News Forum - Thai Cabinet Committee officially extends Special Tourist Visa

Thaiger

While the idea of extending the Special Tourist Visa in Thailand was announced recently, yesterday the Thai Cabinet Committee officially approved the extension. The plan has been in place for one year already, and will now continue until at least September 30, 2022, and is aimed at attracting well fear foreign travellers to visit Thailand spend big money while they’re here. The Special Tourist Visa allows these elite travellers to stay between 90 and 270 days – 3 to 9 months – which the Tourism Authority of Thailand has hoped would draw big spenders to pump tourism revenue into the Thai […]

The post Thai Cabinet Committee officially extends Special Tourist Visa appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If the Thai Government and Tourist Authorities had any brains (yes, I know...), they would make this kind of visa permanent and do away with the shorter 60 day tourist visa.

It is good for long-staying 'Snow Birds', people who stay 3-6 months a year to escape winter in their native countries and do nothing but spend MUCH needed cash.

It is good for the young traveler who wants to do a 'deep-dive' into Thailand and will stay for a long trip, if allowed. Further, that young traveler will like continue to visit Thailand all their lives.

It would allow young (under 50) people to essentially live in-country. Yes, I know, old posters hate the young who live here, but what harm do they do? They may/may not take employment away from locals (I don't really believe that they do), but that aspect is frankly miniscule. Yes, the occasional illegal English teacher, but who cares? Thailand desperately needs English teachers, even if they don't have a WP.

The only people who might be (slightly) harmed are the IOs and I have no sympathy for them; they collect enough in fees already, and they just piss people off. If, and I do not believe this to be true, but 'IF' fees drop too low to cover costs, then simply increase the cost of renewal from 1,900 to 2,500 Baht. Done.

Thailand needs tourists, and the focus of the government should be getting as many people as possible into the country and allowing them to stay as long as possible. Sadly, the Bureaucrats (and yes, I do mean "Bureaucrats" as a swear word) running the joint seem to think it is the opposite. Idiots.

This ain't rocket science.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

If the Thai Government and Tourist Authorities had any brains (yes, I know.....

They have 40 million tourist year before covid. Successful top 3 tourist country in the world. More than 1 billion happy tourist since 1970.

Amazing they do that, trillions of baht, millions of job, thousands of millionaire business owners, with no brain.

Amazing Thailand. 

Maybe you can send the letter and tell them they must listen to you. Because you have a brain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

If the Thai Government and Tourist Authorities had any brains (yes, I know...), they would make this kind of visa permanent and do away with the shorter 60 day tourist visa.

It is good for long-staying 'Snow Birds', people who stay 3-6 months a year to escape winter in their native countries and do nothing but spend MUCH needed cash.

It is good for the young traveler who wants to do a 'deep-dive' into Thailand and will stay for a long trip, if allowed. Further, that young traveler will like continue to visit Thailand all their lives.

It would allow young (under 50) people to essentially live in-country. Yes, I know, old posters hate the young who live here, but what harm do they do? They may/may not take employment away from locals (I don't really believe that they do), but that aspect is frankly miniscule. Yes, the occasional illegal English teacher, but who cares? Thailand desperately needs English teachers, even if they don't have a WP.

The only people who might be (slightly) harmed are the IOs and I have no sympathy for them; they collect enough in fees already, and they just piss people off. If, and I do not believe this to be true, but 'IF' fees drop too low to cover costs, then simply increase the cost of renewal from 1,900 to 2,500 Baht. Done.

Thailand needs tourists, and the focus of the government should be getting as many people as possible into the country and allowing them to stay as long as possible. Sadly, the Bureaucrats (and yes, I do mean "Bureaucrats" as a swear word) running the joint seem to think it is the opposite. Idiots.

How do they do this without attracting all the backpackers who don't contribute anything? I'm not against youth but fell strongly that everyone needs to pay their own way and add to society. 

55 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Fair points. My take on this is why introduce these visas during the Covid19 pandemic and then suddenly consider stopping it? As you said should Thailand want to revive its tourism....make the visa permanent.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Yinn said:

They have 40 million tourist year before covid. Successful top 3 tourist country in the world. More than 1 billion happy tourist since 1970.

Amazing they do that, trillions of baht, millions of job, thousands of millionaire business owners, with no brain.

Amazing Thailand. 

Maybe you can send the letter and tell them they must listen to you. Because you have a brain.

Sorry, but your post is not very relevant.

