News Forum - Thailand to charge foreign arrivals 500 baht “tourism fee” from next year

Thaiger

19 minutes ago, FamousJerry said:

When i flew back from thailand in march here are all the fees and taxes i paid. Korea has a fee as well as thailand and usa. They all get ya coming and going. :-) Not only thailand that screws with extra fees. Check all your flight receipts and you will see. I fly over 250,000 miles a year and hit over 15 countries usually and they all have fees in your flight tickets. Its just most of us never look.  :-)

I like the gate fee, like how else can i get on my plane that using a gate at the airport :-)

description amount currency
Korea; Republic of - PSC, Departure Tax and Contribution to International Poverty Eradication (BP) ฿275.00 THB
E7 (Gate access fee) ฿35.00 THB
G8 (Gate access fee) ฿15.00 THB
Thailand - Passenger Service Charge (TS) ฿700.00 THB
United States - Transportation Tax (US) ฿580.00 THB
United States - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Fee (APHIS User Fee - Passengers (XA) ฿120.00 THB
United States - Immigration and Naturalization Fee(Immigration User Fee) (XY) ฿215.00 THB
United States - Custom User Fee (YC) ฿185.00 THB

Come on FJ

How are people supposed to bitch and moan about Thailand if you post sensible facts????

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Only in Thailand.🤔

It's literally not "only in Thailand"

There are tourist tax/fees in pretty much every country in the world

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Come on FJ

How are people supposed to bitch and moan about Thailand if you post sensible facts????

Im not saying Thailand is perfect LOL its far from it. I think one of my points is lots of countries have similar fees but they dont make announcements of them and draw attention to them LOL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Come on FJ

Sorry but I think you are missing the point yet again about complaints regarding Thailand. It’s not that they charge airport fees or even a tourism entry or exit fee. Many countries do such a thing. It’s the fact that they are deciding to increase this at a time when they should be removing barriers and making tourists feel welcome, rather than the opposite. And before we get the “it’s only 500 baht blah blah”. Some people see the principle of what is happening and has nothing to do with amount. People would still regard it as a stupid thing to do if it was 5 baht or 50 baht. Please try to see what is really behind the comments or “bitch”as you prefer to call it. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It’s the fact that they are deciding to increase this at a time when they should be removing barriers and making tourists feel welcome, rather than the opposite.

Which continues to reinforce my argument that they really are trying to make the country less dependent on tourism. Despite all the pie-in-the-sky rhetoric, their actions are screaming "Stay away". But they can't just come out and say this.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

It's literally not "only in Thailand"

There are tourist tax/fees in pretty much every country in the world

And becoming worse during the covid era the world over.

What we might be aware of that all these "extras" will be permanent - 

Covid was/is an easy excuse to justify most everything.

20 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Which continues to reinforce my argument that they really are trying to make the country less dependent on tourism. Despite all the pie-in-the-sky rhetoric, their actions are screaming "Stay away". But they can't just come out and say this.

I envision a Thailand that will direct it's way away from the deluded ideal of tourism dependency. 

Just right around the corner. 

43 minutes ago, Rain said:

I envision a Thailand that will direct it's way away from the deluded ideal of tourism dependency. 

Just right around the corner. 

Wouldn't it be nice, but with a military led regime who simply want easy money ?  I can't see it happening somehow.

10 minutes ago, gummy said:

Wouldn't it be nice, but with a military led regime who simply want easy money ?  I can't see it happening somehow.

But the large neighbor to the north has demonstrated that to maintain a less-than-ideal democracy you simply prevent foreign ideas from making their way in. Best way to do that is to keep out most of the foreigners. And keep an eye on the ones you let in. Thailand Plus, anyone? Mor Chana?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FamousJerry said:

Im not saying Thailand is perfect LOL its far from it. I think one of my points is lots of countries have similar fees but they dont make announcements of them and draw attention to them LOL. 

At least they are open about it with the announcements. I will happily pay if there are less restrictions for vaccinated tourists going into Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Sorry but I think you are missing the point yet again about complaints regarding Thailand. It’s not that they charge airport fees or even a tourism entry or exit fee. Many countries do such a thing. It’s the fact that they are deciding to increase this at a time when they should be removing barriers and making tourists feel welcome, rather than the opposite. And before we get the “it’s only 500 baht blah blah”. Some people see the principle of what is happening and has nothing to do with amount. People would still regard it as a stupid thing to do if it was 5 baht or 50 baht. Please try to see what is really behind the comments or “bitch”as you prefer to call it. 

My point is it's 500 baht, 1200 total

That's $35usd

A lot less than some other countries charge in taxes and fees

And in line with many others 

And yes, it's just another thing that the whiners on here can complain about on here

2 hours ago, Rain said:

And becoming worse during the covid era the world over.

What we might be aware of that all these "extras" will be permanent - 

Covid was/is an easy excuse to justify most everything.

