News Forum - All countries now eligible for Thailand’s sandbox programme

Thaiger

1 minute ago, Malc-Thai said:

Yes mine too.. living here amongst it and only today my second vaccine! Many people here don't want the vaccine.. many thais have come here to work and domestic visitors have different requirements of 2 vaccine then pcr or antigen test up to 7 days old and no check after arrival..  if covids coming it's not from tourist's abroad . They get caught in testing after arrival.... sadly I think  its going to open with or without the required vaccinated numbers needed! 

I think you're right. And your situation is bad enough, but a lot better than up North where vaccination is lagging behind, because the focus has been (and still is) elsewhere.

Everyone hopes the damage will be limited. But with the way figures are thrown around, the situation is bound to be worse than they would ever admit to.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Maybe green blubber curry will attract the Eskimo's

Imitation Tofu blubber curry. And if the Eskimos bring their wives then there might be a lot of expats running to make best friends with them.

• Haha 1

Unbelievable TAT, you really could not have mismanaged this more than if you intended too.

You have managed to ensure that all sensible and highly vaccinated countries will keep Thailand on their Red list. The U.K. have today refreshed their colour system, so that there is only a Red list, no more Green or Amber and despite the improving situation, with both your falling infection and death rate numbers. Yes you remain on the Red list.

You would have done far better and attracted far more economic income by dropping the hoops for highly vaccinated countries, whilst keeping things as safe as possible in this current environment. Instead you open the doors to heavily infected countries with low vaccination rates. This will undoubtedly both, further endanger your population and send a clear massage to those countries with the highest vaccinated levels and investors. “Holiday elsewhere” - “Invest elsewhere”.

It really would not surprise me in the least, if we don’t see another wave in Thailand soon and possibly even another variant as you mix Red countries together. Looking more like 2023 before your economy will even start to recover with the way you continue to mismanage this situation.

it beggars belief. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BBY said:

Unbelievable TAT, you really could not have mismanaged this more than if you intended too.

Give them time, there's always tomorrow 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

5 hours ago, Poolie said:

Yes of course they will. Thaiger Talk is known throughout Government as the font of all knowledge. Its most remiss of them not to have it on permanently all day.

Well Anutin doesn’t meet with doctors weeks prior to his announcements of opening up. 

We’re no different!

Edited by Faz
Sarcasm removed

17 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

Well Anutin doesn’t meet with doctors weeks prior to his announcements of opening up. 

We’re no different!

Personal Disclaimer: This is just my interpretation from a news report about Anutin meeting with major restaurant executives prior to his announcement of opening up restaurants. I do not know if this in fact a fact. 

He may very well do, we dont know, we aren't privy those secrets.

Consequently we're very different. To the point of ignorance. We know nowt.

12 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Thai government has got rid of its list of “approved countries”, opening up the sandbox tourism programme to fully vaccinated visitors from anywhere in the world. According to a Bangkok Post report, the Tourism Authority of Thailand has welcomed the move, which means Indonesian and Malaysian tourists can now visit the kingdom. Prior to Covid-19, Malaysia was Thailand’s second biggest source of foreign arrivals, with over 4 million Malaysian tourists arriving in 2019. In other positive news, the recently-announced reduction in mandatory quarantine also applies to those participating in sandbox programmes, with tourists now only required to spend 7 […]

The post All countries now eligible for Thailand’s sandbox programme appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Hi all, can someone help clarify this for me please - from November 1st if I fly straight into Krabi and plan to quarantine in the province for 7 nights, can I then travel to both areas (railay and phi phi) within those 7 nights or do I have to stay in one single place for the full 7 nights? Thanks 

Hi Everyone,

I am in a bit of a bind trying to figure out what the rules are to enter the Phuket sandbox at this point in time.

I am clear on most of it but primarily have a concern around the following

"Travelers must travel from countries/territories in the list as announced by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). They must be staying in the said countries/territories no less than 21 days before the travel date. Thai and foreign nationals with residence in Thailand are exempted from this 21 days requirement."

