My food seller likes to lick the food she sells. Does your favorite vendor lick your food? How would you know?

OneAngryJew

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

But the bigger question is, how does any of this 'Michelin star', 'Gordon Ramsay', 'English food sucks' address the issue of a complaint that a kitchen worker keeps using the same spoon over and over to sample dishes she is making?

It's a forum about Thailand. If the topic doesn't go off the rails within 3 or 4 posts it loses its legitimacy.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I see on this forum and another one English love to say their food is the best, best country, best education, best, best, best. 
Look down other people a lot, Chinese, Russia, India, especially Thai people, Thai man, Thai woman, Thai kids and Thailand. Complain, moan and groan,

But they move to live in Thailand. Very confusing.🤭

They will annoy read this post. Sure. 🤣

Same licking their food!

The very same people, when they go back to the U.K , they will be telling everyone about how nice and better that Thailand is and they will be complaining about the U.K .

Some people just like moaning and complaining 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fluke said:

The very same people, when they go back to the U.K , they will be telling everyone about how nice and better that Thailand is and they will be complaining about the U.K .

Some people just like moaning and complaining 

This is another topic that is turning into a mud slinging match, as most of the topics certain posters are involved in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2021 at 8:54 PM, 9S_ said:

Yea true. I’ve rarely had flu or cold here. But the most common disease I’ve had sometimes many times a year are diarrhea or gastrointestinal problems. 

I always have a bottle of the flying white rabbit with me and a few charcoal pills. 

In ten years I have never gotton sick eating in Thailand .

I always choose my places to eat very carefully , like making sure there are other people in the restaurant and having a quick glance at the cleanliness of the establishment . 

How do you manage to get diarrhea so often ? 

• Haha 2

<content deleted - your comment was even more inflammatory and I suggest putting certain others on IGNORE> 

Edited by KaptainRob
Inflammatory content removed

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Michelin guide for Thailand

https://www.timeout.com/bangkok/news/michelin-guide-thailand-2021-121620

Only 1* or 2* but I'm sure more will follow.

I don't think you realize how Michelin stars work

1 star is really hard to get 

2 is extremely hard to get 

3 is reserved for the very highest rated restaurants in the world 

There is 135 3* Michelin restaurants

I'm actually surprised that many

But the vast majority are fine dining

I'm not hugely into fine dining but some I would like to try 

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

As you can see in the videos from Thailand  , Gordon Ramsey is quite a respectful and polite nice guy.

When he is making food prorammes for television, he just acts rude and abusive .

It is why he is famous , people watch him on television because he gets angry and stressed out all the time  , so he does it on purpose 

I actually thought his original UK Kitchen Nightmares was great

He was extremely blunt but honest 

The US version was all acting and way over the top 

So, was the licked Som Tam delicious or not?

I happy Ramsay come to learn about our world famous food. Happy to help for him learn.

Next time maybe his friend can tell him

1) when you meet woman first time in Thailand, not your wife or girlfriend, not necessary to kiss their face. Saliva can spread hepatitis etc. Lot of germ. Not necessary shake hand in Thailand. Also spread a lot of germ. 
Not necessary touch Thai woman.

Thai woman really not want that. Stranger.

2) not say “f...” all the time. Especially with old people and on TV.

2133B401-3680-45D8-9BA7-3816EA5AB293.jpeg

1 hour ago, Transam said:

do wonder why you always run down farang food, when I do not recall Thai food being lambasted here.

Er. I say I like it.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:19 PM, Yinn said:

i like Italy food. Wood fire pizza, not Pizza Company one. Spaghetti with seafood tomato.
I try England breakfast, not so good. Germany food, not so good.
Ribs farang style I like. Oven potato. 
Farang salad. Fish and chip.

Always change what people say for argue.
Yawn.

Korean BarBQ my favorite food. Maybe to spicy for you.
Japan good same.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

So, was the licked Som Tam delicious or not?

I happy Ramsay come to learn about our world famous food. Happy to help for him learn.

Next time maybe his friend can tell him

1) when you meet woman first time in Thailand, not your wife or girlfriend, not necessary to kiss their face. Saliva can spread hepatitis etc. Lot of germ. Not necessary shake hand in Thailand. Also spread a lot of germ. 
Not necessary touch Thai woman.

