News Forum - Chiang Mai Re-opening, New tourist tax, Army spends locally | Good Morning Thailand | Ep. 102

Thaiger

In today’s episode Jay and Tim talk about Chiang mai opening to domestic and international tourists, the new 500 BHT tax for tourist starting next year, Pandora papers and the Thai army wants to spend locally.

The post Chiang Mai Re-opening, New tourist tax, Army spends locally | Good Morning Thailand | Ep. 102 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A tourist tax???? How much more nonsense can this government dream up? So, on top of the ridiculous testing and quarantine costs tourists must absorb, now they want to add more cost? Tourists aren't coming here in any worthwhile numbers until the bars, clubs and nightlife are opened up anyway, so this is just anotger reason to avoid Thailand. Hardly a welcome hand being extended, but rather one to extract even more money!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Thaired said:

A tourist tax???? How much more nonsense can this government dream up?

A lot more I suspect as there is no ending to the  idiotic behaviour when it comes to this Thai administration.

1 hour ago, gummy said:

A lot more I suspect as there is no ending to the  idiotic behaviour when it comes to this Thai administration.

All this nonsense is just starting to seep through. 

Haven't seen anything yet. 

Any convoluted schemes and cons they can come up with. It's what they do.

The people making these decisions must have pudding for brains. Getting into Thailand is already a pain in the ass but some Gilligan thinks it’s a good idea to tax tourists an extra 500baht and they won’t mind?! How do they keep their jobs?! On another note-we get it!  The viewers know you have to promote your sponsors but a simple mention is enough. Do you have to trot out the coffee bags every show and smell them, and talk about the limited edition mugs AND act like youre drinking it. I bet Jays mug is empty every time. 

If you come to thailand with only ONE thing to remember this will serve you well..

Money No 1.....Ive heard it straight from the mouths of thais and it rings true...sadly

Cash is King and it solves just about any issue 99.9% here..the trick is accepting it..

As this is pretty much the same worldwide, is just more obvious in Thailand..

I compare it to a traffic tix...in thai you pay the cop right there and drive off, in the states

I get the tix, can contest it, take day off from work and lose pay, or pay tix and likely

get points on my record and my insurance rates may rise, is just a longer route to same result.

Im not happy about it but it is what it is and you will never win, thai for thai--YOU are not thai.

It is very surprising that there are plans to reopen Chiang Mai. I live here and find it totally boring. Almost all sights are closed, including those outdoors, even relaxing on deserted reservoirs is not allowed. Bars are closed, restaurants do not serve alcohol, and pool games are not possible. The nightlife takes place on the sidewalk. I usually sit at home, sometimes friends come to visit. Open for what? Welcome

Just now, Conrado said:

It is very surprising that there are plans to reopen Chiang Mai. I live here and find it totally boring. Almost all sights are closed, including those outdoors, even relaxing on deserted reservoirs is not allowed. Bars are closed, restaurants do not serve alcohol, and pool games are not possible. The nightlife takes place on the sidewalk. I usually sit at home, sometimes friends come to visit. Open for what? Welcome

I agree, but even if more was open and it might be nicer to visit, for heath reasons (spreading the virus to the unvaccinated) it should wait.

6 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I agree, but even if more was open and it might be nicer to visit, for heath reasons (spreading the virus to the unvaccinated) it should wait.

Yes agree and we are coming fast up to the cold season now, and even the jabbing with the Sinocrap seems at a stand still. Way too many Bangkok cars up here now, and with that 3 Bangkok people I just read were reported to have CV-19. I see them all the time bypassing the checkpoint on the superhighway by turning off onto  the back roads with no problem. Seems not one official really cares unless it is a PR stunt. So how many more of them from Bangkok spreading the love?. Wife yesterday just said there was a new large cluster outbreak in Saraphi and from other reports from markets to kids from certain schools it is just about bouncing around everywhere. We just don't hear about it. 

Oh yeah, let's open up CM. Seriously it is wide open already. What a farce.

18 hours ago, Thaired said:

A tourist tax???? How much more nonsense can this government dream up? So, on top of the ridiculous testing and quarantine costs tourists must absorb, now they want to add more cost? Tourists aren't coming here in any worthwhile numbers until the bars, clubs and nightlife are opened up anyway, so this is just anotger reason to avoid Thailand. Hardly a welcome hand being extended, but rather one to extract even more money!

Maybe they should add a tax on bars, clubs ,and nightlife, instead of arrivals. Makes sense to me. Sort of a super sin tax.

9 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Maybe they should add a tax on bars, clubs ,and nightlife, instead of arrivals. Makes sense to me. Sort of a super sin tax.

Much easier to collect at source. Not as lucrative but much easier.

Oh woe, another tenner! Thats almost three Changs!! I'll die of sobriety.

8 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Problem with this ฿500 is only ฿100 will eventually get to its project it was meant for

You seem way too optimistic today 😉

Jay and Tim..... The "street smart guy" and "the old fart" (don't castigate me Tim...I'm an old fart too). Product placement.....ok ok...I'll buy Coffee Culture when I'm in Thailand!!!! And yes...I bought the 2 baht traincoat when I was there too!! I had dry clothes but wet feet!!!