First, I will say that you are correct that Thailand and Thai authorities did, in the past, build a successful tourism industry; I can't argue with that and I don't think anyone can. However, that was a few years ago and given all the nice stuff Thailand has to offer, I don't believe that it was too challenging. But credit where is due; a very good business was built

The challenge is VERY different now and the evidence to date is that efforts to re-open and restore Thailand's tourism industry are not succeeding; sorry if that makes you sad to hear.

The simple fact is that Thailand's tourism infrastructure, both physical and human, is in rapid decline and needs assistance quite quickly. It is not getting that assistance. Hotels are in need of maintenance; investments are needed to maintain a modern edge and to keep up with current demand. Transportation links, which once were good, have been idle for several years and need to be refurbished and up-dated. Marketing, which (again) was good needs to be modernized and new markets tapped. Rules and regulations, especially regarding visas and work issues, need to be updated and modernized. Health measures, a critical issue in a post-Covid industry, need to be streamlined and effective; currently they are not. To sum up, there is a HUGE amount of work to be done, and I do not see it happening.

Perhaps the most important of all, human infrastructure, needs to be updated and modernized. Simply put, many workers in the tourism industry have not been practicing their craft for almost two years and are very rusty. The best example that I can think of are the hotel workers that I know; they are wonderful people, hard workers, but they are rapidly forgetting how to speak English as they don't speak it very often. This needs to be addressed, and quickly.

The numbers are never perfect, but it seems Thailand's tourism industry accounts for 15%-20% of GDP, and if Thailand is to keep and/or re-capture it, a whole slew of pro-active measures are needed. 

I don't see it happening. 

Do you?

• Like 2

I tried to get the STV and the process was a bit of a pain in the ass. I stayed in Thailand previously for a year on multiple entry visa followed by 60 day and extensions. Then covid happened. The STV required extra paperwork , nonsense expensive criminal background check and medical certificate showing i have no diseases. Also the STV cant be converted to any other visa. Instead I opted for the 60 day and now covid extensions. Im not an old farang and I have not taken any jobs away from any Thais. I have contributed and always bring more than I take. Now I am getting marriage extension so I can forget all that noise. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Sorry, but your post is not very relevant.

Sorry, but her post was incredibly relevant.

It ain't rocket science.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

The challenge is VERY different now and the evidence to date is that efforts to re-open 
I don't see it happening. Do you?

Yes

I come to Phuket since Tuesday. Clean hotel 75% discount. Lovely staff upgrade room for 100baht per night! Very good service. 

Central plaza busy, many foreigner, restaurants busy, Grab busy.

Thousands staff have job again. Where are you? 

Covid is the problem. If no covid 40 million foreigners tourism plus this year and last year. 

Please use your brain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

How do they do this without attracting all the backpackers who don't contribute anything? I'm not against youth but fell strongly that everyone needs to pay their own way and add to society. 

A short-sighted view...  The back-packers from yesterday, are the reservoir for the repeat-tourists from today and several of them will be the long-term stayers of tomorrow.  And all of them contribute to the all-important tourist-sector for Thailand. 

TAT's 'vision' to focus almost exclusively on the less than 1% ultra-rich tourists is more of a hallucination than a coherent vision.

12 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Covid is the problem. If no covid 40 million foreigners tourism plus this year and last year. 

Please use your brain.

Covid is a small part of the problem.  The way how covid was addressed here in Thailand is a far bigger contributor to the problem. 

Yes, I used my brain...

1 hour ago, BlueSphinx said:

A short-sighted view...  The back-packers from yesterday, are the reservoir for the repeat-tourists from today and several of them will be the long-term stayers of tomorrow.  And all of them contribute to the all-important tourist-sector for Thailand. 

TAT's 'vision' to focus almost exclusively on the less than 1% ultra-rich tourists is more of a hallucination than a coherent vision.

I respectfully disagree,  the backpackers are leeches and brag about getting everything for nothing. 

1 hour ago, BlueSphinx said:

No need for ultra rich. Need people who pay there bills and contribute to Thai society.  I'd say to pay your fair share or stay home.  No free healthcare or complaining about falang pricing. Speak Thai if you want Thai price, speak falang and get falang price. Seems fair to me.

31 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I respectfully disagree,  the backpackers are leeches and brag about getting everything for nothing. 

