limited knowledge on how to navigate the Thai Visa jungle to pick the best option.

Difference of opinions.
I think it's perfect for those wanting to stay for a guaranteed 90 -270 days per year.
A better option than the METV.
No borders runs and associated costs, 2 x 90 day extensions (locally) 1,900 baht each.
Health Insurance v Travel costs, time, Visa, possible overnight stay - HI probably the cheaper option.

No guarantees with the 60 day Covid extensions - wing and a prayer.
Malaysia already announced it's considering opening the border to Thailand in January.

• Like 2

I have been trying to find concrete info on this since seeing the accouncrment of the extension. This suits my needs well and am ok with the requirements. 

My issue is that I cannot find a method to apply.  It is not listed on the new evisa portal. Also, the wording posted above from the embassy in Washington DC is old, likely from when it was first announced last October. 

I had a lengthy conversation with a visa agent in the USA yesterday. He was not very optimistic about it and believed it was only a way to save face over the program but that the actual embassies do not want to issue it. He said after some early success with clients they stopped issuing  them despite the official word being that the program was still going. 

So, for now I will wait and see if anything develops with this.  I believe there is a Thai agent or so that will attempt to facilitate this but it really depends on the embassy/consulate you select and they will take their fee without regard to concern over your chances of being issued a visa.

Edited by MikeV
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Difference of opinions.
I think it's perfect for those wanting to stay for a guaranteed 90 -270 days per year.
A better option than the METV.
No borders runs and associated costs, 2 x 90 day extensions (locally) 1,900 baht each.
Health Insurance v Travel costs, time, Visa, possible overnight stay - HI probably the cheaper option.

No guarantees with the 60 day Covid extensions - wing and a prayer.
Malaysia already announced it's considering opening the border to Thailand in January.

There is no METV now though, right? I had used it for years prior to covid. It's not an option currently as far as I know. Is it?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MikeV said:

There is no METV now though, right? I had used it for years prior to covid. It's not an option currently as far as I know. Is it?

The METV is currently suspended as it's unworkable with borders being closed.
The STV is a temporary replacement permitting you to stay for up to 9 months, without the need to cross any borders.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MikeV said:

My issue is that I cannot find a method to apply.  It is not listed on the new evisa portal. Also, the wording posted above from the embassy in Washington DC is old, likely from when it was first announced last October. 

https://thaiembdc.org/visa_tourist_coe/
(Special Tourist Visa (STV) will be in effect until 30 September 2022)

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/

It's a Tourist type Visa - apply in that portal.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Faz said:

It's not mentioned or given as an option anywhere in that portal. I've looked a lot.

I might be blind so if you have an idea where it's an option I'd be appreciative.

Edited by MikeV
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MikeV said:

Has anyone seen this Visa in the EVisa system?

When you're applying select "Duration of stay no longer than 90 days" for the reason of visit on the first page.

Edited by JamesE
missed something
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

When you're applying select "Duration of stay no longer than 90 days" for the reason of visit on the first page.

And be aware that once in Thailand and when applying for a 90-day extension of stay of that STV, that you need to provide evidence that the mandatory 400K/40K health-insurance which you needed for entry would cover the full 90-day extension stay.  And some rogue Immigration Offices also require same for the +100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance. 

9 hours ago, MikeV said:

It's not mentioned or given as an option anywhere in that portal. I've looked a lot.

I might be blind so if you have an idea where it's an option I'd be appreciative.

10 hours ago, Faz said:

Both links provided by FAZ do work and together provide all required info for an STV-application. 

But do read my earlier post in this thread when you do not intend to stay longer than 75-90 days, because in that case entering Thailand VisaExempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa will not only save you the admin-hassle of applying for the STV, but it will also be far cheaper to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 8:17 PM, BlueSphinx said:

But do read my earlier post in this thread when you do not intend to stay longer than 75-90 days, because in that case entering Thailand VisaExempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa will not only save you the admin-hassle of applying for the STV, but it will also be far cheaper to do so.

