Jump to content

News Forum - Thailand to charge foreign arrivals 500 baht “tourism fee” from next year


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

An extra 200 undred baht, what's tha thinking about Thailand.

A remember when a cud buy fish and chips, a can of pop and still ave change from fifty baht wen a was a lad, a used to live in street in a paper bag and think a was lucky for avin that.

Me dad used to kick my arse every neet and rob me of my fifty baht and a used to thank Im for it.

Now t'Thai guverment want an extra two undred baht from me just to go and see em.

A don't know wot the world is cumming to these day, it wont like that wen a was a lad, but now a can drink Shatto la Chassier and fink nowt of it.

OOwd af thought it eh?

(Monty Python)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

An extra 200 undred baht, what's tha thinking about Thailand.

A remember when a cud buy fish and chips, a can of pop and still ave change from fifty baht wen a was a lad, a used to live in street in a paper bag and think a was lucky for avin that.

Me dad used to kick my arse every neet and rob me of my fifty baht and a used to thank Im for it.

Now t'Thai guverment want an extra two undred baht from me just to go and see em.

A don't know wot the world is cumming to these day, it wont like that wen a was a lad, but now a can drink Shatto la Chassier and fink nowt of it.

OOwd af thought it eh?

(Monty Python)

I can imagine our members for whom English is not their first language being utterly confused by all that 😂. I on the other hand, being of true Lancastrian decent, read it all without a hiccup 👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I can imagine our members for whom English is not their first language being utterly confused by all that 😂. I on the other hand, being of true Lancastrian decent, read it all without a hiccup 👍🏻

My dad was from Lancashire and my Mum from Yorkshire but I left when I was 15 so my accent disappeared. 
 

My comment was based on the Monty python sketch “the four Yorkshire men”  

Still funny to this day. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, JamesR said:

My dad was from Lancashire and my Mum from Yorkshire but I left when I was 15 so my accent disappeared. 
 

My comment was based on the Monty python sketch “the four Yorkshire men”  

Still funny to this day. 🤣

Agreed. Pure comic genius 👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Agreed. Pure comic genius 👍🏻

You will like this one too.

We went from Yorkshire to Lancashire to visit my uncle,I would have been about ten and my brother five.

The uncle was a bit of a miser and so half and hour after he had fed us both my brother was still hungry so he said "I am starved", the uncle said in a natural way, "If thas starved lad, put some more coil(coal) on't fire".

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2021 at 10:46 AM, Jetboy said:

If the objective of TAT and the Thai government is to attract tourists, wealthy or otherwise, this will have completely the opposite effect. The individual from TAT who is “pretty confident tourists won’t mind paying it” is very much mistaken. To say that it won’t have an impact on tourists “as we want to focus on the quality market” is a slap in the face to the majority of tourists who come to Thailand and spend considerable amounts of money. It is not the amount of the fee, it is the principle of the thing. Wealthy tourists are even more likely to resent paying the fee, they don’t throw money away.

Also likely to deter tourists from visiting Thailand is the drive to cancel out entertainment, such as the B.L.U.E. initiative in Pattaya. What are they thinking of? People like to be entertained, think of it what you like, but the entertainment industry in Thailand generated huge revenue. Tourists and visitors do not like to be dictated to as to what they should do. Freedom of choice is absolutely essential.

The “tourism fee” seems to ill conceived initiative from the authorities which is likely to have unintended and undesirable consequences. Also, it is questionable whether, or not, the revenue from the fees will end up where it’s supposed to.

 

 

A tourist from Europe or America pays about $1000 for a airline ticket a extra B500 ($15)won't be noticed. If it were Thailand probably is best off without them. Fees to  other countries are higher. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 10/8/2021 at 5:43 AM, LoongFred said:

A tourist from Europe or America pays about $1000 for a airline ticket a extra B500 ($15)won't be noticed. If it were Thailand probably is best off without them. Fees to  other countries are higher. 

Let me put my hand in your pocket and take $1, now I don't care how well off you are I bet you don't like what just happened.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Thaiger 

Friday, January 15, 2021 

Thailand’s Tourism Minister, Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, who’s expecting around 10 million people to visit Thailand this year, says the fee will ensure anyone who gets sick or is injured can receive medical treatment. According to a report in the Bangkok Post, 34 baht of the 300 baht fee will go towards insurance coverage.

2018 Thailand had 38.2 million visitors, 2019 39.8 million visitors and covid dented that number.

If this tax of 34 baht had been applied to these figures 2018 then 1,298,800,000 baht would have been collected.  2019 would have collected 1,353,200,000.

