Time to build a house!

GMoney2312

2 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

It will look like this

New Front View.JPG

Steel roof sheeting, good stuff! 👍

Please ask your builder why ladder truss -v - steel beams as the only reasons I can think of now is that you might have vaulted ceilings (?) and require that extra height the trusses provide.  Or is it a noise issue ... less expansion/contraction perhaps?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

you might have vaulted ceilings (?)

No vaulted, but room for insulation. May get a small attic space for some storage.

11 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Steel roof sheeting, good stuff! 👍

Please ask your builder why ladder truss -v - steel beams as the only reasons I can think of now is that you might have vaulted ceilings (?) and require that extra height the trusses provide.  Or is it a noise issue ... less expansion/contraction perhaps?

Talking of noise issues, isn't a metal roof going to be more noisy than a tiled roof when it rains heavily?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

I avoid funerals whenever possible, not being disrespectful, just can't abide all the loud music, eating and drinking which as Marc says, seems out of whack.  If I were in Ireland I'd expect a wake to be similar but not go on and on for days ... or does it?

In Boston depends on the age of person 

But it used to be 3 wake sessions and then the funeral 

So 3 days

Now it is usually 2 wake sessions then the funeral

So 2 days

Then there is usually a gathering after which is like any other family gathering

Lots of booze.....

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

In Boston depends on the age of person 

But it used to be 3 wake sessions and then the funeral 

So 3 days

Now it is usually 2 wake sessions then the funeral

So 2 days

Then there is usually a gathering after which is like any other family gathering

Lots of booze.....

'In Boston depends on the age of person' - does that mean it's proportional or inversely proportional to age? 🤣

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Talking of noise issues, isn't a metal roof going to be more noisy than a tiled roof when it rains heavily?

Not necessarily.  That sheet style shown normally comes with ~40mm insulation pre-attached for both condensation, thermal and noise protection.  Similar to pic below >

insulated-roofing-sheet-500x500.jpg

In ceiling thermal insulation is still necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

No vaulted, but room for insulation. May get a small attic space for some storage.

Maybe your builder is going with lightweight trusses?  That might explain the truss beams.  One thing, you won't get any roof sag! 😀

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Not necessarily.  That sheet style shown normally comes with ~40mm insulation pre-attached for both condensation, thermal and noise protection.  Similar to pic below >

https://4.imimg.com/data4/QY/QG/MY-1458365/insulated-roofing-sheet-500x500.jpg

In ceiling thermal insulation is still necessary.

More  likely to get 5mm thin foam  glued to the back which  will  fall  off  in a few  years, their  metal is  often way to thin also and  unlike many countries they dont over board  first making it easier to walk on and work  on.

Im  just re-roofing  one of my buildings  due to Shera crap Tiles all  splitting,  utter  junk the things were, fibre  cement made of  tissue  paper I reckon, lasted 7  years before  all cracking. As usual doing  it myself as  cant trust a Thai certainly round here , every short cut  possible. I screw  into every rib, dont think itll  blow  off  in a hurry.

20220107_180102.jpg

Edited by RampantRabbit
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, RampantRabbit said:

More  likely to get 5mm thin foam  glued to the back which  will  fall  off  in a few  years, their  metal is  often way to thin also and  unlike many countries they dont over board  first making it easier to walk on and work  on.

I'm quite sure Greg will have specified a Colorbond type quality steel sheet product.  (I had our carport and cabana flat roofs sheeted with the kliplok product and sprayed with anti-condensation foam insulation) 

For large pitched roofs the 5mm foam is a joke and I've seen new roofs replaced within weeks with a quality product after a boulder tried to shortcut the client.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I'm quite sure Greg will have specified a Colorbond type quality steel sheet product.

Well- here is the spec. Should I add more thickness guys?

