Best Somtam in Thailand .

Fluke

Where is the best Somtam in Thailand ?

This one is my personal favorite , from the World Famous Heun Phen restaurant in Chiang Mai .

Quite expensive at 70 Baht , but very much worth paying a bit extra for quality and sitting in a restaurant, rather than on a plastic chair on the pavement . 

The vinegar sauce is what makes it such a nice meal, perfect for dipping sticky rice in afterwards  .

What is your personal favorite somtam 

DSCF6511.JPG

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

On 10/1/2021 at 4:07 PM, Fluke said:

Where is the best Somtam in Thailand ?

This one is my personal favorite , from the World Famous Heun Phen restaurant in Chiang Mai .

Quite expensive at 70 Baht , but very much worth paying a bit extra for quality and sitting in a restaurant, rather than on a plastic chair on the pavement . 

The vinegar sauce is what makes it such a nice meal, perfect for dipping sticky rice in afterwards  .

What is your personal favorite somtam 

DSCF6511.JPG

Vinegar sauce?  70bt ok for quality, safer than a 40bt food court lucky dip. 

My wife makes the best somtam, no joke, and she does every variety to suit guests.  Mind you she has her own fridge for the pickled crabs and bpla ra. 

We grow so many pawpaw, a long Isaan variety preferred for crunchy texture, she has to give them away by the dozen.

I'm a wimp and enjoy a mild 2 chili mix with plenty of lime juice and a splash of fish sauce.

Jo's somtam (+sataw beans) paired with sticky hoisin wings >

lZMi8DSec4yJSkIfx6QhJpoUz6L809eo1hjDKa_VXk6KhhIApSuhho1obLIwaotexQuGDrNjRDJzM0w5IlVcRwMtyBDdtXy1bjyIMD7v4xC_GjA1fVzTc9IYbBXyESk3XvzbXw-hkmZwq8fZpKtgdEVKCubn8wIRo_CyAWZi-OW1wjqyJqLtsDIgVi2SoWbalS7bY3gtha2JaPtpRVwnD17rTaX3h-yau7VEzh4Wx2kfK0-WTHVikVankvArmuInJS5aH6AK5b4ijXhV-APBLP0OBtPkM8-qVBD1VhU32JNRIVJGalXsifeNdhPHIoT85Sab0a3ASs6bAWJBk2V5k7ojg3_22OBUEjtPtcaNVUQNtrMv2ZDVxFLl-5Ozt5I3geg4JOtkXdFpAyM6QJRy9cjrv4mOCCI9RsFli2xSxPiF_ItaHhY9ScykAmrlO30Q3raBNqYy8y5TE-xy5tyimA8kW6xXFKDCHQ4RR4GzHRrqwfJ9d4wMeNBZBmAC5opUyxWW0_LWx5Cm4edgYznxbPHjf4opvu1Fl-LnDbL5Wp3Rjbo5el1BChvZoLVrwWDC3tRR18V3-vLc4W1Pe0OZb8mkhHJ1B7w-UqLTz97gqW_PKeA-1I4huKPi1Q1J01y8WhPFNQguL8Wn9ZNtGVWJie73lNax5zDknT24EAqidyk_A49hWEoAZPZC46WhnLURBFIQAI9ArG9KXDEbJVa6ASX2=w1343-h1007-no?authuser=0

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

On 10/7/2021 at 9:28 AM, KaptainRob said:

Vinegar sauce? 

Thinking about it, it was actually lemon juice .

They are both rather similar and I got them mixed up 

• Haha 1

I don't eat Somtam 

But I just drove my wife to do what seemed like a "drug deal "

Buying this sauce off some random girl she met on Facebook   😀

She says it's "really smelly" and it looks like it would be!

Oh and she paid about 300baht when she says she can get it Thailand for 30baht

20211009_072341.jpg

15 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Buying this sauce off some random girl she met on Facebook   😀

She says it's "really smelly" and it looks like it would be!

Tell Ao I said she has to open the bpla ra bottle outside on balcony and eat her somtam there as well ... see how she reacts 😜

2 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Tell Ao I said she has to open the bpla ra bottle outside on balcony and eat her somtam there as well ... see how she reacts 😜

I'm much better with the smells than I used 

She used to save cooking smelly food for when I was away on business 

But I married a Thai girl, the smells come with the package  😀

On 10/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, Marc26 said:

I'm much better with the smells than I used 

She used to save cooking smelly food for when I was away on business 

But I married a Thai girl, the smells come with the package  😀

You're getting soft in your old age 😉, pre-conditioning yourself to retirement in LOS.