News Forum - Court rules for Health Ministry, calls dual pricing beneficial

Thaiger

In a closely-followed court case, the Administrative Court in Phetchaburi ruled that multi-tiered “dual pricing” in Thai hospitals are not discriminatory as they benefit Thailand. Ewrin Buse, who sued the Ministry of Public Health after discovering he was being charged more for his cancer treatment as a foreigner, vowed to appeal the decision. Erwin said the court took the Ministry at its word instead of fact-checking statements and that a recent change in how the Ministry defines labour costs allowed it to justify the dual pricing retroactively. The ruling seemed to be based solely on the assumption that foreigners have […]

The post Court rules for Health Ministry, calls dual pricing beneficial appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Splendid - the only rational outcome given not only Thai law but the identical system in Australia and most Western countries, and a system in the UK that doesn't just charge foreigners 100% of the full price, as Thailand does, but 150% of it.

Sheer and utter hypocrisy on the part of Erwin Buse and his entitled supporters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to see how it "benefits Thailand" or should that be "benefits certain people in Thailand" ?

I guess this is just one of any court case which we all know the direction it will go. 555

TIT.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think something that benefits one particular party is more likely to fall into the category "discrimination" than something that is balanced. So I think the words were chosen poorly.

My position still: if you know ahead of time that you'll be in a higher tier, you accept it or find somewhere else.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Graham said:

I'd love to see how it "benefits Thailand" or should that be "benefits certain people in Thailand" ?

I guess this is just one of any court case which we all know the direction it will go. 555

TIT.

Of course , its the people at the top who benefit as always

I don't really have a problem with dual pricing, but this statement is stupid on its face.

The pricing was set on an appropriate basis of socioeconomic status, and it benefits Thailand, so it therefore doesn’t count as discrimination.”

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I wonder what the international cout would say if European Union kicked out foreigners from e.g the Arabic or Asian countries or charged them twice the price at the hispitals and claimed  it was only done because it was beneficial for the European countries and definitely not a racist  decision 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

I wonder what the international cout would say if European Union kicked out foreigners from e.g the Arabic or Asian countries or charged them twice the price at the hispitals and claimed  it was only done because it was beneficial for the European countries and definitely not a racist  decision 

Well, apparently EU countries can raise their medical fees for everyone from outside the EU and quote the Thai court as a precedent. As long as it's everyone outside the EU and it benefits the EU, that's okay.

Funny thing is that the country the man who brought the case is from, has a fee system set by the government. Doctors and hospitals can't adjust the fees for anyone, neither local or foreigner. I guess he was used to that and expected it here too.

13 minutes ago, Rebel said:

EXACTLY!!!!!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rebel said:

The world would fall in. It would be plastered all across global news channels. Local people in the country would be out demonstrating against their own governments. Don’t forget the golden rule. You can’t claim racism against you if you are white. You can only hang your head in the shame of being born white and having white privilege.   

I forgot to add. You can’t disagree with that either. If you do then it’s absolute unquestionable evidence that you are a racist and part of the problem. You are deluded and in denial if you don’t agree. That’s golden rule number 2! 🙃

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Allegedly …

“The pricing was set on an appropriate basis of socioeconomic status, and it benefits Thailand, so it therefore doesn’t count as discrimination.”

Perfect …… the TAT’s next high season slogan!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

In a closely-followed court case, the Administrative Court in Phetchaburi ruled that multi-tiered “dual pricing” in Thai hospitals are not discriminatory as they benefit Thailand. Ewrin Buse, who sued the Ministry of Public Health after discovering he was being charged more for his cancer treatment as a foreigner, vowed to appeal the decision. Erwin said the court took the Ministry at its word instead of fact-checking statements and that a recent change in how the Ministry defines labour costs allowed it to justify the dual pricing retroactively. The ruling seemed to be based solely on the assumption that foreigners have […]

The post Court rules for Health Ministry, calls dual pricing beneficial appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well Surprise Surprise.

The result was predictable. But why can't they simply just say they are bias and discriminate. It is not exactly

a new revelation. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The world would fall in. It would be plastered all across global news channels. Local people in the country would be out demonstrating against their own governments. Don’t forget the golden rule. You can’t claim racism against you if you are white. You can only hang your head in the shame of being born white and having white privilege.   

PRECISELY!!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Well Surprise Surprise.

The result was predictable. But why can't they simply just say they are bias and discriminate. It is not exactly

a new revelation. 

Because in their indoctrinated upbringing they see nothing wrong in discrimination. Whilst you don't perhaps notice it with normal Thais those fortunate ones who had a higher education are in my experience are the worst. They care not whether it is foreigner or Thai, so long as it benefits their selfish selves. 

Question ….

Fees start to climb significantly at the third tier for people on non-immigrant visas like working foreigners and expats and costs often skyrocket for the fourth tier which includes international tourists and those who are retired in Thailand. The case cited example dual pricing for antibody screening where the first two tiers pay 130 baht and the expat tier pay 190 baht, but the fourth tier for tourists and retirees pay double the original price. 

Isn’t someone retired in Thailand on a Non-immigrant visa?

• Like 2

A first year law student in a so so US university would blow hole in the courts argument since the case is about discrimination, not societal benefit.  It seems the court does not understand the definition of the word discrimination as long as Thailand hospitals benefit.

• Like 4

Shame on you Thailand 

What a pathetic statement to make 

Administrative Court in Phetchaburi ruled that multi-tiered “dual pricing” in Thai hospitals are not discriminatory as they benefit Thailand. 

Not discriminatory as it benefits Thailand, says it all.

Shame 

Shame

Shame

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gummy said:

They care not whether it is foreigner or Thai, so long as it benefits their selfish selves. 

Exactly. It’s actually something worth bearing in mind. They will cheat each other, so what chance have foreigners got. I’ve been searching for years, but I think it’s what they fondly refer to as “Thainess”

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

It seems the court does not understand the definition of the word discrimination

Of course not, we all know Thai struggles with English ….. hence importing English teachers to bring the level of Thai students up to a required level.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Isn’t someone retired in Thailand on a Non-immigrant visa?

I don’t believe there is an official status in Thailand as “retired”. You are there as a “non-immigrant” with a type O visa. Your period of stay has been extended on the basis of retirement. Subtle use of words but import when it comes to legal matters. It can also change in the blink of an eye! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Graham said:

I would have thought that was obvious - it "benefits Thailand" because Thailand isn't paying to subsidise the medical costs for those foreigners who have contributed nothing to the state health system (Tier 4), while it continues to subsidise foreigners who have (Tier 3).

It's all relative. Here we complain about multi-tier pricing. A principle.

But in my experience the highest tier in a private hospital wasn't a quarter of the costs in Europe.

I don't agree with the reasons for the courtcase outcome as they are presented.

But we know the tier system here.

So that's what you will pay.

If you want to (and can) limit your risks, insure yourself.

If not, pay the bill.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rebel said:

But European countries do charge "foreigners", unless they're residents or taxpayers, in exactly the same way.

Name any that don't. Any at all.

England doesn't just charge them the full price, as Thailand does, but charges them an additional 50% more!

• Thanks 2