News Forum - New eased rules for travellers entering Thailand enacted

Thaiger

The Tourism Authority of Thailand released a slew of press releases yesterday declaring a broad revision to Sandbox and entry programs and making it easier for international travellers to enter Thailand. The two biggest revisions that just went into effect are the abolishment of an approved country list for travellers to arrive from, and shortening arrival quarantine times from 14 days to just one week. Since launching the first Sandbox in Phuket on July 1, Thailand has maintained a list of countries that were considered low and high risk for Covid-19 transmission. Only those travelling from countries on the safe […]

The post New eased rules for travellers entering Thailand enacted appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

They just really don't get it, do they?

Yes, cutting down on the quarantine is a good thing, but if you are allowing fully vaccinated people (2 shots) into the country, then why do they need to quarantine at all? Further, given that most Thais don't have 2 shots, aren't Thais actually more dangerous than an visitor? Hint: yes, they are!

However, this is still only one part of the problem:

Getting a COE is too difficult and time consuming.

Getting 100,000$ of insurance is too difficult, too expensive, and if Thailand is safe, why is it needed?

Getting tested and tested and re-tested with an overpriced test is dumb and insulting to visitors.

Getting an over-priced hotel is just a blatant rip-off, and people know it.

Getting limited on where you can eat and drink is a turn-off.

I could go on, but what's the point?

I think it is good for Thailand to re-open, even through it is not without risk. BUT, if Thailand is going to re-open, then it should re-open; half-assed re-openings just piss people off.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I think it is good for Thailand to re-open, even through it is not without risk. BUT, if Thailand is going to re-open, then it should re-open; half-assed re-openings just piss people off.

They had the "eased" rules with 7d quaranten back in April, but switched back to the former rules very quickly again, in May. Many who had made plans, bought flight tickets, payed for ASQ got really pissed of. It really makes you wonder, how long is it gona last this time? It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they went back to 14 days quarantine should cases skyrocket again. 

• Like 5

im glad to hear they are going to open the country.thats great!! im ready to apply for my visa.but the requirements have killed that.myself and quite a few others i know are same as me.we are ready to come back now.but this insurance requirement stops it cold.before you can apply for your visa you have to show your ''thai insurance company policy'' and if you are 74,75 years old or more  you cant buy it.so that stops any interest in getting a flight,coe,visa  or anything.i have sent the usa  embassy many  request of how we can apply?how do we get a visa when its blocked by this insurance rule? so far after many months ive  had no reply from the embassy in dc.i wish they would just open the country  on what ever date they pick and lift all restrictions!!no  coe,no 100,000 usd insurance,no 3 covid test after arriving if you have  had your shot.the paper work required now and in a  tight time frame to get all this done its almost impossable.and they want a date and an airline booked and paid before you can even apply.if any one of the other things are delayed,you have just blown a few thousand bucks for nothing.one site says get your coe 15 days before your flight,but it expires after 30 days!!so why not drop it all together.it does nothing to keep anyone safe.so ill close this opinion of mine a wait a bit longer before i just flat give up.hope all the best,stay safe and well. farang

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

think it is good for Thailand to re-open, even through it is not without risk. BUT, if Thailand is going to re-open, then it should re-open; half-assed re-openings just piss people off.

I think Thailand should open slowly, carefully, with rules so the pandemic not kill more Thai citizens. 
Having rules will stop Covidiots, anti maskers, anti vaxxers etc that pissed off easily. 

It isn’t rocket science.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

9 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I think Thailand should open slowly, carefully, with rules so the pandemic not kill more Thai citizens. 
Having rules will stop Covidiots, anti maskers, anti vaxxers etc that pissed off easily. 

It isn’t rocket science.

When 70% is vaccinated, open up the country without any CoE or quaranten, no matter what covid numbers they may have, because the numbers will continue to go up and down and can't go on changing their mind like they've done, virtually on a daily basis. So to move forward, they have to stop with the flip flopping nonsense and stick to the plans they've announced.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

.,. aren't Thais actually more dangerous than an visitor? Hint: yes, they are!

Hint - NO THEY'RE NOT!

While the vaccinated may be / are less likely to die or be hospitalised if they catch Covid, they're no less likely to transmit it to anyone else, including all those who aren't yet vaccinated.

From what has happened in other countries, they're actually a lot MORE likely to transmit the virus than the un-vaccinated as they'll be taking less precautions as they have less to worry about, and as they're a lot less likely to show any symptoms they're a lot less likely to be noticed as possible carriers / infected.