This taken from the official sandbox site (https://www.phuket-sandbox.com/guidelines)

I am flying from Toronto, Canada. I am hoping to fly from Toronto to Abu Dhabi, spent 3 or 4 nights in Abu Dhabi, and then fly direct from Abi Dhabi to Phuket.

Does this violate the rule above? I've seen multiple interpretations of this rule. My interpretation of this rule is that there are 78 "safe/green list" countries designated by the TAT. I had thought that so long as I had not been to any country outside of that list in the last 21 days, I would be okay enter.

However, upon communicating with a hotel in Phuket about the SHABA certificate needed to get the COE, they're telling me that I have to come from Canada without entering any other country. I can transit, because I have to (very few places fly direct to Phuket) but I cannot enter any country on the way to the sandbox.

I've contacted everybody I can, hotels in Phuket, Thai Embassy in Canada, Thai tour guides, you name it, but no one can give me a clear answer on this.

Given that your hotel pre-payment (in full) to the SHA hotel in the Phuket Sandbox is non-refundable (this point everyone seems to agree on) I have an awful lot riding on this one rule and interpretations of it.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Even anecdotal evidence? For those of you who have entered the sandbox program, were you asked by anyone about this at any point including during the COE application process?

Really just grasping at straws here.

Thanks so much

2 hours ago, jfacowns said:

Hi Everyone,

I am in a bit of a bind trying to figure out what the rules are to enter the Phuket sandbox at this point in time.

I am clear on most of it but primarily have a concern around the following

"Travelers must travel from countries/territories in the list as announced by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). They must be staying in the said countries/territories no less than 21 days before the travel date. Thai and foreign nationals with residence in Thailand are exempted from this 21 days requirement."

This taken from the official sandbox site (https://www.phuket-sandbox.com/guidelines)

I am flying from Toronto, Canada. I am hoping to fly from Toronto to Abu Dhabi, spent 3 or 4 nights in Abu Dhabi, and then fly direct from Abi Dhabi to Phuket.

Does this violate the rule above? I've seen multiple interpretations of this rule. My interpretation of this rule is that there are 78 "safe/green list" countries designated by the TAT. I had thought that so long as I had not been to any country outside of that list in the last 21 days, I would be okay enter.

However, upon communicating with a hotel in Phuket about the SHABA certificate needed to get the COE, they're telling me that I have to come from Canada without entering any other country. I can transit, because I have to (very few places fly direct to Phuket) but I cannot enter any country on the way to the sandbox.

I've contacted everybody I can, hotels in Phuket, Thai Embassy in Canada, Thai tour guides, you name it, but no one can give me a clear answer on this.

Given that your hotel pre-payment (in full) to the SHA hotel in the Phuket Sandbox is non-refundable (this point everyone seems to agree on) I have an awful lot riding on this one rule and interpretations of it.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Even anecdotal evidence? For those of you who have entered the sandbox program, were you asked by anyone about this at any point including during the COE application process?

Really just grasping at straws here.

Thanks so much

That Phuket-Sandbox info is over three months old and out of date. TAT is silent on the subject in their October 1 Sandbox update. https://www.tatnews.org/2021/10/phuket-sandbox/ However, speaking from recent experience, I think you're going to get hung up when you try and get your COE. The application process asks for initial departure date and transit departure date. Elsewhere, (and I wish I could remember where) I've seen that the maximum permitted transit period being 24 hours. However, "all countries can now enter Thailand" may very well mean that the 21-day requirement is off the table. Until somebody realizes that they missed this rule in the new rules then it's anybody's guess.

The question I have is, do you have to stop in AD on the way? If you stop on the way back it could make things simpler.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JamesE said:

That Phuket-Sandbox info is over three months old and out of date. TAT is silent on the subject in their October 1 Sandbox update. https://www.tatnews.org/2021/10/phuket-sandbox/ However, speaking from recent experience, I think you're going to get hung up when you try and get your COE. The application process asks for initial departure date and transit departure date. Elsewhere, (and I wish I could remember where) I've seen that the maximum permitted transit period being 24 hours. However, "all countries can now enter Thailand" may very well mean that the 21-day requirement is off the table. Until somebody realizes that they missed this rule in the new rules then it's anybody's guess.