Why are they bleating about some 300,000,000 baht tourists have left them out of pocket.

10 million tourists recoup this money, but they use this as an excuse to demand covid and other insurance.

Appears they want foreigners to pay for their health system and then charge foreigners to use it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, palooka said:

Appears they want foreigners to pay for their health system and then charge foreigners to use it.

you mean overcharge right, like 4x as much. That sound's right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another hare-brained idea.The amount itself is not the issue, but its the psychology behind it.Even if only 1% are deterred by it, you lose more than you gain.Scrap this stupid tourist tax.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

It's not that long ago when there was a tax of around 500 bt, entry or exit I can't remember. I had thought it had been put into the cost of the airline ticket tax charges, hence saving a bundle of paper filling at the airport and no doubt countless numbers of paper pushers jobs. 500 bt is not going to stop me coming over every year but mind boggling senseless and over complicated visa requirements and even more paper pushing needs certainly dampens my enthusiasm. There must be oodles of retirees wanting to come for 2 to 4 months every winter and spend their pensions, yet year on year it seams ever more complex to get here. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Golfer said:

It's not that long ago when there was a tax of around 500 bt, entry or exit I can't remember. I had thought it had been put into the cost of the airline ticket tax charges, hence saving a bundle of paper filling at the airport and no doubt countless numbers of paper pushers jobs. 500 bt is not going to stop me coming over every year but mind boggling senseless and over complicated visa requirements and even more paper pushing needs certainly dampens my enthusiasm. There must be oodles of retirees wanting to come for 2 to 4 months every winter and spend their pensions, yet year on year it seams ever more complex to get here. 

Years ago at Don Muang was the 500 bht departure tax. Was weird paying money on the way out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 500 is now, for a long time, 700.

And in the ticket prices, so no one sees them any longer.

That will be the same with this 300, opsi, now 500(?) Entrance fine, eh, fee.

Aside the fact, that airlines still could and have offered 1000 baht flights to neigbouring countries, I really dont see a thousand baht (both fines together ;-) as obstacle for tourists.

And: In the west, governments are placing whatever taxes on ticket prices, in my eyes they just not call them departure or entry tax

Edited by Guest1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

The 500 is now, for a long time, 700.

And in the ticket prices, so no one sees them any longer.

That will be the same with this 300, opsi, now 500(?) Entrance fine, eh, fee.

Aside the fact, that airlines still could and have offered 1000 baht flights to neigbouring countries, I really dont see a thousand baht (both fines together ;-) as obstacle for tourists.

And: In the west, governments are placing whatever taxes on ticket prices, in my eyes they just not call them departure or entry tax

Exactly 

Many times the taxes are as much as the actual airline ticket cost

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 11:07 PM, Bob20 said:

Because everyone seems to think that here it's not going to be used for the purpose that it's launched for...

This world is full of those who get on and enjoy life and those who are constant complainers.  One group is relatively happy while the other is miserable.  Make your choice to he happy or miserable.  Up to you

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, LoongFred said:

This world is full of those who get on and enjoy life and those who are constant complainers.  One group is relatively happy while the other is miserable.  Make your choice to he happy or miserable.  Up to you

Hey 

That's my line 555

 

But honestly 

Could you imagine getting worked up over 300-500 baht

The amount of energy a person puts in to get so worked up over 10cad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

500 Baht??

what is it with these policies and rules for tourists??

why charge the tourists for your inadequate problems?

Other countries concentrate on infrastructure projects & spend their own Tax revenues on building attractions and projects?

They seem like a losing Gambler in a Casino, trying to catch up on lost revenue?

only to see the gambler to continue with his losses??

Get over it Thailand!

Build on d we hat you have!

Trying to get rich tourist’s is not going to help you either!

Are they going to buy food from street vendors?

No!

They stay in their 5 star Hotels and the profit goes to Chinese and American conglomerate Hotel chains?

Go back to the Middle Class tourist , who spends his money in markets and buys street food !

Visits attractions and helps support the local community in making a buck???

Rich tourists do not help your local economy?

Most rich Tourists would rather go to Hawaii or French Riviera to stay in Ritzy Hotels !!

Getting  High rollers are not your bread and butter and never have been!

People travel to new and exiting places that they find are good value for money and cheaper than their own countries !

Middle class tourists are now looking elsewhere than Thailand as the prices are rising and they are looking for beaches that offer better value than Thailand trying to cater for the 🤑 

This New Tax will further turn tourists away!