I am drawn to the "far cheaper" part you wrote.

Do you or anyone have some actual numbers regarding cost difference versus stay durations? In my case I am considering the STV as I am unsure how long I would like to stay (never been to Thailand). If staying, for example, an extra 30 for a total of 120 days equals a difference by a large amount I would most likely go with the VisaExempt path versus STV hassle and costs. Thx

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raugh said:

Do you or anyone have some actual numbers regarding cost difference versus stay durations? In my case I am considering the STV as I am unsure how long I would like to stay (never been to Thailand). If staying, for example, an extra 30 for a total of 120 days equals a difference by a large amount I would most likely go with the VisaExempt path versus STV hassle and costs. Thx

Here an overview of the costs associated with an STV-entry and a VisaExempt or 60-day Tourist Visa entry and extensions.

STV >

#1 - Application at the Thai Embassy of your home-country = a 400K/40K health-insurance policy (some Embassies require this policy to be a THAI on) for the period of your stay < minimum covering the 90-day permission to stay the STV will provide you on entry > 

#2 - Meeting current CoE requirements = a +100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance which will cover as a minimum the 90-day permission to stay the STV will provide you on entry

#3 - Extending your STV once in Thailand for an additional 90-days, to be done at a Thai Immigration office , cost 1.900 THB >.  You would also need to provide evidence that the 400K/40K health-insurance policy (see #1)  would also cover the full period of the additional 90-days you apply for.  And some Thai Immigration offices require the same for the +100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance (see #2)

VISA Exempt or 60-day Tourist Visa >

#1 - Application at the Thai Embassy of your home-country = only applicable for the 60-day Tourist Visa and your home-country Thai Embassy fee for the application would apply

#2 - Meeting current CoE requirements = a +100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance which will cover as a minimum the 30-day permission to stay the Visa Exempt entry will provide you (currently unclear whether the 45-days granted because of quarantaine for a VE-entry has been normalized back to 30 days), or the 60-day permission to stay the 60-day Tourist Visa will provide you

#3 - A VisaExempt or Tourist Visa entry, also requires an outbound flight-ticket before the date of your initial permission to stay for which you will be stamped in on entry (i.e 30 days or 60 days).  In case you intend to extend your visit and your return-flight is at a later date (or you entered on a one-way flight), you would need to buy a cheap 'throw-away' one-way outbound flight-ticket (e.g. Bangkok - HoChiMinh City  or HuaHin - Kualu Lumpur could pre-covid be bought on-line for approx 1.200 THB)

#4 - Extending your VisaExempt or Tourist Visa entry once in Thailand for an additional 30-days, can be done at any  Thai Immigration office, cost 1.900 THB >.

#5 - Extending your visit beyond the 30+30 days or the 60+30 days > applying at a Thai immigration office for a 60-day covid-extension (cost 1.900 THB) - such 60-day extensions can be applied for as long as Thai Immigration keeps on providing them due to current border restrictions.  Once border restrictions have been lifted Thai Immigration will cease issuing them, but then it is matter of doing a quick same-day border-run and re-enter Thailand VisaExempt which will provide once again 30 days permission to stay (which can be extended once for an additional 30 days at any Thai Immigration office).  And you can keep on repeating this for as long as you intend to stay (but after staying more than 180 days on extended VEs or TVs the risk of not being allowed entry will gradually increase as border Immigration would then want you to enter on a Non Imm O Visa rather than on Tourist Visa).

CONCLUSION > If you do not intend to stay more than 180 days, it is definitely less admin hassle (and cheaper) to simply enter Thailand Visa Exempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa and extend your stay once in Thailand (without any STV insurance requirements).  

4 hours ago, Raugh said:

You wrote > If staying, for example, an extra 30 for a total of 120 days equals a difference by a large amount I would most likely go with the VisaExempt path versus STV hassle and costs. 