The question I have is, do you have to stop in AD on the way? If you stop on the way back it could make things simpler.

I don't have to stop in Abu Dhabi at all, it's just "on the way" with the flights I could find and I wouldn't mind spending some time there. It's also one of the few places with direct flights into Phuket. 

Thanks so much for your response detailing your experience. This was the best reply I've received from anyone, including the embassy! 

If I were to get hung up with my itinerary and flights the way they are right now, do you think it would be at the COE process? 

My nightmare is pre-paying for hotels in Phuket and Bangkok (both apparently non-refundable so long as my COE is approved), flying from Toronto-Abu Dhabi, boarding the plane in Abu Dhabi, getting off in Phuket and then being denied entry. Now I find myself out several thousand dollars and trying to find a way out of Phuket, if i even could. Maybe I'd be forced into a government quarantine facility. 

I'm frantically searching for better flights right now where we will only transit any airport on the way to Phuket without entering a 3rd country

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jfacowns said:

I don't have to stop in Abu Dhabi at all, it's just "on the way" with the flights I could find and I wouldn't mind spending some time there. It's also one of the few places with direct flights into Phuket. 

Thanks so much for your response detailing your experience. This was the best reply I've received from anyone, including the embassy! 

If I were to get hung up with my itinerary and flights the way they are right now, do you think it would be at the COE process? 

My nightmare is pre-paying for hotels in Phuket and Bangkok (both apparently non-refundable so long as my COE is approved), flying from Toronto-Abu Dhabi, boarding the plane in Abu Dhabi, getting off in Phuket and then being denied entry. Now I find myself out several thousand dollars and trying to find a way out of Phuket, if i even could. Maybe I'd be forced into a government quarantine facility. 

I'm frantically searching for better flights right now where we will only transit any airport on the way to Phuket without entering a 3rd country

If there's a problem with your flight it will show up at the COE process, but not until the second part. First part is personal details and plans leading to pre-approval. Second part is sending in the proof of paid tickets/reservations/tests. Basically you can't find out if you're screwed until you actually are. But once your COE is approved, you'll be allowed to enter. If you're going into Thailand Visa Exempt, then there's no other considerations, but - as I found out - if you're entering on a visa, you'll have to have your flights booked and at least have decided on a hotel prior to applying for the visa. Most airlines will allow free changes right now, maybe just reschedule? Good luck.

10 hours ago, jfacowns said:

I'll just add to what @JamesE has contributed.
Entry to Thailand now appears to be based on 'vaccinated' or 'unvaccinated' regardless of Country, however I haven't seen any changes to the requirement that you must be arriving from a Country where you've previously resided for at least 21 days before travel to Phuket.

Transiting, you remain 'airside' so technically haven't entered another Country.

The other problem with your proposed plan is that your PCR test obtained in Toronto will certainly have expired for the second leg of your trip (valid 72 hours from issue), so you'd need to arrange a second PCR test in Abu Dhabi before taking an onward flight several days later.

I don't think anyone can give a definitive answer to your question, or at best you'll get different answers due to the fact the requirements were based on direct entries, albeit with a 'transit' change of flight.

What are the entry requirements to enter Abu Dhabi from Canada?

• Like 1

Wow jumping around daily to another. The message is that they have no plan and no competence. The hub of daily changes. The problem is if they have no plan it is difficult for anybody to plan because tomorrow they may jump to another.

10 hours ago, Faz said:

I'll just add to what @JamesE has contributed.
Entry to Thailand now appears to be based on 'vaccinated' or 'unvaccinated' regardless of Country, however I haven't seen any changes to the requirement that you must be arriving from a Country where you've previously resided for at least 21 days before travel to Phuket.