IMG_1629.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

IMG_1629.jpg

I'm just being pedantic here.
In the spec. it mentions the thickness of the sheet and 'PE insulation' (that must be heat insulation then, as it's what it says in Thai above) Silver coloured sheets I see.

can't see

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

IMG_1629.jpg

Mate - I do not mean to jump in here and give advice about something I do not know.  But - I know of a guy who built his own house in Thailand, and he had a ton of problems with the builder and suppliers not providing things 'to spec'. What I suggest you always do, is tell the builder and suppliers that you want a sample of all main components, before you will give him the go ahead to use it.  Even then, he would 'supervise' every day - because things would be delivered to the site, that were not the same as the sample. Constant verification and vigilance is my advice. He even resorted to sourcing components directly himself - usually delivered from Bangkok (avoiding the locals who are used to getting away with supplying the cheaper stuff on orders).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

I'm quite sure Greg will have specified a Colorbond type quality steel sheet product.  (I had our carport and cabana flat roofs sheeted with the kliplok product and sprayed with anti-condensation foam insulation) 

For large pitched roofs the 5mm foam is a joke and I've seen new roofs replaced within weeks with a quality product after a boulder tried to shortcut the client.

Depends  really on what you want, this  stuff  has  5mm  foam on and it does a   better  jo0b than none which was what the fibre  boards  had + I also have fibreglass  insulation on the ceilings so really thats enough by  far, I  have it mainly to deaden the noise of rain. Bluescope..........hm had d ealing s  with them before, not good, lets  just say their franchise members need a good kicking, delievring bent damaged  panels to me on another  house

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

IMG_1629.jpg

jesus 0.35  metal sheet  is  almost the thinnest you can get, Ive got 45 on my cheap roof  just done and you can go up form that  with colorbond to 55 and on frommemory........0.35 hahaha wafer thin as MP would say.just another wafer thin mint monsieur

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/25/2021 at 8:13 AM, GMoney2312 said:

Merry Christmas!

OK heres  ya  comments..............slump test? addition of  waterproofer ( very cheap) GANZUM in the mix....looking at it ,its the normal overwet Thai urine with a few stones thrown in. Then after its  gone slightly  off  get the water on it ie sprinkler or  cover it to slow down  water loss as it cures.

Edited by RampantRabbit
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

There is nothing that makes me sleep faster than the sound of rain! Bring it on!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, RampantRabbit said:

jesus 0.35  metal sheet  is  almost the thinnest you can get, Ive got 45 on my cheap roof  just done and you can go up form that  with colorbond to 55 and on frommemory........0.35 hahaha wafer thin as MP would say.just another wafer thin mint monsieur

.35 is usually only specified for walls.  .42 to .45 for roofs and up to .70 in special applications. 

.35 would buckle too easily especially if the purlin spacing is any more than 90 cm and even then I wouldn't want any odd bod climbing over the roof.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

There is nothing that makes me sleep faster than the sound of rain! Bring it on!

Maybe.  We have a lot of 'tin roofs' here in Aust - very much standard in the old days. I was once sleeping in a shed that did not have the min specs because it was not a house. I could not sleep at all when it rained hard - unbelievably noisy.  Quality terracotta tiles are the best - the quality stuff costs more but it lasts 50+ years. But - the weight advantage of tin is best - especially when used with other Thailand building materials. But I reckon get the really good insulated stuff or you will regret it in 10-15 years.  Colorbond is the best and you can get in in Thailand - Bangkok I believe. 

https://www.nsbluescope.com/th/en/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GMoney2312 said:

You are Thai already!

For me there's nothing that keeps me awake at night like rain, or any type of noise.
I have to resort to sleeping pills - namely four large Leos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

.35 is usually only specified for walls.  .42 to .45 for roofs and up to .70 in special applications. 

My roof has not been ordered yet, so we are going to raise our mm number!

Thanks!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, GMoney2312 said:

Still in the middle of my wife`s fathers funeral- which lasts 5 days- meaning we keep spending money to feed everyone over and over again. Seems backwards to me.

5 days quite long, yet means the man was very important in the village and respected.  

Interesting thread on house build, am intrigued and interested and wish you and yours the best

• Like 2