News Forum - 2 million doses of government-bought Pfizer have arrived, 28 million to follow

Thaiger

The long-awaited first lot of Pfizer vaccine doses purchased by the Thai government have arrived in the country. 2 million doses touched down at Suvarnabhumi airport yesterday and were received by the Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, according to a Bangkok Post report. In total, the government has ordered 30 million doses of the mRNA-based vaccine, with the other 28 million arriving before the end of the year. Yesterday’s delivery will first need to undergo quality checks with the Food and Drug Administration and the Medical Sciences Department. According to Anutin, the doses will then be distributed across the country, […]

The post 2 million doses of government-bought Pfizer have arrived, 28 million to follow appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

13 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I was given my appointment for my first shot Monday maybe I'll get one of these but I won't hold my breath 

No, you won't. They haven't finished the 1.5m donation yet. Also they technically can't get the next batch ready so quick as there's a lot to prepare first.

3 minutes ago, richard said:

Isn't Pfizer supposed to be transported in a freezer truck and kept at a certain temperature until used ? Hope it was a cool day

Isn't Pfizer supposed to be transported in a freezer truck and kept at a certain temperature until used ? Hope it was a cool day. 

But doesn't matter so much, as the local distribution process is done 'Thai-style'...

Covid vaccine arrival in Thailand.png

1 minute ago, richard said:

Isn't Pfizer supposed to be transported in a freezer truck and kept at a certain temperature until used ? Hope it was a cool day

It's in Pfizer's propriatory containers, -70° and details and location constantly tracked.

We don't know the production date, but realistically it should keep 4-5 months like that.

• Once a POU receives a thermal shipper with our vaccine, they have three options for storage:
    • - Ultra-low-temperature freezers, which are commercially available and can extend shelf life for up to six months.
    • - The Pfizer thermal shippers, in which doses will arrive, that can be used as temporary storage units by refilling with dry ice every five days for up to 30 days of storage.
    • - Refrigeration units that are commonly available in hospitals. The vaccine can be stored for five days at refrigerated 2-8°C conditions.
  • After storage for up to 30 days in the Pfizer thermal shipper, vaccination centers can transfer the vials to 2-8°C storage conditions for an additional five days, for a total of up to 35 days. Once thawed and stored under 2-8°C conditions, the vials cannot be re-frozen or stored under frozen conditions.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/hot-topics/covid_19_vaccine_u_s_distribution_fact_sheet

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

I was given my appointment for my first shot Monday maybe I'll get one of these but I won't hold my breath 

no chance, it be going to the entitled ones,based on status,l,m waiting to go home when thailand off the red listing,l no longer trust or expect a recognised vaccine here

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, harry1 said:

no chance, it be going to the entitled ones,based on status,l,m waiting to go home when thailand off the red listing,l no longer trust or expect a recognised vaccine here

Don't give up hope. And just go there to see what they have. It's clearly posted. You can always leave before you go in or politely decline.

Some on the forum had double Pfizer (me too) just by luck of attending a walk in that was announced 1 day in advance.

Good luck!

40 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

It's in Pfizer's propriatory containers, -70° and details and location constantly tracked.

We don't know the production date, but realistically it should keep 4-5 months like that.

it would certainly help the cause if they were kept mainly in a cold storage,reliant on a lithium batteries over six months can cause failure,especially in 35c,my smoke alarm has a10 year lifespan,but generally malfunction after 5 years

3 minutes ago, harry1 said:

it would certainly help the cause if they were kept mainly in a cold storage,reliant on a lithium batteries over six months can cause failure,especially in 35c,my smoke alarm has a10 year lifespan,but generally malfunction after 5 years

Well, let's not use your smoke alarm then 🤣

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Where are you located and age bracket? Just curious as I search for my kids.

3 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Yup, that's why I said realistically 4-5 months, as we don't know the production date, but that definitely wasn't yesterday...

Well ... no ... if "It's in Pfizer's propriatory containers" that's "up to 30 days of storage" plus five days in hospital fridges.

I may be wrong, but I don't think 35 days is "realistically 4-5 months".

Once a POU receives a thermal shipper with our vaccine, they have three options for storage:

- Ultra-low-temperature freezers, which are commercially available and can extend shelf life for up to six months.

- The Pfizer thermal shippers, in which doses will arrive, that can be used as temporary storage units by refilling with dry ice every five days for up to 30 days of storage.

- Refrigeration units that are commonly available in hospitals. The vaccine can be stored for five days at refrigerated 2-8°C conditions.

After storage for up to 30 days in the Pfizer thermal shipper, vaccination centers can transfer the vials to 2-8°C storage conditions for an additional five days, for a total of up to 35 days. Once thawed and stored under 2-8°C conditions, the vials cannot be re-frozen or stored under frozen conditions.

* As the vaccine wasn't necessarily produced yesterday or last week, realistically 4-5 months should be possible, same as the donated batch that arrived 30/7 expires in November.

Despite all the to and fro over how long these vaccines will last, it's a good sign. In my country, when Pzifer doses first arrived, it as all about cold chain storage. Since then, we've learned that Pzifer can be kept in a fridge in the same way as Astra Zeneca and Moderna are. The need to keep Pfizer and Moderna so cold was a real problem, because transporting it to remote places was impossible at that temperature.  Now, it's transportable to anywhere in the country!!! I'm so happy for Thailand!! I hope this is the beginning of the end of Covid! It has cost us all so much!

I have my 2nd Pfizer shot at Medpark Hospital on Monday for what its worth.

Im not anyone special. Just a guy that applied on the govt expat vax site. 

On 9/30/2021 at 1:56 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Where are you located and age bracket? Just curious as I search for my kids.

Kabin buri prachinburi province I'm 64 and registered on 4 August 

Update on my vaccination someone was watching out for me today I went to the place to get my vaccination and my name wasn't on the list thankfully there were 2 ladies that took the time to make some phone calls and got it straightened out so I got my first dose of phizer. 2nd shot on the 25th 

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Update on my vaccination someone was watching out for me today I went to the place to get my vaccination and my name wasn't on the list thankfully there were 2 ladies that took the time to make some phone calls and got it straightened out so I got my first dose of phizer. 2nd shot on the 25th 

Great. As I keep posting, they haven't finished the free 1.5m donation yet so keep looking for walk-in locations!

Could you post the batch number you received (or send it in private message)?