Air Purifiers for the House in Thailand

AussieBob

Depending on where one lives in Thailand, there is always the need for air purifiers. In some places (Chiang Mai/Rai) the need is high, whereas is others (Phuket) the need is not as much - but they are always needed.  When we lived in Thailand the costs of air purifiers and their replacement filters was far higher than here in Australia.  

I have been checking around about how things are and came across this website: https://airdeveloppa.co/aircleaner-personal/#overview  They are a local company in Chiang Mai that uses the ‘HEPA’ filter from an Xiaomi air purifier (and several other brands also use it), and then puts on top a basic fan to draw the air though.  Very cost effective – but probably not so quiet and probably none of those 'smart' features - but does that really matter? 

It seems to me that the whole air purifier market is a bit of a scam.  Massively over priced devices and very high 'HEPA' replacement filter costs. Plus there is a huge difference between what is classified as ‘HEPA’ and what is marketed as 'HEPA'.  I checked out Wiki and there are several levels of ‘HEPA’ filters - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEPA   It seems to me that a lot of companies are using EPA 10-12 filters and claiming they are HEPA filters. But other companies are using 'real' HEPA filters and then adding an expensive 'designer' container with fancy lights etc, and then they add a 3-4 stage extractor fan with ‘smart’ software, and then they charge an exorbitant amount of money.   

When we were in Thailand we used to put that 3M filter paper over the air intake filter of the air conditioners, and then use a Sharp air purifier from Home Pro in the bedroom. Has anyone been through this all and is willing to provide any advice about what they do about air purifiers in Thailand?

Today it is a lot better in those areas you mentioned, but when the 'fires' are active then having good air purifiers in the house is very much needed.  Even Phuket has bad air at times - mainly from the fires down in Indonesia and Malaysia, but believe it or not, also from the fires in India, Sri Lanka and even as far as Africa. This below is now, but it was much worse in Phuket before the monsoons:

image.png.a13fb7db2d2c6462b8945b50acdd9dec.png

Depends where you live in Chiang Mai as certain western and northern districts of the city experience more smoke when bush fires erupt in Nat Parks.  Eg: Samoeng, Mae Hia, Nimman, Suthep, Mae Rim. 

Also depends on window type, low quality alum. joinery or IP-rated joinery which keeps dust out.  If the latter, then a 3M protected air-con will work wonders in most eastern and southern districts.

It's not high altitude smoke (from India/Burma) which causes a problem, rather the dust particles which are lifted airborne through convection and become trapped by an inversion layer which 'holds' the smoke and dust over the city.  The dust particles, soil, rubber, burnt diesel etc is kicked up by construction and traffic and high AQI readings correspond to peak traffic times.

I see many BS products on the market with all the bells, whistles and flashing leds so it would pay to research Canstar or Whirlpool for reliable advice before buying.

• Like 1

contrary to popular belief the air can be very filthy in Hua Hin. I got the Airdeveloppa filter for my office and bedroom. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/airdeveloppa-diy-air-purifier-30-pm-25-hepa-xiaomi-12-i902962582-s2225258234.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.47c178d8UdJA1e&search=1

make sure you buy from the Airdeveloppa Store on Lazada. 

Richard Barrow did a test of before and after using this filter with 2.5ppm meters and the results were impressive. after opening the windows, cleared his Bangkok condo from a very high reading down below 50 ppm in about 20 minutes. 

it has a variable speed control from very slight to almost like a blow drier moving a huge amount of air. I run mine in my office all night long on full blast. 

bedroom on medium all day and then the lowest setting during the night. can't hear it over the AC. 

I am sure my computers are also much happier with far less dust in the air now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

contrary to popular belief the air can be very filthy in Hua Hin. I got the Airdeveloppa filter for my office and bedroom. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/airdeveloppa-diy-air-purifier-30-pm-25-hepa-xiaomi-12-i902962582-s2225258234.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.47c178d8UdJA1e&search=1

make sure you buy from the Airdeveloppa Store on Lazada. 

Richard Barrow did a test of before and after using this filter with 2.5ppm meters and the results were impressive. after opening the windows, cleared his Bangkok condo from a very high reading down below 50 ppm in about 20 minutes. 

it has a variable speed control from very slight to almost like a blow drier moving a huge amount of air. I run mine in my office all night long on full blast. 

bedroom on medium all day and then the lowest setting during the night. can't hear it over the AC. 

I am sure my computers are also much happier with far less dust in the air now. 

Yep that is the one - seems like a good price to me. Thanks for the feedback. 

• Like 1