Hair Clippers - bad experience

Bluesofa

Although my thread is not exactly where to buy, but more of a 'buyer beware' regarding buying online.

Last week I was looking for some hair clippers, the last one we had my wife had ordered, were rechargeable and came from China.
To be fair they have lasted almost two years before my wife's ham-fisted brother borrowed them again to cut his son's hair, only to tell her they had 'broken'.
I thought I'd look for a mains powered pair of hair clippers, to avoid having to recharge them for 24 hours in advance.

I looked on Lazada for some that didn't come from China. Hey presto! A Philips one for 900 Baht.
There was a photo of the box too, showing they were Philips. I asked the seller for the model number just to check. The seller replied with a model number and said they were genuine, not a copy.
I couldn't find the model on the Philips website, but thought perhaps it was a regional model not listed, seeing as they were genuine. I ordered them

They arrived. I plugged them in just to check they worked - fine. I looked at the item. On the back of the hair clippers it said 'Made In China' On the front of the clippers it said Philips.
Then I noticed on the box where it said 'Philips' - it was only a sticker, not put on quite straight either. I called Philips who confirmed they were not a genuine product.
When the inevitable Lazada customer satisfaction email arrived I gave the seller a bed rating and told Lazada they had deliberately lied to me about the product, and to tell them to stop doing that.
I'm keeping the hair clippers, see how they perform.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Although my thread is not exactly where to buy, but more of a 'buyer beware' regarding buying online.

Last week I was looking for some hair clippers, the last one we had my wife had ordered, were rechargeable and came from China.
To be fair they have lasted almost two years before my wife's ham-fisted brother borrowed them again to cut his son's hair, only to tell her they had 'broken'.
I thought I'd look for a mains powered pair of hair clippers, to avoid having to recharge them for 24 hours in advance.

I looked on Lazada for some that didn't come from China. Hey presto! A Philips one for 900 Baht.
There was a photo of the box too, showing they were Philips. I asked the seller for the model number just to check. The seller replied with a model number and said they were genuine, not a copy.
I couldn't find the model on the Philips website, but thought perhaps it was a regional model not listed, seeing as they were genuine. I ordered them

They arrived. I plugged them in just to check they worked - fine. I looked at the item. On the back of the hair clippers it said 'Made In China' On the front of the clippers it said Philips.
Then I noticed on the box where it said 'Philips' - it was only a sticker, not put on quite straight either. I called Philips who confirmed they were not a genuine product.
When the inevitable Lazada customer satisfaction email arrived I gave the seller a bed rating and told Lazada they had deliberately lied to me about the product, and to tell them to stop doing that.

I think I bought the same one. Definitely different from the pictures because the box has an extra “L”

They work just fine. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

I think I bought the same one. Definitely different from the pictures because the box has an extra “L”

They work just fine. 

I must have bought mine from a better educated cheat, the Philips sticker (and the hair clippers) have only one 'L'!

20210926_140540-500w.jpg

20210926_140406-500w.jpg
Perhaps I should be surprised it wasn't spelt 'Phirips'

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

If you find that the oscillating speed of the cutting teeth fluctuate greatly giving a very close extremely ragged trim resembling something the cat had chewed, then you know what you received is exactly the same as those used by the RTP and RTA 😂

I'm waiting for my personal barber to cut my hair with them. Hopefully 'cut' as opposed to 'drag' the hair out.
As I'm sure we're all aware, Wednesdays is unlucky hair-cutting day (whereas Thursdays is no nail-cutting day).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I'm waiting for my personal barber to cut my hair with them. Hopefully 'cut' as opposed to 'drag' the hair out.
As I'm sure we're all aware, Wednesdays is unlucky hair-cutting day (whereas Thursdays is no nail-cutting day).

Barber as in male ?

13 minutes ago, gummy said:

Barber as in male ?

OK, barberess or is it barberossa?
Whichever, it's still my wife in charge of electrocuting me if the clippers fail.

Just now, Bluesofa said:

OK, barberess or is it barberossa?
Whichever, it's still my wife in charge of electrocuting me if the clippers fail.

That's fine, you just had me wondering for a while there. Glad you cleared that up 😉

Just now, gummy said:

That's fine, you just had me wondering for a while there. Glad you cleared that up 😉

Hopefully she won't have to clear the blood up off the floor in an electrocution accident.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Road test report on the copy-Philips hair trimmer.
My wife cut my hair a couple of days ago and I'm still here to tell the tale.

There are seven different length attachments. The second-shortest being 3mm, hence my wife giving me a number two - don't snigger boy.

She discovered the trimmer has two speeds, there's nothing in the instructions that mention this. The slower speed is quite sufficient. The faster speed is too noisy when it's pressed on your scalp.

All-in-all the product was good on the first use. Just a pity the seller had to lie, claiming it was a real Philips product.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I bought my Breville trimmer set in Aus 12 or more years ago, still have it here in Thailand, just bent the prongs to fit the socket. But from day one, I feel the bloody thing rips more hair than it cuts. 70 baht for a "skin head" at a salon is totally worth it to me, especially with the powder and slap treatment. Why do the trimmers the parlors use feel so smooth? I cringe when the missus sais "time for a hair cut".

6 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

I bought my Breville trimmer set in Aus 12 or more years ago, still have it here in Thailand, just bent the prongs to fit the socket. But from day one, I feel the bloody thing rips more hair than it cuts. 70 baht for a "skin head" at a salon is totally worth it to me, especially with the powder and slap treatment. Why do the trimmers the parlors use feel so smooth? I cringe when the missus sais "time for a hair cut".

The only Breville product I can ever remember was a toasted sandwich maker.

Perhaps if your Breville became faulty you'd end up 'toast'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

The only Breville product I can ever remember was a toasted sandwich maker.

Perhaps if your Breville became faulty you'd end up 'toast'.

It would be nice to get a combined Sandwich Maker & Hair -Clippers, don't you think?

Then if one was to cut off too much of one's hair, one could console oneself with a nice toasted sandwich.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

It would be nice to get a combined Sandwich Maker & Hair -Clippers, don't you think?

Then if one was to cut off too much of one's hair, one could console oneself with a nice toasted sandwich.

I have a combined Sandwich maker + Hair Clipper, works very well, also has some other great functions ( nudge nudge, wink wink ).

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I have a combined Sandwich maker + Hair Clipper, works very well, also has some other great functions ( nudge nudge, wink wink ).

What does a 7/11 employee have to do with Breville?🙂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

What does a 7/11 employee have to do with Breville?🙂

Finding the right bread for the toaster is very important when you go into the 7 Eleven.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/29/2021 at 9:05 AM, Bluesofa said:

back of the hair clippers it said 'Made In China' On the front of the clippers it said Philips.

Very helpful warning.  Thank you, Bluesofa, for posting.

Is there a part of this forum devoted to tricks, cheats and scams.  Would be highly useful. (But likely would get out of hand very quickly with tons of posts, eh?)