Budget travellers want Budget Airlines and if you don’t have Budget airlines then you won’t survive!

Rich Tourists from Saudi Arabia?

Really??

They won’t help your struggling people?

They will support Luxury Hotel chains and already rich people!

This way of thinking will only serve to create more poverty in the Thai beach communities!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Grant said:

500 Baht??

what is it with these policies and rules for tourists??

why charge the tourists for your inadequate problems?

Other countries concentrate on infrastructure projects & spend their own Tax revenues on building attractions and projects?

They seem like a losing Gambler in a Casino, trying to catch up on lost revenue?

only to see the gambler to continue with his losses??

Get over it Thailand!

Build on d we hat you have!

Trying to get rich tourist’s is not going to help you either!

Are they going to buy food from street vendors?

No!

They stay in their 5 star Hotels and the profit goes to Chinese and American conglomerate Hotel chains?

Go back to the Middle Class tourist , who spends his money in markets and buys street food !

Visits attractions and helps support the local community in making a buck???

Rich tourists do not help your local economy?

Most rich Tourists would rather go to Hawaii or French Riviera to stay in Ritzy Hotels !!

Getting  High rollers are not your bread and butter and never have been!

People travel to new and exiting places that they find are good value for money and cheaper than their own countries !

Middle class tourists are now looking elsewhere than Thailand as the prices are rising and they are looking for beaches that offer better value than Thailand trying to cater for the 🤑 

This New Tax will further turn tourists away!

Budget travellers want Budget Airlines and if you don’t have Budget airlines then you won’t survive!

Rich Tourists from Saudi Arabia?

Really??

They won’t help your struggling people?

They will support Luxury Hotel chains and already rich people!

This way of thinking will only serve to create more poverty in the Thai beach communities!

Spot on comments there. There is nothing anyone in their right mind could disagree with. So I hope you are prepared for lots of disagreements from the usual cohort. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I welcome this and all other "cheap charlie" barriers. 

I hear Mexico is quite nice.

Have a taco, muchachos.

¡Andelé cabrones! 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

Spot on comments there. There is nothing anyone in their right mind could disagree with. So I hope you are prepared for lots of disagreements from the usual cohort. 

So you disagree. I suppose that begpackers and low end tourists are better? Thailand wants those that can take personal responsibility for their actions and not be a burden on others.  Low end and the begpackers contribute little and corrupt Thai values. Thais look at these people with disgust and can't understand why people from richer countries act like they do. 

The focus on quality is a positive thing and will be self generating. Many better off tourists don't want to go places that low-quality tourists go.  It's not that they feel better or are snobs, as it disgust for those who intentionally take advantage of others. I disagree with you because I believe that Thailand is on the right tract discouraging the begpacker/ low budget mooch travelers. Those who can pay their way and contribute (not all are rich) should be welcomed. 

Likewise those who only come to stay at a low end hotel or guest house and get drunk with their pals, with an occasional hooked add zero.

Maybe there should be a financial screening for visas or at least show the cash on arrival.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2022 at 9:59 PM, Soidog said:

Spot on comments there. There is nothing anyone in their right mind could disagree with. So I hope you are prepared for lots of disagreements from the usual cohort. 

Very few valued tourists would complain about 500 baht fee. Except low enders or begpackers. In that case the fee should be higher as to discourage undesirables.

What I would call middle class tourist would probably be high end for those in UK or EU.  So when you say "middle class " you must be referring to Non professional workers that live paycheck to paycheck. I was one of them when I started but worked hard to get more. 

Those who can afford to visit Thailand will be very welcoming . These visitors need to have personal responsibility for what happens to them and not rely on Thai people to pay for their emergency situations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Arrival and departure taxes are already included in the price of airline tickets. This is a brand new tax being collected on arrival, designed simply to take your money. There will likely never be a public accounting of where this money goes. And it will likely improve nothing noteworthy, and will certainly not make the increasingly prohibitive insurance requirements already in place any less onerous. 300, 500, just make it 1000 baht... It's a money grab plain and simple, and it's embarrassing. The barriers to entry just keep going up, yet they wonder why tourist are being increasingly turned off to THA. Btw, rich tourist don't come to THA as a first or second choice. There are way more exclusive options available to them elsewhere. The beaches here are increasingly polluted with disgusting refuge that washes ashore daily. It's sad to see. And it certainly doesn't spell exclusivity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use