My food seller likes to lick the food she sells. Does your favorite vendor lick your food? How would you know?

OneAngryJew

3 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I eat at more established/chain/international/mall restaurants because of this. When I lived near BKK airport I had some gastro problems, ever since I moved to central bangkok and only eat at restaurant chains/mall/grocery store/international restaurants I have yet to have any gastro issues.

Where you never get to see the cook lick a spoon .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Convert54 said:

So many idolize Gordon Ramsey  despite the fact he is no Chef but a very clever Restauranter! How many times  can anyone recall him abusing  his staff for not "tasting" their dish  ? Get real ! There multiple possibilities for bigger health issues in any kitchen than Chef tasting what they expect you to eat!

All chefs taste the food they are preparing, but they don't reuse the spoon/utensil

• Like 1

At a casual restaurant in Thailand before and a guy in the back kitchen was sneezing up a storm

My wife commented that means the food will be good because so spicy

She does not share your hygenic concerns 5555

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I couldn't imagine not eating street food in Thailand, or Asia in general

It is such an integral part of my visits to Asia

To each, his own. In my case, I think my reaction is based on the comment often referred to with other dishes, "If you knew how they made it you wouldn't eat it". I am wary about food hygiene, especially where there are no obvious facilities such as fresh water supply for hand-washing and cleaning of utensils.

12 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I eat at more established/chain/international/mall restaurants because of this. When I lived near BKK airport I had some gastro problems, ever since I moved to central bangkok and only eat at restaurant chains/mall/grocery store/international restaurants I have yet to have any gastro issues.

Your experience is top be expected. The gastro issues mainly stem from a non-local gut flora that is getting overwhelmed by the new bugs. Happened to me my first trip but hasn't happened since.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

To each, his own. In my case, I think my reaction is based on the comment often referred to with other dishes, "If you knew how they made it you wouldn't eat it". I am wary about food hygiene, especially where there are no obvious facilities such as fresh water supply for hand-washing and cleaning of utensils.

I refused to eat street food my 1st couple of trips

Then started to eat it and love it

Sickest I have ever been in Thailand was from a western restaurant indoors. Food poisoning for 4 days, absolutely floored

But it is whatever you prefer.....

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I've never bought street food in TH. On my very first walk in BKK, I saw a vendor preparing food alongside a drain, and immediately smelled the stagnant water from the drain. I've never been able to get rid of that sensory image since.

I've tried it but won't be buying it anymore lol, much better restaurants that charge around the same price, if not cheaper

13 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Your experience is top be expected. The gastro issues mainly stem from a non-local gut flora that is getting overwhelmed by the new bugs. Happened to me my first trip but hasn't happened since.

can't say i'll try again and find out if my body has adapted yet

1 round of musical chairs on the toilet is enough for me, actually wasn't that bad, just a night of gastro issues, i've had much worse

I thought it was the spice at first but now that i'm in central bangkok, i've had plenty of spicy food with no issues

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Yinn said:

She taste it. Not lick it. 
Different.
Ver.

How it taste?

What body part do you use to taste?

and what body part do you use to lick?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I've never bought street food in TH. On my very first walk in BKK, I saw a vendor preparing food alongside a drain, and immediately smelled the stagnant water from the drain. I've never been able to get rid of that sensory image since.

Goes to Thailand and never eats street food

Estelle Parsons What GIF by Joe Budden Network

• Haha 2
  • Cool 1

36 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

How many times  can anyone recall him abusing  his staff for not "tasting" their dish 

Does Gordon Ramsey use the same spoon to taste in all dishes? Does he use the same spoon that he tasted or licked to mix in other dishes for other customers as OP is claiming?

9 hours ago, Faraday said:

You think farang food is tasteless.....?

I'm getting on the outrage bus already....!!😀

For clarification:

When I was five years old, I attended a Catholic convent school, & was forced to eat cold boiled onions.

