News Forum - Crackdown on illegal firearms nets 300 guns, 51 arrests

Thaiger

In a countrywide push to get illegal firearms off the streets of Thailand, police have announced that they made 51 arrests and seized over 300 guns. The campaign to crackdown on illegal guns was initiated in response to the recent surge in crimes across Thailand that have been committed using firearms. Police reported that, along with the 300 guns they have confiscated, they had also taken into possession over 3,500 rounds of ammunition with a variety of different calibres. While they said many of the weapons seized were handguns, they did also collect some military-grade weapons. The haul of illegal […]

The post Crackdown on illegal firearms nets 300 guns, 51 arrests appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If you want to see what two very divergent approaches to the gun question, see what happens in the US and what happens in Australia. One has open access to firearms, the other doesn't. See what the per capita crime rate is like in each country. 

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

If you want to see what two very divergent approaches to the gun question, see what happens in the US and what happens in Australia. One has open access to firearms, the other doesn't. See what the per capita crime rate is like in each country. 

I actually like guns and used to own them in the US. When I visit I go see my brother and we shoot all kinds on his ranch. firearms are ok when handled properly. The thin about Thailand here is too many people have them and pull them out all the time like they are some sort of toy that makes them a big person. I would bet that Thailand is on a sort of par like the USA for how many people have guns.

53 minutes ago, Jason said:

Totally irrelevant Jason.  Australians never had the right to carry arms and there were not a lot of guns in the country when they clamped down hard on ownership.  USA has had 'gun rights' for hundreds of years. If you did not know it, guns are illegal in Thailand - and they do not keep/post accurate stats.  I would say the murder/crime rate in Thailand (using guns) is massively higher per capita than Australia (murder rate is 0.15 per 100K), and probably more like USA (Murder rate is 4.46 per 100K).  Notable that in Mexico guns are illegal and their murder rate is 16.5 per 100K.

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia

• Like 1