I realise it doesn't suit your agenda, but the proven facts show that they're at least as "dangerous" as the unvaccinated and potentially far more so, and constantly denying the facts doesn't change them.

• Like 4

Getting 100,000$ of insurance is too difficult, too expensive, and if Thailand is safe, why is it needed?

Because Thailand isn't "safe" - how can it be given the number of serious cases and deaths?

Getting tested and tested and re-tested with an overpriced test is dumb and insulting to visitors.

"overpriced" quite possibly, but with no way for any country to verify vaccination certificates and mass cases of forgeries elsewhere what other verifiable option is there?

Getting limited on where you can eat and drink is a turn-off

As it is for many here, Thai and farang alike, but until people here are vaccinated there's no option - tourists can't holiday in a bubble, as if nobody else exists.

could go on, but what's the point?

None! 😂

Yes, cutting down on the quarantine is a good thing, but if you are allowing fully vaccinated people (2 shots) into the country, then why do they need to quarantine at all? Further, given that most Thais don't have 2 shots, aren't Thais actually more dangerous than an visitor? Hint: yes, they are!

So I take it that you are better off staying put. Good for you.

Maybe it depends on how busy your embassy is, but on my previous dealings with my local embassy getting the CoE was very easy on both occasions. The Charge d'Affaires would normally reply in a couple of hours. Always same day. 

The 100k insurance took 5 minutes online to obtain using a suggested provider from the embassy. Cost about 100$ for 90 days. 

Sandbox hotels have some great deals at all price points. Some are under 1000 baht a night. Just look on Agoda. It's all there. 

The rules now are a starting point to be relaxed over time. 

Personally I don't think many tourists will come as things stand, but any easing off of restrictions is most welcome. 

Under the previous rules I wasn't eligible for Sandbox, now I am. This is most welcome. 

And when Hua Hin starts next month hopefully even better as my family is in Prechuap.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Hint - NO THEY'RE NOT!

While the vaccinated may be / are less likely to die or be hospitalised if they catch Covid, they're no less likely to transmit it to anyone else, including all those who aren't yet vaccinated.

From what has happened in other countries, they're actually a lot MORE likely to transmit the virus than the un-vaccinated as they'll be taking less precautions as they have less to worry about, and as they're a lot less likely to show any symptoms they're a lot less likely to be noticed as possible carriers / infected.

I realise it doesn't suit your agenda, but the proven facts show that they're at least as "dangerous" as the unvaccinated and potentially far more so, and constantly denying the facts doesn't change them.

Vaccinated people ARE less likely to transmit the virus. 

https://www-nbcnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1280583?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16331542852550&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbcnews.com%2Fhealth%2Fhealth-news%2Fvaccinated-people-are-less-likely-spread-covid-new-research-finds-n1280583

Hey all;

Just curious what the Covid testing regimen will be with the new changes.  Assuming I am fully jabbed and have a negative test upon entry, what then? Assuming no quarantine at the time, that is.  Same for the reduced SHA in Phukkit.   

I would love to come over Christmas, but it depends on how painful it will be...

Just now, BeerIsLife said:

Hey all;

Just curious what the Covid testing regimen will be with the new changes.  Assuming I am fully jabbed and have a negative test upon entry, what then? Assuming no quarantine at the time, that is.  Same for the reduced SHA in Phukkit.   

I would love to come over Christmas, but it depends on how painful it will be...

2 tests.

Screenshot_20211002_090800.thumb.jpg.0bcd4d4721699fb5e4f785389a370188.jpg

6 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Thais don't have 2 shots, aren't Thais actually more dangerous than an visitor? Hint: yes, they are!

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Hint - NO THEY'RE NOT!

Make your minds up!

We get vaccinated to travel and live normal lives for gods sake

Off course people who are vaccinated assume they invincible or at least more protected, but in reality they are unlikely to suffer or be hospitalized (as you say above) if they catch it  so fair enough no worries

I am vaccinated that's the policy i have

So Thailand forget opening vaccinate the locals with something useful then open until this is done you are just playing games

• Like 4

This isnt going to make it any better, the evolving merry go round farce that it has been, changing every few weeks, to what they have come up with now, isn't going create a surge in people coming. Ive had to do quarantine twice this year there, and I'm not heading back until they change the rules again.

