Two birds coming to my room .

Fluke

I do have quite a large balcony and French doors and I sit just inside .

These two birds come to visit most days .

They stand on the balcony ledge looking into my room and sing a song to get my attention and I go and give them a feed . 

They stand there staring at me and making bird noises to get my attention and soon as I look at them , they move back a bit 

I sometimes ignore them and the songs get louder and louder and they flap their wings to get noticed .

I give them a feed and sometimes they bring hairpins and other bits of small shiny metal , I suppose as a gift in return .

DSCF6907.JPG

DSCF6904.JPG

• Like 3

I have 2 pairs of these live next to my house, but they are everywhere in my rural province.

I believe they are Common Mynah birds, can be very loud at times if they are having a domestic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saltire said:

I have 2 pairs of these live next to my house, but they are everywhere in my rural province.

I believe they are Common Mynah birds, can be very loud at times if they are having a domestic.

Yes, I have named one of the birds "Yinn" and I haven't thought of a name for the other one yet :)

• Haha 3

They're lovely birds, full of character. I often see them outside the house on the road chattering away.

They really do seem like they are talking to each other.

My wife told me that some people believe that if you cut their tongue, they will talk...😱

Take some pictures, or a video if you can.

1 minute ago, Fluke said:

Yes, I have named one of the birds "Yinn" and I haven't thought of a name for the other one yet :)

Transam....😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Faraday said:

They're lovely birds, full of character. I often see them outside the house on the road chattering away.

My wife told me that some people believe that if you cut their tongue, they will talk...😱

Those birds actually talk , although I think that can just mimic words they hear 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Hmmmmm. Not so lovely.
They like to kill other birds. 

Those must be the Burmese Mynah birds, Thai Mynah birds would never do such a thing 

Do they "like" to kill other birds or is there reason why they do it ?

58 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Their hobby. They “territorial”.

They mate for life so you frequently see a pair. At my house they like to come eat the leftover dog food. If there isn't enough they let you know. We have a couple of pairs but mostly one pair. 

They must nest close by but I don't know where.

We have a lot of other birds and my wife puts out food. Downstairs we have folding  windows that are usually open

The birds become brave and fly right in. Occasionally they get disoriented and my wife catches them and takes them outside.  Sometimes they can get very noisy. One tree might have 50+ birds roosting.  We don't mind.

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

This may be of interest to you

17 hours ago, Fluke said:

Very apt name, can start a fight in an empty room :)

16 hours ago, Fluke said:

Those must be the Burmese Mynah birds, Thai Mynah birds would never do such a thing 

Do they "like" to kill other birds or is there reason why they do it ?

Indian Mynah or "common " mynah are extremely territorial and aggressive. Their introduction to Australia proved to be a typical mistake due the decimation of native bird species including small tree dwelling mammals. I say "typical" mistake as with cane toads !

3 hours ago, Convert54 said:

Indian Mynah or "common " mynah are extremely territorial and aggressive. Their introduction to Australia proved to be a typical mistake due the decimation of native bird species including small tree dwelling mammals. I say "typical" mistake as with cane toads !

Similar to reticulated/Burmese pythons in the USA  .

Introduced into  the wilds and became dominate after eating all the smaller snakes 

20 hours ago, LoongFred said:

They mate for life so you frequently see a pair. At my house they like to come eat the leftover dog food. If there isn't enough they let you know. 

Its a way of communicating , like human babies do .

When babies are hungry they communicate that by crying , when the birds are hungry, they communicate that be squawking , both times looking at the food source and expecting a feed  

• 6 months later...
On 10/1/2021 at 3:53 PM, Yinn said:

Hmmmmm. Not so lovely.
They like to kill other birds. 

Natural order of the bird kingdom! Nok Eong are beautiful song birds and they take care of the menacing Thai sparrow population!

Love them in my garden anytime 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 3:59 AM, Convert54 said:

Same thing in England and Wales with the introduction of the grey squirrel,they drove the native red out.Scotland has been spared I believe.I remember when I was a kid people kept them in cages because they were very entertaining,great mimics.Introduced or escaped? 

Just now, yselmike said:

Same thing in England and Wales with the introduction of the grey squirrel,they drove the native red out.Scotland has been spared I believe.I remember when I was a kid people kept them in cages because they were very entertaining,great mimics.Introduced or escaped? 

That's mynah birds in cages not squirrels.

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2021 at 3:00 PM, Faraday said:

That business about cutting a bird's tongue to get them to talk is completely wrong.  Please don't do that.