You can only apply twice for a 90-day extension from an original STV.  Even if you intend to use only one week of the extension beyond 90-days, you would need to apply for the 90-day extension (and cost for ANY extension is always same > 1.900 THB).

Also be aware that having extended your STV twice (thus having been 270 days in Thailand) there is no option to apply for another regular extension or switch to a Non Imm O Visa in country.  When border-restrictions would still be in place at that time (we are talking more than 9 months from now) you would be able to apply for a 60-day covid extension, and keep on repeating that.  Once border-restrictions are lifted you would of course have the option to visit a neighboring country and apply there for a Tourist Visa or Non Imm O Visa, or simply return VisaExempt to prolonge your stay.

5 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

Here an overview of the costs associated with an STV-entry and a VisaExempt or 60-day Tourist Visa entry and extensions.

STV >

#1 - Application at the Thai Embassy of your home-country = a 400K/40K health-insurance policy (some Embassies require this policy to be a THAI on) for the period of your stay < minimum covering the 90-day permission to stay the STV will provide you on entry > 

#2 - Meeting current CoE requirements = a +100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance which will cover as a minimum the 90-day permission to stay the STV will provide you on entry

#3 - Extending your STV once in Thailand for an additional 90-days, to be done at a Thai Immigration office , cost 1.900 THB >.  You would also need to provide evidence that the 400K/40K health-insurance policy (see #1)  would also cover the full period of the additional 90-days you apply for.  And some Thai Immigration offices require the same for the +100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance (see #2)

VISA Exempt or 60-day Tourist Visa >

#1 - Application at the Thai Embassy of your home-country = only applicable for the 60-day Tourist Visa and your home-country Thai Embassy fee for the application would apply

#2 - Meeting current CoE requirements = a +100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance which will cover as a minimum the 30-day permission to stay the Visa Exempt entry will provide you (currently unclear whether the 45-days granted because of quarantaine for a VE-entry has been normalized back to 30 days), or the 60-day permission to stay the 60-day Tourist Visa will provide you

#3 - A VisaExempt or Tourist Visa entry, also requires an outbound flight-ticket before the date of your initial permission to stay for which you will be stamped in on entry (i.e 30 days or 60 days).  In case you intend to extend your visit and your return-flight is at a later date (or you entered on a one-way flight), you would need to buy a cheap 'throw-away' one-way outbound flight-ticket (e.g. Bangkok - HoChiMinh City  or HuaHin - Kualu Lumpur could pre-covid be bought on-line for approx 1.200 THB)

#4 - Extending your VisaExempt or Tourist Visa entry once in Thailand for an additional 30-days, can be done at any  Thai Immigration office, cost 1.900 THB >.

#5 - Extending your visit beyond the 30+30 days or the 60+30 days > applying at a Thai immigration office for a 60-day covid-extension (cost 1.900 THB) - such 60-day extensions can be applied for as long as Thai Immigration keeps on providing them due to current border restrictions.  Once border restrictions have been lifted Thai Immigration will cease issuing them, but then it is matter of doing a quick same-day border-run and re-enter Thailand VisaExempt which will provide once again 30 days permission to stay (which can be extended once for an additional 30 days at any Thai Immigration office).  And you can keep on repeating this for as long as you intend to stay (but after staying more than 180 days on extended VEs or TVs the risk of not being allowed entry will gradually increase as border Immigration would then want you to enter on a Non Imm O Visa rather than on Tourist Visa).

CONCLUSION > If you do not intend to stay more than 180 days, it is definitely less admin hassle (and cheaper) to simply enter Thailand Visa Exempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa and extend your stay once in Thailand (without any STV insurance requirements).  

Mate - thanks for all that - excellent summary. I gotta disagree with your 'conclusion' though.