Wow, someone had a bad experience with a backpacker and lumped all into freeloaders???  I have backpacked in many places around the world in the past and every time they have cost money.  I’m not sure how someone can do this for nothing, because even in my home country it has costs for food, permits, expense getting to hiking locations, and at times equipment repairs or replacement.  How does one get everything for nothing?  “Respectfully” disagreeing and then calling all of them “leeches” is quite the oxymoron 🤣🤣.  It isn’t luxury tourism spending large sums of money.  Not sure how you are basing your opinion on backpackers, but one or a few bad apples shouldn’t define all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Very good and well written comment. But it's not only bureaucracy, but a latent and sometimes very visible xenophobia . One only has to see how proud they are when they can parade another caught overstayer like they just arrested Osama Bin Ladens successor. There has to be a total change in attitude towards foreigners. Allowing foreigners to buy land within an acceptable framework and stopping the double pricing. I personally don't think the latter brings in a lot more revenue, but makes people feel discriminated and unwelcome. Ad as far as any entrance fee is concerned. Most Thai's are that short money wise that visiting any site doesn't even come into the picture, no matter how cheap. Point is that the attitude Thai poor, foreigner rich with the consequent institutionalized overcharging of tourists has to change in society first.

• Like 3

I think the premise that "Rich People" will drove to Thailand using this Visa is underwhelming. Thailand has to look at the daily rate of cases. Thailand isn't doing a great job in suppressing or in securing and administering vaccine. Even the sandbox type arrangements are operating outside their guidelines. Why would a wealthy person want to come to, let alone invest in Thailand right now?  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Yinn said:

Amazing Thailand. 

Sorry @Yinn but that’s not what the data suggests. I don’t know why you think Thailand was in the top 3? The top destination by tourist arrivals in 2019 is as follows:

Sorce is Wikipedia 

9BCD1AC5-B17D-4A77-808A-CB380B9278B7.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LoongFred said:

No need for ultra rich. Need people who pay there bills and contribute to Thai society.  I'd say to pay your fair share or stay home.  No free healthcare or complaining about falang pricing. Speak Thai if you want Thai price, speak falang and get falang price. Seems fair to me.

What language is Falang? I’ve never heard of that? Perhaps you mean:

Italian, German, French, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, English, Welsh, Greek, Turkish, Portuguese, Czech, Albanian, Bulgarian, Hebrew, Croatian or Catalan?   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

What language is Falang? I’ve never heard of that? Perhaps you mean:

Italian, German, French, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, English, Welsh, Greek, Turkish, Portuguese, Czech, Albanian, Bulgarian, Hebrew, Croatian or Catalan?   

I'm not sure anyone would understand those languages, so get the full price. Good for you to contribute. 

8 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I'm not sure anyone would understand those languages, so get the full price. Good for you to contribute. 

I think you are right. Most of the countries where the languages on my list are their national language, they are also generally fluent in English. English has become the global international language, which I am fortunate enough to speak. Most countries that have taken the broader view of the world have citizens with a high level of English skills. This is helping them develop the country economically. Perhaps the “Penny will drop” with Thailand one day and their country will progress. Then they won’t need to stoop to sharp practices of charging foreigners more than locals for essentials such as food. I won’t be holding my breath waiting for that to happen mind you!  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think you are right. Most of the countries where the languages on my list are their national language, they are also generally fluent in English. English has become the global international language, which I am fortunate enough to speak. Most countries that have taken the broader view of the world have citizens with a high level of English skills. This is helping them develop the country economically. Perhaps the “Penny will drop” with Thailand one day and their country will progress. Then they won’t need to stoop to sharp practices of charging foreigners more than locals for essentials such as food. I won’t be holding my breath waiting for that to happen mind you!  

Outside tourist area I don't see a difference in prices. The exception would be national parks. When I go to Chiang Mai I  never get charged more in places with fixed prices. My wife thinks she's a better bargainer. It might be so, but if she's not around I do pretty good. 

I speak Thai so generally they don't try. I usually go to the local private hospital and the bill is computer generated in both Thai and English. My friend who has had to go to the government hospital is frequently told by the doctor that he's being given the Thai price. He doesn't ask for a special price and doesn't speak  Thai. 

It used to be that taxis and other bargained services would try to charge more, but they tried the same with out of town Thais or if you were with a girl. I would always do the talking so as not to let them try. Now a day, these services are set. It's probably why Thais frequently ask how much you paid. 

On 10/2/2021 at 7:12 AM, Shade_Wilder said:

I like your idea of increasing the monthly renewal fees as a means to better support immigration. However, I'd increase it to 3 or 3.5k/ monthly extension. Not much as it's only $100. I'd also require them to have a registered address (like we do for 90 day reports), maybe a bank statement to finish it off. 

Those living off the land will object, but those aren't my concern.

On 10/2/2021 at 9:19 AM, Yinn said:

Yes

I come to Phuket since Tuesday. Clean hotel 75% discount. Lovely staff upgrade room for 100baht per night! Very good service. 

Central plaza busy, many foreigner, restaurants busy, Grab busy.

Thousands staff have job again. Where are you? 

Please use your brain.

Have a great time.