News Forum - Thailand’s Special Tourist Visa scheme extended until September 2022

Thaiger

The long-stay tourist visa has been extended for another year. The Special Tourist Visa scheme, or STV, was launched last year to draw in travellers from overseas in an effort to revive the crippled tourism industry. The visa allows 90 day stay and can be extended twice, allowing a stay in Thailand of up to 9 months. The visa scheme was one of government’s first attempts to draw in foreign visitors and boost the economy, which has been battered by the halt of international tourism. Some consider the effort to be a major failure, with a low number of visitors […]

The post Thailand’s Special Tourist Visa scheme extended until September 2022 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"While the visa and extensions allow a stay up to 270 days, a government spokesperson says the average stay for STV holders was around 90 days."

This is one idea of Thailand's that should be extended as part of a series of reforms to assist the tourism industry. In fact, this "Special" tourist visa should become the "Normal" tourist visa (for most countries) and the current 'tourist' visa should be binned and forgotten.

First and foremost, this is an ideal visa for 'Snowbirds'; people, usually elderly, who come to Thailand for 3-6 months every year to escape winter. The current guidelines force many to go do a 'Border Bounce', and I know of several who leave and go home rather than bother. Second, it would encourage other travelers to stay in country longer; again, I know of several people who have left Thailand for Cambodia/Vietnam and/or Malaysia not because they wanted to, but simply because they had to. Finally, it would simply piss people off less; it makes long-staying visitors annoyed to have to go to Immigration several times during a visit to Thailand, anything that cuts down on annoyance is good.

Would it mean a slight reduction in Government fees (IO pocket money)? Yes, but it would likely increase the number of tourists and still provide a reasonable income. And, if it cost the government too much, just increase the fee for extension to 2,900 rather than 1,900. Problem solved.

Yes, I know, waaaay too logical and easy, but... I am a dreamer of dreams!

Edited by Shade_Wilder

Another good plan from TAT. 
Some will complain because TAT do it. 

Welcome to Amazing Thailand. 

Also have some information. Yesterday I come to Phuket. Before swap test at Chatchai/Sarasin Bridge is 500 baht. Now is only 350 baht. Same for foreigners. 
Very quickly, about 15 minutes.

My hotel 75% discount and upgrade room for 100baht!!!!!!

Many restaurant is open. Some is busy. Central is open. Many hotel open. Feel like Phuket start life again. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The long-stay tourist visa has been extended for another year. The Special Tourist Visa scheme, or STV

mmmmm left hand this is right hand over …..

Special Tourist Visa (STV) will not be extended after 30 September 2021.

Please DO NOT apply for STV after 30 June 2021 and applicants must arrive in Thailand before 3 July 2021 if they wish to extend their stay after 90 days. Application to extend their stay in Thailand must be submitted before 30 September 2021.**

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/special-tourist-visa-stv-will-not-be-extended-after-30-september-2021?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072de

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The Special Tourist Visa scheme, …..

The scheme, which was first approved last October and initially set to end tomorrow, will now end on September 30, 2022.

applicants must arrive in Thailand before 3 July 2021

So in reality it ended when? When you could finally use it, apply for it, or whisper its name in a public space?

Will it be cancelled like in July this year, in July next year?

• Haha 1

It would make a lot more sense to do this scheme AFTER the pandemic is under control and not during it. Maybe just then there will be better results.

7 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

It would make a lot more sense to do this scheme AFTER the pandemic is under control and not during it. Maybe just then there will be better results.

Logic hasn't prevented them from doing anything yet, so why stop now? 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:
"While the visa and extensions allow a stay up to 270 days, a government spokesperson says the average stay for STV holders was around 90 days."

This is one idea of Thailand's that should be extended as part of a series of reforms to assist the tourism industry. In fact, this "Special" tourist visa should become the "Normal" tourist visa (for most countries) and the current 'tourist' visa should be binned and forgotten.

First and foremost, this is an ideal visa for 'Snowbirds'; people, usually elderly, who come to Thailand for 3-6 months every year to escape winter. The current guidelines force many to go do a 'Border Bounce', and I know of several who leave and go home rather than bother. Second, it would encourage other travelers to stay in country longer; again, I know of several people who have left Thailand for Cambodia/Vietnam and/or Malaysia not because they wanted to, but simply because they had to. Finally, it would simply piss people off less; it makes long-staying visitors annoyed to have to go to Immigration several times during a visit to Thailand, anything that cuts down on annoyance is good.

Would it mean a slight reduction in Government fees (IO pocket money)? Yes, but it would likely increase the number of tourists and still provide a reasonable income. And, if it cost the government too much, just increase the fee for extension to 2,900 rather than 1,900. Problem solved.

Yes, I know, waaaay too logical and easy, but... I am a dreamer of dreams!

Couldn’t agree more @Shade_Wilder  as someone who falls in to the category of staying between 90-150 days during winter months in Europe, this is a perfect solution. Previously I had multiple entry Nom-O and did the border run after 90 days. What has been pointed out, is that it isn’t clear of this is the “reintroduction” of the STV or is associated with extending for those already holding such a visa ??? I hope it’s reintroduction ? 

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

What has been pointed out, is that it isn’t clear

Remember this is Thailand. It does not require pointing out, just saying Thailand should be sufficient.

• Haha 1

The STV visa was perfect for my wife & me. We're working in our homeland in the summer, and stay in Thailand during the winter. As we already applied for OA, this news came a bit to late....

STV would have been enough, and I guess is that we're not the only snowbirds. Sincerely hope they would keep this visa in the future...

This is excellent news.  I was planning to go to Thailand in spring of 2022, glad to know I can stay for up to nine months, worry free. Looks like the TAT is good for something!

I am confused, has the ability to apply for the scheme been extended for another year meaning we can apply now, or does it mean the visas for people already in Thailand have been extended for a year?

I ask this as looking at the official Thai Embassy website in London, it states the Scheme has already ended and tells us not to apply.

16 hours ago, JamesR said:

I am confused, has the ability to apply for the scheme been extended for another year meaning we can apply now, or does it mean the visas for people already in Thailand have been extended for a year?

I ask this as looking at the official Thai Embassy website in London, it states the Scheme has already ended and tells us not to apply.

It's available on the Thai Embassy DC website, offered until Sept 2022 already.

No change on the Thai Embassy London information yet.
Maybe take a few days, or the possibility they're not going to offer it.  🙁

• Like 1