MY CONCLUSION - wait until all this ever-changing crap, and ripoff tests, quarantines, curfews, travel restrictions, no alcohol, and insurance scams are over with, before visiting Thailand in 2022 (maybe). Especially be careful in paying for it all up front if: 

1. You could end up staying 14 days in an ASQ Hotel from a positive PCR result or if you sat near someone that tested positive, and

2. There is the possibility that there is another outbreak in Covid numbers and deaths, so they change all the rules instantly (and no refunds like last time), and

3. The mandatory Thai apps (Morchan and Codee) take all your private information and are as secure as a windows firewall (insecure), and they regularly crash and dont work for hours and sometimes for days after your smartphone/device updates, or after they 'update' the apps (which is the only way you get given your PCR test results), and 

....... I have no time today to list all the negatives and dangers in visiting Thailand on a holiday in 2021 (and maybe 2022?).   Good luck to those returning for families and work/business - hope it all goes well for you.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I booked flights to Bangkok Some time ago with a view to travelling to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Obviously given the current situation its very unlikely i will be able to cross the borders so the 80 days between the arrival and departure flights would not be covered by 60 day options. STV seemed like a reasonable option to have everything done and dusted. We are looking to travel around the country staying around 1-2 weeks in various places especially if there wasn't a huge financial implication although the concept of having to prove accommodation is bought and paid for for 3 months is likely a deal breaker. Booking an additional bogus international flight seems a little extreme. I'm getting more and more confused.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 7:53 PM, Kurt said:

We are looking to travel around the country staying around 1-2 weeks in various places especially if there wasn't a huge financial implication although the concept of having to prove accommodation is bought and paid for for 3 months is likely a deal breaker.

Where did you get that information from?

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 1:53 PM, Kurt said:

Hi I booked flights to Bangkok Some time ago with a view to travelling to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Obviously given the current situation its very unlikely i will be able to cross the borders so the 80 days between the arrival and departure flights would not be covered by 60 day options. STV seemed like a reasonable option to have everything done and dusted. We are looking to travel around the country staying around 1-2 weeks in various places especially if there wasn't a huge financial implication although the concept of having to prove accommodation is bought and paid for for 3 months is likely a deal breaker. Booking an additional bogus international flight seems a little extreme. I'm getting more and more confused.

If you only intend to stay 80 days, you could apply in your home-country for the 60-day Tourist Visa, and in the last 2 weeks of the 60 day permission to stay from that Tourist Visa you could then apply for a one time only 30-day extension of stay at any provincial Thai Immigration Office (cost 1.900 THB). 

Also be aware that when wanting to enter Thailand VisaExempt (30 day permission to stay) or on a 60-day Tourist Visa (60 day permission to stay), that you would need to show an OUTBOUND flight-ticket on a date before the permission to stay you will be stamped in on entry.  As your return-flight is already booked 80 days after arrival, you thus would need to buy a cheap one-way 'throw-away' outbound flight ticket as the airline will require it when boarding your flight for BKK and also Thai border-immigration might request you show such outbound ticket. You can buy on-line a cheap one-way throw-away flight ticket from Bangkok to HoChiMinh City (or any other international destination for that matter) for approx 1.200 THB, so that's not an issue.

• 5 months later...

I want to travel to Thailand with my wife and kids around Aug 2022. We'd like to stay around 6 months (I have accrueds annual/paternity leave I'm taking that covers all that time). We're not sure how, or if, we can do it and there is so much conflicting information online. STV will expire on Sep so I wouldn't be able to use that. Would visa runs on a regulat tourist visa be an option? Can anyone help with some info? 

kind regards.

If you are from a country from which citizens have the privilege of entering Thailand, Visa Exempt (VE) then you can just fly in and spend up to 30 days in the country and then extend for another 30 days (at an Immigration Office in the town where your hotel is located). Then fly out for an excursion to, say, Cambodia. Stay a while there and enjoy the sights. Fly back into Thailand and enter VE again for another 60 days. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 1