Still $35usd total

I'd advise anyone worrying about it to stay home and save up

Maybe try next year when they have more money 

Edited by Marc26

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

I get your point

And I think you always seem rational, even with your critiques 

Do I agree that is may be ill-timed ?

Well, I would if it weren't just an extra $15usd

I just can't be concerned about $15usd

I mean look at some of the comments?

"This is the nail in the coffin"

I mean, come on.....

Someone is saying that about $15usd????

That's just absurd, no matter the principle 

• Like 1

It’s another way to subsidize others here.  It’s not about building up the tourist sites.  It’s about the lack of innovation and the way people think here that as a foreigner (living or traveling here), you are an ATM.  

to support transformational projects with a focus on sustainable, high-value tourism

I agree with M26 and IMO it's not the 500bt which is completely OFF, but the BS way it's promoted ^as above^

32 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

And yes, it's just another thing that the whiners on here can complain about on here

That's certain to endear you to our community 🥴

Once the tax is included in ticket prices, every traveller whether Thai or farang, resident or tourist, will be paying the tax.  Dressing it up the way Govt and TAT have done simply adds to the negativity toward their every action and every press release.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I agree with M26 and IMO it's not the 500bt which is completely OFF, but the BS way it's promoted ^as above^

That's certain to endear you to our community 🥴

Once the tax is included in ticket prices, every traveller whether Thai or farang, resident or tourist, will be paying the tax.  Dressing it up the way Govt and TAT have done simply adds to the negativity toward their every action and every press release.

But at the end of the day

It's 500 baht we are talking about (1200 baht total)

And as someone posted

Take a look at any airline ticket in any country.

Look at all the taxes added to it

All sorts of departure taxes, airport taxes 

23 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Originally we had to pay 500 Baht 'departure tax'. Then it was added to to price of the ticket, so no one could see it. Since then it's been increased to 1,000 Baht IIRC.

700 baht so I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thailand is in for a rude awakening when TAT's figures aren't realised (as always).

Every new bump or barrier will limit more people from choosing Thailand as their holiday destination.

It's not the few baht. It's the arrogance to do it immediately after everyone has suffered and while it's already difficult enough to make it over here.

People have always gone on holiday to enjoy themselves carefree after working and saving. And after Covid I believe that is even more important. Travelers will be more selective.

My opinion.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, JamesE said:

"the extra 200 baht will be used to fund projects aimed at transforming the country’s tourism model from mass market to a more high-value, environmentally-conscious model."

To make the country more attractive to the "high-quality" tourists so desperately sought after.

I cast my mind back to 2019 when it became an issue regarding 'unpaid' foreigners hospital bills.
Thailand's answer was to impose a mandatory Health Insurance requirement for the Non O-A Visa and subsequent extensions of stay from entry of that Visa type.  🤔

Shortly thereafter and the realisation that the main 'offenders' were actually the short term 2/3 week tourists who entered with no Travel Insurance and frequently set up 'Go Fund Me' pages, the discussions then arouse of introducing a further 'entry' fee to cover shortfalls in unpaid hospital bills.

Is 'transforming the country’s tourism model' the same as 'covering shortfalls of hospital bills' ? 🙄
That was the original intention of introducing an additional entry fee.
Does anyone else recall it the way I do?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Lars said:

Wonder ii it the correct timing - if just 1% of the earlier 40mill select different destination then is it 400000 missing turists - properly placing 50000 to 75000 thb on a vacation = possible 30000 mill thb lost where potentially 40mill guests paying 500thb give 20mill thb - Pretty risky solution bringing forward in the already relative dead Thai turist market - hope somebody have used a simple calculator! Lars

The 1% who may not come are those too cheap to pay and most likely don't do much for the Thai economy,  so keeping them at bay might be beneficial.  I hope it's also at boarder crossings. 

8 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

The 1% who may not come are those too cheap to pay and most likely don't do much for the Thai economy,  so keeping them at bay might be beneficial.  I hope it's also at boarder crossings. 

It can never be "beneficial" to fend off visitors. Because however little they spend, they spend which is income for some. Plus it's bad PR. Also, Thailand is simply incomparable with say Monaco or Dubai. You're not going to get the 5000 "rich target tourists a day" and certainly not after the pandemic.

Rejecting the average tourist or backpacker will lead to extended misery for the tourism industry and more complaining later.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Come on FJ

Oh they'll bitch, moan and utter dark thoughts about coming to Thailand, whatever you do.

It drives them mad when they're wrong. They move onto the next thing wrong with Thailand. There's no shortage. They're fixated.

As with any country - anywhere - imposing a government-necessary 'incentive/development fee', I wonder just how much of this is actually going to see the light of day after receipt? How much is going to be drained in 'essential administration costs'?

• Like 1

So if they just add to airfares which sensible its going to mean thais pay as well.. i have no problem with thais paying they are flying in,but its going to p  a lot thais off

If its a queue where you have pay separately that will be a unmitigated logistical disaster never mind a public relations problem

Its reminiscent of a beer bar having less customers so putting price of beer up..muppets!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1