Time to build a house!

GMoney2312

Hello all,

In a blatant attempt at self promotion, I started a UTube Channel to record my home building experience here in Seka.

I did the first video all on my I Phone, which was rather easy. No drone yet, but that will follow!

Need to get the Go Pro involved as well.

So take a look and give me a like or comment! All criticisms welcome!

Thanks!

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

home building experience here in Seka.

wow looking at Seka on google maps you are way out there.

if you are ok with sharing info, land costs and on going construction would be interesting. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

if you are ok with sharing info, land costs and on going construction would be interesting. 

I will be listing prices later. But we did buy the 60 X 20 meter piece of land for $10,000 USD 8 years ago. Now it is worth over $35,000!

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

looks good. can i move into your temp building? 😀

Sorry, the wrecking ball hits that building soon!🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GMoney2312 said:

I will be listing prices later. But we did buy the 60 X 20 meter piece of land for $10,000 USD 8 years ago. Now it is worth over $35,000!

Don't intend to question but that size of land for the price you paid seems exceptionally high. Of course the value of anything is what ever you choose to pay for it, but at round 240.000 THB per rai that is quite high for the  area.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

Now it is worth over $35,000!

You mean that is your asking price if there is anyone wants to buy it, with your home-built house on it.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Have you had any experience with Thai...ermm tradesmen?

You will need a lot of patience...

Good luck!

🙂

There is lots of good tradesmen here, lots of clowns as well just need to root them out,

The one bit of advise I always tell people "Dont use any Family members" 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Transam said:

I have never seen piling for house foundations in my area, what they do here is use an excavator to dig holes until they hit solid ground, then a steel frame is made to put at the bottom of the hole, then concrete is poured over it to form big pads, then the uprights are built on the pads.

My house is built on 16 pads and has two flights of stairs... 

Mine is on 24, and the holes were dug by hand.

01 Footings.JPG

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Mine is on 24, and the holes were dug by hand.

01 Footings.JPG

Requirement for piling is dependant upon the soil reports and reputable builders working with an architect and/or engineer should get one done anyway. Going to a local builder , a decent one , then piling requirements can be determined by prior builds if in a nearby location.  Where I live we have an extremely high GBP so no piling is ever needed yet almost every house in Bangkok would need to be given the soil conditions as an example. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gummy said:

Requirement for piling is dependant upon the soil reports and reputable builders working with an architect and/or engineer should get one done anyway. Going to a local builder , a decent one , then piling requirements can be determined by prior builds if in a nearby location.  Where I live we have an extremely high GBP so no piling is ever needed yet almost every house in Bangkok would need to be given the soil conditions as an example. 

They tried to pile-drive concrete posts into the ground. When two of them broke at 1 metre down, they gave up and dug holes. 12 years, and the place hasn't moved an inch (or centimetre).

PS. The broken posts are still in my back garden.

Edited by WilliamG
  • Like 6

Just now, WilliamG said:

They tried to pile-drive concrete posts into the ground. When two of them broke at 1 metre down, they gave up and dug holes. 12 years, and the place hasn't moved an inch (or centimetre).

Pile refusal after 1 mtr suggests that there was never a need for them anyway but of course hammer energy is another factor. I have seen some poor designs here even with piled foundations as the rest of the foundation design was simply inadequate resulting in differential settlement. Generally speaking Thai civil engineers are pretty good at their job, the problems usually arise by lack of inspection of the contractor and them simply getting away with cutting corners.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WilliamG said:

You mean that is your asking price if there is anyone wants to buy it, with your home-built house on it.

Land only for that updated price

3 hours ago, gummy said:

Don't intend to question but that size of land for the price you paid seems exceptionally high.

The amount of Farang moving in to the area has raised the price.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Have got a house design in mind yet as a matter of interest ?

We have the plan already. Have a larger company working on it. SN Concept House. They should have the first plans drawn up end of this week. 

2 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

The one bit of advise I always tell people "Dont use any Family members" 

Too late! Just for the wall only- nothing else.

2 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

We have the plan already. Have a larger company working on it. SN Concept House. They should have the first plans drawn up end of this week. 

Good for you, please keep us updated on the progress if you wish

• Like 2

Just now, gummy said:

Good for you, please keep us updated on the progress if you wish

I will, should have a new UTube video tomorrow with some pricing info as well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

Not a good sign.

So, what exactly makes a community that grows more diverse with a mix of more people from around the world NOT a good sign?

11 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

So, what exactly makes a community that grows more diverse with a mix of more people from around the world NOT a good sign?

From a personal perspective if I wanted to live in a mixed community  then I would have chosen a more metropolitan area to live in. That was not my choice and the likelihood of other foreigners coming to  live in my village is remote currently, but each to his own.

• Like 1