Transiting, you remain 'airside' so technically haven't entered another Country.

The other problem with your proposed plan is that your PCR test obtained in Toronto will certainly have expired for the second leg of your trip (valid 72 hours from issue), so you'd need to arrange a second PCR test in Abu Dhabi before taking an onward flight several days later.

I don't think anyone can give a definitive answer to your question, or at best you'll get different answers due to the fact the requirements were based on direct entries, albeit with a 'transit' change of flight.

What are the entry requirements to enter Abu Dhabi from Canada?

No issues entering Abu Dhabi from Canada as long as you have a test and are fully vaccinated. I was intending to take another test in Abu Dhabi to be used for entering the sandbox, so I know I would have had to do that. This all seems moot now sadly. I don't want to run the risk of being denied a COE, being denied boarding, or being turned away at the Phuket airport so I'm looking for better flights. 

On 10/5/2021 at 7:19 PM, jfacowns said:

Why are you not able to book an SHA+ hotel on a site such as Booking.com? Many of those allow free cancellation up to 24/48 hours before your arrival date. It’s a confirmed booking that will allow you to gain the COE. If for some reason the COE is rejected then you can cancel your hotel free of charge and book again. The same goes if you fly with Etihad who allow free changes to travel dates if you book direct with Etihad via Abu Dhabi.

21 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Why are you not able to book an SHA+ hotel on a site such as Booking.com? Many of those allow free cancellation up to 24/48 hours before your arrival date. It’s a confirmed booking that will allow you to gain the COE. If for some reason the COE is rejected then you can cancel your hotel free of charge and book again. The same goes if you fly with Etihad who allow free changes to travel dates if you book direct with Etihad via Abu Dhabi.

Typically has to be pre-paid. The booking services take your money and hold it until a day or two before arrival. The SHABA confirmation is issued by the hotel once they have the money. All hotels will allow changes to your itinerary and refunds. The refunds are usually issued with the caveat that they only happen with COE rejection or Sandbox cancellation. That being said there are a few reports online that some Agoda bookings are pay later so it's possible. Just looking at Agoda - there were 7 properties showing up (out of about 1,700) that featured "free cancellation".

Edited by JamesE
two two words together

39 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Typically has to be pre-paid. The booking services take your money and hold it until a day or two before arrival. The SHABA confirmation is issued by the hotel once they have the money. All hotels will allow changes to your itinerary and refunds. The refunds are usually issued with the caveat that they only happen with COE rejection or Sandbox cancellation. That being said there are a few reports online that some Agoda bookings are pay later so it's possible. Just looking at Agoda - there were 7 properties showing up (out of about 1,700) that featured "free cancellation".

Can you explain a little more on this @JamesE please? I has assumed that a confirmed booking is a confirmed booking? Agoda and booking.com have many accredited SHA+ hotels offering free cancellation. It seems I’m misunderstanding what is regarded as “confirmed” as part of the COE process?

Using the links on the London Thai Embassy COE page linked to Agoda shows at least 10 hotels with free cancellation. The cancellation policy seem to be no less than 7 days prior to arrival as shown below. 

Many SHA+ hotels on booking.com are saying no payment required or pay on arrival. 

What am I missing in terms of showing a confirmed booking as part of the COE process? Are you saying that unless payment has been received in full (despite the cancellation policy of the hotel) that they won’t issue this on the SHABA system and hence you will not be able to receive the SHABA Authenticator confirmation certificate required for the COE process?  

Thanks

94DB489F-6371-4645-9582-6913ACF39A82.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Can you explain a little more on this @JamesE please? I has assumed that a confirmed booking is a confirmed booking? Agoda and booking.com have many accredited SHA+ hotels offering free cancellation. It seems I’m misunderstanding what is regarded as “confirmed” as part of the COE process?

Using the links on the London Thai Embassy COE page linked to Agoda shows at least 10 hotels with free cancellation. The cancellation policy seem to be no less than 7 days prior to arrival as shown below. 