Believe me Yinn, they were not tasteless:

They tasted, disgusting!!!

😂😂😀😀

100% true story.

Most falang food is absplutely tastless, overcooked and full of fat. Yuck

8 hours ago, dj230 said:

I've tried it but won't be buying it anymore lol, much better restaurants that charge around the same price, if not cheaper

can't say i'll try again and find out if my body has adapted yet

1 round of musical chairs on the toilet is enough for me, actually wasn't that bad, just a night of gastro issues, i've had much worse

I thought it was the spice at first but now that i'm in central bangkok, i've had plenty of spicy food with no issues

Your immune system must be very weak. Do you also carry around a bottle of hand sanitizer to use after you shake hands. OMG

9 hours ago, OneAngryJew said:

You make excuses for licking my food?  Her tongue licks the spoon that touches my food.  She licked my food. 

Thai bashing?  I think not. 

Perhaps you like some hepatitis with your Som Tam.  Not me.

Get a hepatitis vaccine. Everything good.

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Your immune system must be very weak. Do you also carry around a bottle of hand sanitizer to use after you shake hands. OMG

Haha I actually always carried around hand sanitizer since I was a kid 

but haven’t been sick in a little over a decade so maybe it helps

Sharing utensils in Thailand is an everyday occurence and is helping to prolong Covid in my view.

Weddings, funerals, blessings, pork BBQ restaurants etc all provide a serving spoon but people still dip their own personal spoon into all the dishes.

As I type there is a neighbours family gathering to await the demise of the grandmother, all sharing spoons and shot glasses etc. No masks and hearty (drunken) laughter at 10 AM. She has dozens of grandchildren and all are coming home now from many provinces. Latest arrivals all from Phuket.

It is something that will never change. If it hasn't changed in a pandemic, it never will.

• Like 1

I have seen that a few times when the "chef" tastes the food before serving the food .

Often when making Somtam , it doesnt make sense to me . 

Surely if they make it the same way using the same ingredients every time, then it will taste the same everytime ?

I think the "chef" is just trying to look professional , like they are an expert or something .

*My professional opinion is that it needs another squeeze  lemon juice *

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Sharing utensils in Thailand is an everyday occurence and is helping to prolong Covid in my view.

Weddings, funerals, blessings, pork BBQ restaurants etc all provide a serving spoon but people still dip their own personal spoon into all the dishes.

As I type there is a neighbours family gathering to await the demise of the grandmother, all sharing spoons and shot glasses etc. No masks and hearty (drunken) laughter at 10 AM. She has dozens of grandchildren and all are coming home now from many provinces. Latest arrivals all from Phuket.

It is something that will never change. If it hasn't changed in a pandemic, it never will.

So let's put a mask on the serving spoons. 

12 hours ago, JamesE said:

I think a couple of things to note on the post. First, I'm pretty sure that som tam is hostile to all known forms of life. Second, "What does not kill me makes me stronger." Friedrich Nietzsche

Nietzshe's dead. Gruesome ending.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Convert54 said:

So many idolize Gordon Ramsey  despite the fact he is no Chef but a very clever Restauranter! How many times  can anyone recall him abusing  his staff for not "tasting" their dish  ? Get real ! There multiple possibilities for bigger health issues in any kitchen than Chef tasting what they expect you to eat!

What ??? He was trained under Marco Pierre White and worked under the Roux brothers, arguably the greatest chefs that have ever lived - where do you get this stuff from ???

I love the street food in Thailand.  We have a place we call "Food Street", not far from where we live, next to my MiL's.

The wife picks up food there a couple of times a week.  Tonight I'm having a "street food" bbq chicken wrap and split chicken breasts, held in a bamboo vise, cooked over a steady charcoal fire, with a nice spicy Thai sauce.

Lovely.

I've eaten street food in several counties.  The ones that disgust me the most are the Malay-run stalls in Malaysia.  Just like most of their restaurants...disgusting hygiene.