Thai woman really not want that. Stranger.

2) not say “f...” all the time. Especially with old people and on TV.

2133B401-3680-45D8-9BA7-3816EA5AB293.jpeg

The Thai Chef also needs to learn not to stick his finger into Gordons cooking . 

Gordon was going to throw him into the river for doing that .

He wasnt happy about that 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fluke said:

Some immigrants to Thailand are trying to prove that British food is better than Thai food 

So, my question remains...how does that have anything do with a woman licking her spoon repeatedly in the preparation of her dishes?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

So, my question remains...how does that have anything do with a woman licking her spoon repeatedly in the preparation of her dishes?

I will just go back into the thread and re read it and find out for you 

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

This is another topic that is turning into a mud slinging match, as most of the topics certain posters are involved in.

Yep!

14 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I will just go back into the thread and re read it and find out for you 

I've read the whole thread.

This digression of whether English food is boring, and how many Michelin starts have been awarded in Thailand, and whether the clown's food is good or not are all far away from the topic of hygiene that was questioned in the OP.

None of the rest of the falafel has anything to do with the OP.

• Haha 1

Normally for somtum, the person making it has 2 spoons. One big spoon for scooping out onto a plate and he or she will use also that spoon to scoop out a little nibble of the papaya and transfer it to the small spoon to taste it. So it is not exactly licking or tasting from the main spoon.

Hand Of Woman Cooking Spicy Green Papaya Salad, Carrot And Herb In Wooden  Mortar, Street Food Vendor Make Som Tam In Thailand, Tha Stock Photo -  Image of bean, dinner: 119845928image.png.59b4cb43a1be38f47033c5cc0153e350.png

Also have seen many who will use the big spoon and take a small pieces off the side of the spoon with their fingers and then wipe their hands clean. Not exactly unsanitary. Even Michelin chefs and upscale chefs use their hands in the kitchen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

I've read the whole thread.

This digression of whether English food is boring, and how many Michelin starts have been awarded in Thailand, and whether the clown's food is good or not are all far away from the topic of hygiene that was questioned in the OP.

None of the rest of the falafel has anything to do with the OP.

Yes, the thread veered off topic a bit , how about getting it back on topic again ?

Threads sometimes veer off topic a bit and then come back to the topic soon after

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Normally for somtum, the person making it has 2 spoons. One big spoon for scooping out onto a plate and he or she will use also that spoon to scoop out a little nibble of the papaya and transfer it to the small spoon to taste it. So it is not exactly licking or tasting from the main spoon.

Hand Of Woman Cooking Spicy Green Papaya Salad, Carrot And Herb In Wooden  Mortar, Street Food Vendor Make Som Tam In Thailand, Tha Stock Photo -  Image of bean, dinner: 119845928image.png.59b4cb43a1be38f47033c5cc0153e350.png

Also have seen many who will use the big spoon and take a small pieces off the side of the spoon with their fingers and then wipe their hands clean. Not exactly unsanitary. Even Michelin chefs and upscale chefs use their hands in the kitchen.

If they are using the same ingredients every time using the same amount of ingredients , why would there be a need to taste it ? 

As it would taste the same every time .

47 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

All threads will veer on and off the subject, that’s what debate does and providing it doesn’t go too far off that’s fine, even providing different avenues of interest. 

However to directly answer your point, the spoon licking episode was indeed unhygienic, as are countless actions in the preparation of food here, but one poster went all gung ho in defence of her doing the indefenceable whilst claiming that Thai food is superior to western food which is clearly nonsense thus the introduction of the Michelin star comparison as general proof. I hope that helps. 

For the record if I go into a restaurant serving both Thai and English food I will have the Thai food 95% of the time as it’s my second favourite food in the world (after Indian) - I wasn’t slating thai food as if done well without swimming in old fat and 2 tons of sugar it’s fantastic, however just correcting an absurd statement by another poster easily undone by facts. 

Carry on … 😀

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Benroon said:

All threads will veer on and off the subject, that’s what debate does and providing it doesn’t go too far off that’s fine, even providing different avenues of interest. 