Many SHA+ hotels on booking.com are saying no payment required or pay on arrival. 

What am I missing in terms of showing a confirmed booking as part of the COE process, 

Thanks

94DB489F-6371-4645-9582-6913ACF39A82.jpeg

There's two things. First the COE requirements are for prepaid, either AQ or SHA+: "After application has been pre-approved, the applicant should buy air ticket and book an Alternative Quarantine (AQ) or book a SHA+ accommodation if the applicant apply for Sandbox Programme.

Please upload proof of payment for AQ or AQ booking confirmation or pre-paid SHA+ accommodation booking into the system within 15 days after application has been pre-approved."

Second, "Free cancellation" does not mean you don't pay. It just means that you get all your money back if you cancel. There are no "pay later" or "pay at the hotel" options available.

So, while it sounds good, given that you have to pay for a flight (which you may be able to cancel), and you have to pay for your COVID tests (which you may be able to cancel), you also have to pay for the hotel, even though you can cancel it if you want. It seems like an awful lot of hassle to go through if you're even thinking about cancelling and then having to wait who knows how long to get your money back.

Plus you'll get a much better rate going straight to the hotel. The place I'm booked at is listed on Agoda at ฿2,648/night for the 7 day package with breakfast. I booked with the hotel and got ฿1,500. There's just not a lot of reasons to use a 3rd party booking site right now.

Edited by JamesE

2 minutes ago, JamesE said:

There's two things. First the COE requirements are for prepaid, either AQ or SHA+: "After application has been pre-approved, the applicant should buy air ticket and book an Alternative Quarantine (AQ) or book a SHA+ accommodation if the applicant apply for Sandbox Programme.

Please upload proof of payment for AQ or AQ booking confirmation or pre-paid SHA+ accommodation booking into the system within 15 days after application has been pre-approved."

Second, "Free cancellation" does not mean you don't pay. It just means that you get all your money back if you cancel. There are no "pay later" or "pay at the hotel" options available.

So, while it sounds good, given that you have to pay for a flight (which you may be able to cancel), and you have to pay for your COVID tests (which you may be able to cancel), you also have to pay for the hotel, even though you can cancel it if you want. It seems like an awful lot of hassle to go through if you're even thinking about cancelling and then having to wait who knows how long to get your money back.

Plus you'll get a much better rate going straight to the hotel. The place I'm booked at is listed at ฿2,648/night for the 7 day package with breakfast. I booked with the hotel and got ฿1,500. There's just not a lot of reasons to use a 3rd party booking site right now.

That’s very helpful. Thank you 👍🏻

20 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Plus you'll get a much better rate going straight to the hotel. The place I'm booked at is listed on Agoda at ฿2,648/night for the 7 day package with breakfast. I booked with the hotel and got ฿1,500. There's just not a lot of reasons to use a 3rd party booking site right now.

These online booking companies all have their own rules, Booking.com did used to have that option "Pay on Arrival" or  "Pay Later" the pay later option only applied if your booking was more than 30 days in advance then they would invoice you to pay in full, The pay on arrival was a stupid idea in my eyes the No Show rate was huge, what created that was booking.com allowed any guest to actually book 3 or 4 places at once then make their mind up at last minute which one to book, was not good for the host as your calendar been showing a booking for them dates, sometimes as a host you would not know if the guest would arrive or not,

As a guest booking on one of the sites your money is held by them ie, Agoda they do not transfer your money at least 24 hours after your arrival, any refunds would come from Agoda Im not to familiar with their refund policy, but with Airbnb their refund policy is paid within 24 hours.

As a host you can set your own refund policy, on booking.com you can set it to no refund on airbnb you cannot set to no refund only 7 days before arrival no refund,

Another thing I noticed with these hotels that are SHA+ you are not supposed to be able to book through their web sites, How I know is we own an apartment in a Condotel part hotel and part condo's which is SHA+ registered when I looked on their site to see what prices they are charging I noticed you couldn't book direct with them no more,

• Like 1