If they want tourism and money, they need to either accept proof of vaccination or non vaccinated to have an RT-PCR test prior to arrival. People aren't going to be bothered with all this regurgitated sandbox crap, the government could white wash their image and boost the economy if they did something meaningful and bullish in comparison to other countries.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Hint - NO THEY'RE NOT!

Glad to see that @Stonker joined the ranks of the so-called 'conspiracy theorists' on this particular issue, although it would be more accurate to label them Covid-Vax Sceptics.  Indeed the facts and data are so overwhelming now that it cannot be denied anymore that vaccinated people are MORE likely to spread the virus than the unvaccinated ones.  The main reason being that the vaccine suppresses their symptoms when they are infected, so they can go unwittingly on a spreading spree. 

A couple weeks ago I was verbally attacked for stating this, and those that rely on the mainstream media to form their opinion instead of doing some research on the issue, will undoubtedly keep on repeating the mantra of the 'dangerous unvaccinated' that need to be punished for not conforming to What Everybody Knows. 

2 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Glad to see that @Stonker joined the ranks of the so-called 'conspiracy theorists' on this particular issue, although it would be more accurate to label them Covid-Vax Sceptics.  Indeed the facts and data are so overwhelming now that it cannot be denied anymore that vaccinated people are MORE likely to spread the virus than the unvaccinated ones.  The main reason being that the vaccine suppresses their symptoms when they are infected, so they can go unwittingly on a spreading spree. 

A couple weeks ago I was verbally attacked for stating this, and those that rely on the mainstream media to form their opinion instead of doing some research on the issue, will undoubtedly keep on repeating the mantra of the 'dangerous unvaccinated' that need to be punished for not conforming to What Everybody Knows. 

University of Oxford disagrees with you ......😆😆😆

https://www-nbcnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1280583?amp_js_v=a6&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16331542852550&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From %1%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbcnews.com%2Fhealth%2Fhealth-news%2Fvaccinated-people-are-less-likely-spread-covid-new-research-finds-n1280583

35 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

That study has yet to be peer reviewed, is only of Astra Zeneca and Pfizer, and if you read the full article rather than the attention-grabbing headline it tells a very different story:

"The new study showed that protection against transmission seemed to wane over time, however. After three months, people who had breakthrough infections after being vaccinated with AstraZeneca were just as likely to spread the delta variant as the unvaccinated."

That's from your link.

The last time I looked, "just as likely" is not the same as "less likely".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Ummm ... no they don't - see above.

Sometimes you need to read beyond the headlines.

"The study was posted online Thursday and hasn’t yet been peer reviewed. But scientists not associated with the research said the findings were credible."

And you should read the second line. 😆😆😆

8 minutes ago, Stonker said:

That study has yet to be peer reviewed, is only of Astra Zeneca and Pfizer, and if you read the full article rather than the attention-grabbing headline it tells a very different story:

"The new study showed that protection against transmission seemed to wane over time, however. After three months, people who had breakthrough infections after being vaccinated with AstraZeneca were just as likely to spread the delta variant as the unvaccinated."

That's from your link.

The last time I looked, "just as likely" is not the same as "less likely".

Over time meaning that there is a reduced transmission that then weakens. 

So there is reduced transmission in vaccinated people which then weakens over time. 

Glad we agree on this. 

Plenty of vaccinated walking around with reduced transmission

6 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Thanks for posting that link, but you probably didn't read the article, as the title of that article contradicts several of the statements that are made.  So let me cherry-pick a couple of them:

# When infected with the delta variant, a given contact was 65 percent less likely to test positive if the person from whom the exposure occurred was fully vaccinated with two doses of the Pfizer vaccine. With AstraZeneca, a given contact was 36 percent less likely to test positive if the person from whom the exposure occurred was fully vaccinated.

# The risk of transmission from a breakthrough infection was much higher if someone had received just dose of either vaccine.

# Using cycle threshold (Ct) values, the researchers found a similar level of viral load in unvaccinated and vaccinated people who were infected with the delta variant, backing up prior studies.

# After three months, people who had breakthrough infections after being vaccinated with AstraZeneca were just as likely to spread the delta variant as the unvaccinated.

>> The University of Oxford study was posted online Thursday and hasn’t yet been peer reviewed.  And the article does not contain a link to the pre-print of the study.  I would be interested to receive a link to that study, so that I can do my research first-hand and not rely on the interpretation as rendered in a NBC news-article.