Isaan . . . where The Land of Smiles gets its name from

King Cotton

18 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I can image your university is very low ranked compared to mine but I don't need to mention it as you do regarding Thailands universities, maybe you never went to any university and so have a chip on your shoulder?

Again, you were the one that continually stressed how "educated Thais" looked down on certain people.

I just merely pointed out that those "educated Thais" are themselves looked down upon a by a large swath of the global corporate community.......

Edited by Marc26

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

Quite, the educated Thais see them the same way as you describe, they would not associate with them directly unless they were employed as house servants living in seperate quarters to the owner.

They have asked me many times why do farangs marry such girls and why can they not find a nice educated Thai girl, I tell them not all farangs are educated so they marry at their level, or if they are old and want to find a girl decades younger then only this type of girl would marry them. 

I remember watching a Thai 'comedy' film in Bangkok (with subtitles thankfully) and the biggest laugh was when some white-faced simpering ladyboy said 'tammai farang chorp pooying dam' - why do farangs like dark women. The jokes are like anti Irish jokes that were popular in the Uk in the 70s  - framing them as backward uneducated county bumpkins. Thai culture has a rigid concept of hierarchy at it's centre - where do you stand in the pecking order.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

"The post in question were talking about the way out villages"

The tell them to get off their ar-ses and move.

"You are comparing yourself, born in the UK, to a person born into poverty in a far reaching village?"

I did say, "it is the same in Thailand , not all Thais were or are born rich, they push themselves and their main objective is to get an education and thus change their lives for themselves not wait for someone to give them a free ride, Thailand is full of stories of wealthy successful business people who came from nothing."

There is a simple solutions though, if all the bleeding heart liberal in the West feels so bad about it they could put together a fund and get these people out of their poverty, the problem is they might just use the money to have more kids.

You really have no understanding of Isaan what so ever.

How do people move with no money?

Where exactly do they move to?

What will they do for work when they move?

Thailand is full of wealthy people who made their wealth from corruption. Like the 400 million baht policemen in the news now. It is NOT full full of wealthy successful business people. Thailand has there 1% like every else. How many out of the population of 60 million are wealthy? Do the math if you can.

There are billions of people living in poverty around the world.

Isaan is just one location.

Do you even realize that?

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

"Marc's comments are all true. A Thai education is worthless outside Thailand."

Not true, my wife's degree from the top university in BKK got her a job as a programmer in the UK many years ago.

"People born into poverty, in villages where there are NO jobs and no opportunities, remain poor their entire life."

True, not unless they get off their ar-ses and do something about it like many other Thais do. 

What is common though in Issan is to send a good looking daughter to Pattaya for example and see if they can catch a simple minded farang to subsidise their income by marriage. 

Once again, someone with 40 years in Thailand would know better.

Your wife? Years ago? With no evidence as such, is 1 out of 60,000,000 people. Do the math.

You refuse to admit to facts. Facts are facts.

Do all the best companies in the world come banging down the doors in Thailand to hire their college graduates? Come on man. It is ridiculous as it sounds.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

I went to Oxford, it is one of the top five universities in the world, I do not look down on other universities as you are doing. 

Even if Thailand's eduction system is lower than yours or mine, it is still better to get and education in Thailand to obtain a better job than not get one.

My points have been about Thais who strive to get on in life and those who sit around waiting for a hand out. 

If you went to Oxford and ended up living in the third world, something went horrible wrong somewhere?

Unless of course you didn't?

I would think an Oxford grad could spell education correctly. 

Poor people work their asses off doing manual labor to survive.

Do you think that rice you eat comes from Oxford graduates working the fields?

People in Isaan are not sitting around with their hands out, there are doing manual labor everyday to survive.

You have no idea of the real Thailand outside of your westernized living/thinking in Thailand.

Yet you continue to argue with people who actually do live in Isaan and see it every day with their own eyes.

I would think someone that graduated from Oxford and his wife was a computer programmer in the UK, would have earned enough for a large country manor in the UK, not forced to living in the cheap third world Thailand?

16 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

If you went to Oxford and ended up living in the third world, something went horrible wrong somewhere?

Unless of course you didn't?

I would think an Oxford grad could spell education correctly. 

Poor people work their asses off doing manual labor to survive.

People in Isaan are not sitting around with their hands out, there are doing manual labor everyday to survive.

You have no idea of the real Thailand outside of your westernized living/thinking in Thailand.

Yet you continue to argue with people who actually do live in Isaan and see it every day with their own eyes.

I would think someone that graduated from Oxford and his wife was a computer programmer in the UK, would have earned enough for a large country manor in the UK, not forced to living in the cheap third world Thailand?

"If you went to Oxford and ended up living in the third world, something went horrible wrong somewhere?"

I live in England, is that a third world country? I do have a house in Phuket which I visit for six months at a time as I managed to retire at an early age.

"I would think an Oxford grad could spell education correctly."

I would have thought that anyone can make a typing mistake and not realise it at the time, don't you?

Only a crazy person would think that and only a crazy person would ask that question.

"People in Isaan are not sitting around with their hands out, there are doing manual labor everyday to survive."

We are not allowed to write in foreign languages on this site, only English is allowed and so please stick to the rules, change 'labor' to 'labour'.

And seeing as you are being petty, change 'there are'  to 'they are' in you sentence above.

"You have no idea of the real Thailand outside of your westernized living/thinking in Thailand."

You have no idea of how most Thai people are not poor and do not dig the ground as you only seem to associate with poor Thai people from Issan.

"I would think someone that graduated from Oxford and his wife was a computer programmer in the UK, would have earned enough for a large country manor in the UK, not forced to living in the cheap third world Thailand?"

You make assumptions base on your fantasies of the world I can see, I have visited Thailand for many decades to stay in my house in Phuket for long holidays but my main residence is in England and it is a very nice large house thanks.

I have visited the whole of Thailand more or less, many times, driving myself mostly around the country, would I want to live in a backwater in Issan? No, as you said more or less why would i want to live in a third world area?

54 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

You really have no understanding of Isaan what so ever.

How do people move with no money?

Where exactly do they move to?

What will they do for work when they move?

Thailand is full of wealthy people who made their wealth from corruption. Like the 400 million baht policemen in the news now. It is NOT full full of wealthy successful business people. Thailand has there 1% like every else. How many out of the population of 60 million are wealthy? Do the math if you can.

There are billions of people living in poverty around the world.

Isaan is just one location.

Do you even realize that?

I do realise that, but I wouldn't want to live in any of those areas either, people who live there don't have a choice, that is why they are there, why do foreigners choose to live there? Oh yes, they are broke too I can imagine and can not afford to live in the better advanced areas of Thailand. 

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Again, you were the one that continually stressed how "educated Thais" looked down on certain people.

I just merely pointed out that those "educated Thais" are themselves looked down upon a by a large swath of the global corporate community.......

There are 65 million or more Thais living in Thailand on a day to day basis, do you think they care about what a few thousand corporations in other countries think about them?

What you think of them has no affect on them, what Thais think and act on in Thailand has an affect on them.

These are not my making, I am merely reporting on what happens in Thailand. 

Topic will remain locked, at least for now, as it went way too far off the rails.

One member has been sent on holiday for a few days and we'd like to think he may reappraise his opinions and comment upon return.