News Forum - Son of Gordon rape victim rebukes police for reenactment cancellation

Thaiger

Following the cancellation of the traditional re-enactment of his crimes, the son of Robert Gordon’s victim criticised the double standard of how police treated Gordon as a foreigner. The son and other relatives of the 45 year old masseuse that Gordon brutally beat and raped arrived in Khon Kaen today to support the victim, but also to observe the re-enactment and confront the perpetrator of the heinous act. The family travelled from Lopburi province while 37 year old Gordon, whose passport says he was born in Colorado in the United States, was expected to be transferred by police to Khon […]

The post Son of Gordon rape victim rebukes police for reenactment cancellation appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Gordon requested police cancel the crime reenactment, a standard procedure in Thai criminal investigations, saying that he feared for his safety, and the police obliged."

he has money. expect this to all go away. 

34 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

He claims that his use of the drug speed prompted him to go on his crime spree.

Give the hangman some speed too, and let him go beserk with the chopping ax.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paco said:

I have no idea about what 'reenactment' is

It is when the police make you walk through the motions of the crime.  Very common for the police to do this in Thailand.

Renactment - to do the actions again as originally done

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Paco said:

Did not understand this a 100%, I think this is to technical for me, since I have no idea about what 'reenactment' is

It's an opportunity to have a photoshoot at the crime scene with the criminal pointing!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This is a terrible crime and my heart goes out to the victims and their families. However, absence of re-enactments doesn't seem to be confined to foreigners; when was "Joe Ferrari" forced to participate? 

Edited by grrr
Grammar
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, atiger said:

Lowlife Americans causing trouble in Thailand.

This happens so many times.

Time to start screening single American men before they arrive because they give all foreigners a bad name.

That’s an unbelievably racist view. 

Nice profile pic btw!

Go Ahead Reaction GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If I intended to plead "not guilty" to a crime, then I would also seek to avoid the "reenactment". It is simply sensationalism and creates prejudice against the accused who has yet to receive due process. As much as this is "Thai tradition", Thais should view this as a violation of their rights. Putting this incident aside, imagine being arrested in Thailand and accused of stealing a dog. Then the Thai police want to photograph you reenacting the crime that you did not commit for all to see. In my opinion, that is problematic. I've seen these reenactments, and in every case my assumption is "they must have done it then."

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, atiger said:

Lowlife Americans causing trouble in Thailand.

This happens so many times.

Time to start screening single American men before they arrive because they give all foreigners a bad name.

How about you start talking about the UK whack job who murdered and cut up that Thai bar girl who is about to be extradited from Ibiza Spain now. How about they just take IQ tests on all foreign white males and then the ones who pass can come in.

So, yes this guy is a bad egg, but before you sling such insults please tell me what country you are from. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

If I intended to plead "not guilty" to a crime, then I would also seek to avoid the "reenactment". It is simply sensationalism and creates prejudice against the accused who has yet to receive due process. As much as this is "Thai tradition", Thais should view this as a violation of their rights. Putting this incident aside, imagine being arrested in Thailand and accused of stealing a dog. Then the Thai police want to photograph you reenacting the crime that you did not commit for all to see. In my opinion, that is problematic. I've seen these reenactments, and in every case my assumption is "they must have done it then."

We’ll maybe the top dogs think it might be bad publicity for Thailand at this time, especially when a foreign woman was just murdered in Phuket, and maybe it is true that the natives might just get this guy from the police during the re-enactment and do him in. More bad publicity, even though he would deserve it

• Like 2

Surely, Lawyers_Guns...that is the whole point; "We've collared the guilty person". Assumption of guilt and a job well done. "Due process", "violation of rights", "prejudice"...when did justice raise its ugly head? Not here, yet!

40 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

How about you start talking about the UK whack job who murdered and cut up that Thai bar girl who is about to be extradited from Ibiza Spain now. How about they just take IQ tests on all foreign white males and then the ones who pass can come in.

So, yes this guy is a bad egg, but before you sling such insults please tell me what country you are from. 

Ted Bundy and Ted Kaczynski had high IQs. Maybe banning people named "Ted" would be as effective. 

Edited by Lawyers_Guns_and_Money
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, grrr said:

This is a terrible crime and my heart goes out to the victims and their families. However, absence of re-enactments doesn't seem to be confined to foreigners; when was "Joe Ferrari" forced to participate? 

There was going to be a re-enactment with Joe Ferrari but volunteers are hard to find willing to have a plastic bag placed over their head. 

• Haha 2

The re-enactment is part of the guilty plea and accepting blame. This is done to reduce the punishment. Unlike in the west, a person pleading not guilty and found guilty will get a much higher penalty than someone that pleads guilty in Thailand.  Maybe this bloke is going to try for the 'insanity' defence due to drugs affecting his mental state - not an option in Thailand - but his lawyer happy if he try and pay him well 😏.

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

The re-enactment is part of the guilty plea and accepting blame. This is done to reduce the punishment. Unlike in the west, a person pleading not guilty and found guilty will get a much higher penalty than someone that pleads guilty in Thailand.  Maybe this bloke is going to try for the 'insanity' defence due to drugs affecting his mental state - not an option in Thailand - but his lawyer happy if he try and pay him well 😏.

Or as Wiki describes the reasons for the practice;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_reenactment#:~:text=It is claimed to help,a form of public humiliation.

10 hours ago, MrStretch said:

It is when the police make you walk through the motions of the crime.  Very common for the police to do this in Thailand.

And afterward, all staged at pointing at something or another.

Predictably comical and very Thai. 

In Thailand a lot of crimes in the past have gone un punished, due to the amount of money and number of sorry's said to the victim, if this guy has money or his family and friends send him big money this may get stopped before court and only a deportation recommendation!   Please note I said "may"

Edited by Malc-Thai

12 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Ah OK now I know thank you for clearing that up