News Forum - Plans for digital or crypto assets – the TAT Coin – to grow tourism

Thaiger

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is considering jumping into the world of digital assets by launching its own tourism-based utility token called the TAT Coin. Crypto is often looked at as the way of the future, and traders are considered high-value, big-spending tourists, especially those that work as digital nomads and stay long-term. Discussions are underway with the Securities and Exchange Commission about launching the TAT Coin solely as a voucher system to create liquidity for tourism business operators, and not as something tradable for the speculation market to avoid volatility. But before that can be approved, it needs to […]

The post Plans for digital or crypto assets – the TAT Coin – to grow tourism appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I was going to sell my BTC because of an opportunity to buy a bridge in Nigeria that I received an email about. This TAT opportunity sounds way better.

Edited by Lawyers_Guns_and_Money
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is considering jumping into the world of digital assets by launching its own tourism-based utility token called the TAT Coin.

They can't even use a calendar, April 1st is six months away.

29 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Why can't we just spend dollars, euros, or pounds? So the entire idea is to draw people who want to launder money through a vacation?  

Nail on the head - hit.   Same deal for those new Visas for 'Wealthy Expats'. 

Come in with your dirty money and you can take it back out all clean - less a small 'processing' charge. 

• Like 1

I think TAT employees read all the news items worldwide, and then think:  "Can we use that here to increase tourist numbers?"  They have no understanding of the real world, and no understanding of how that will affect the people or economy of Thailand (and dont care).   Then, when the 'boss' is convinced that it might work, they go right ahead and implement it - with very little planning discussions and no 'open forum' discussions about any possible downsides or problems.  The Phuket Sandbox comes to mind - just how many times has that polished turd been changed and modified - I have lost count. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Nail on the head - hit.   Same deal for those new Visas for 'Wealthy Expats'. 

Come in with your dirty money and you can take it back out all clean - less a small 'processing' charge. 

100% accurate with your assessment in my opinion and I suspect there will be a few condoning this proposal as it will play straight into their hands. The banks in North Cypress were untouchable at one stage, now stopped, but that was a similar scam as well that facilitated easy money laundering. Things haved moved on now of course with this "funny" digital currency making the running as the tool of choice.

2 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Why can't we just spend dollars, euros, or pounds? So the entire idea is to draw people who want to launder money through a vacation?  

They are learning from Joe Ferraris' mistakes, you have to hide the ill gotten gains not flaunt them and possibly lose them if caught out or thrown under the bus for show by Prayut and Co.

• Like 1

i am willing to bet that if you don't use your TAT coin after a certain period of time it becomes worthless. just like the food court cards at Terminal 21. five years from now forty million tourists leaving small amounts of TAT coin in their digital wallets adds up. 

also what ripoff "the palace is closed" exchange rate? 

If the objective is to attract the crypto owners, they just need to allow/help them to spend their cryptos !

I recently read some countries in South America are developing it. There is even a city in Mexico where the bitcoin has replace the peso. You can buy from from a coffee to an apartment using bitcoin. The city is booming now.

No need to reinvent the wheel

El Salvador started accepting Bitcoin last month as official currency along with the exiting USD. Needless to say it was a disaster. There were riots in the street and had to be pulled the first day as the system crashed. In addition that was the day of a large drop in value hurting the few who bought them. It’s still a work in process but it’s not going well so far. 

5 hours ago, miblish51 said:

NFTs are actually fully illegal. Also, it's worth noting that Bitkub will not do business with Americans.

Hi, what is exactly illegal about NFT ? I could not find proper info on it.

As I understand, simply saying,

NFT are tokens on a blockchain, same as crypto. If NFT are illegal, then crypto should be illegal as well. Or did I miss something ?

Thanks

10 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is considering jumping into the world of digital assets by launching its own tourism-based utility token called the TAT Coin.

Already a failure ….. won’t be able to be used with the Chinese ….

China declares all crypto-currency transactions illegal

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58678907

Why use a near enough untraceable type of payment for any other reason than to give any travel related organisation an extra reason for saying "no refund" ?

Anything to do with travel should be paid with credit card as it's the only way to receive a refund if any party defaults, and they will!!!

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

Crypto is Crapto.....TAT...Totally Amazing Thailand....Maybe when I retire I can consult to TAT.... ;)

Their entrance qualification is a full frontal lobotomy