However to directly answer your point, the spoon licking episode was indeed unhygienic, as are countless actions in the preparation of food here, but one poster went all gung ho in defence of her doing the indefenceable whilst claiming that Thai food is superior to western food which is clearly nonsense thus the introduction of the Michelin star comparison as general proof. I hope that helps. 

For the record if I go into a restaurant serving both Thai and English food I will have the Thai food 95% of the time as it’s my second favourite food in the world (after Indian) - I wasn’t slating thai food as if done well without swimming in old fat and 2 tons of sugar it’s fantastic, however just correcting an absurd statement by another poster easily undone by facts. 

Carry on … 😀

You misunderstood :

When She mentioned "Clown felang food" , that was a reference to McDonalds , and the Ronald McDonald figure standing outside most McDonalds dressed as a clown, hence the term "Clowns food " , it wasn't a reference to ALL felang food, just a comparison with McDonalds 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

If they are using the same ingredients every time using the same amount of ingredients , why would there be a need to taste it ? 

As it would taste the same every time .

One reason is, lets just say for one chili, they are not always the same spice consistency. And if you actually look, they may look like they are adding the same amount of ingredients every time but they are actually not and the slightest even a smidgeon of a table spoon will throw the taste off. They do not weigh the papaya, or slow down to make sure exact fish sauce, msg, plah-rah (fermented fish sauce), palm sugar, tomato, bean, chili, crab, lime, dry tiny shrimp, etc.

So even though it is an art it is not ever always exact as added as again the tiniest thing can throw it off, so it is needed to adjust appropriately. So this is why.

Oh, add as edit. they do not make it the same every time for each person as it is called out how they want it, ie; sweet, less sweet, more spicy hot, less spicy, more shrimp, no peanuts want the fermented fish sauce, not want. etc 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fluke said:

In ten years I have never gotton sick eating in Thailand .

I always choose my places to eat very carefully , like making sure there are other people in the restaurant and having a quick glance at the cleanliness of the establishment . 

How do you manage to get diarrhea so often ? 

I only diarrhea when I eat falang food.  My system isn't adjusted to it. I don't it it often, but I did have Thai style homemade pizza last night. So far no problem

On 9/29/2021 at 9:25 PM, Yinn said:

Som tam must balance the flavor. Sweet, sour, spicy, salty together.

Must taste food before sell it. Must be good. 

Not necessary with clown farang food. Is tasteless or basic taste. 

Exagerrated Thaibashing. She not “lick” the food. She taste it.

Hiso nonsense comment. Thailand is not Third World. 

I do prefer local Somtam rather than a McDonalds( Clown food) which is indeed tasteless and basic , although I sometimes prefer a KFC rather than a Somtam .

I haven't been to a McDonalds (Clowns food) for a while , not since they raised the price of burger to 49 Baht overnight, when they were 29 Baht the previous day , but I certainly wouldn't appreciate it if the server opened my burger, took a bite out of it and said "Yep , that's just right" wrapped my burger back up and gave it to me 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Transam said:

I don't think Ronald McDonald is real, ya know.....🤔........................🤣.......🤪

I don't think that anyone thinks that Ronald McDonald is a real person, so, you are not alone in that thought process 

13 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I only diarrhea when I eat falang food.  My system isn't adjusted to it. I don't it it often, but I did have Thai style homemade pizza last night. So far no problem

Do keep us informed . 

1 hour ago, Transam said:

Eeeeeeer, what happened to your "farang food is tasteless rubbish".....Now come on...🤣

I don’t know.

you imagine that. 

Have you check Alzheimer’s? 

please quote me, use the quote feature, not make my quote yourself. Lie.

I not eat pla raa. Issan food from freshwater fish. Ranong have seafood, is better.

i do eat somtam, but Somtam thai. I know you will not know so I will explain = Is Somtam not have pla raa. 
many different type of somtam. More than 20.

My favorite is somtam thai kaopord kai kem. = Somtam Thai style with corn and salted egg. 
You say you cooking yourself. Try it. Make for your wife and kid. 

Not forget taste it before serving. Lick the spoon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4