Thailand re-entry - Questions.

farang

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Thanks for that @Faz  it was item 2 “Travel booking confirmation” I was eluding to. I take this to mean a return flight (although it’s odd you would pay an airfare before you get a visa?! If that does mean the air ticket, then I’m assuming they would question why I’m applying for a 60 day tourist visa but don’t have plans to leave until day 88 or 89. As I say, I’ve been doing this for literally years and never had any such problems at the consulate. I just wonder if anyone else has been down this path with the London Embassy? 

This was the confusion I ran into getting my TV a couple of weeks ago. For some reason (?) the CoE and eVisa systems don't realize they have different instructions. So CoE says 1) Get a visa, 2)Get preapproved CoE, 3)Book your flights/AQ/SHA+, 4)Get your CoE. But the visa system says: Show us your flights.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamesE said:

This was the confusion I ran into getting my TV a couple of weeks ago. For some reason (?) the CoE and eVisa systems don't realize they have different instructions. So CoE says 1) Get a visa, 2)Get preapproved CoE, 3)Book your flights/AQ/SHA+, 4)Get your CoE. But the visa system says: Show us your flights.

Yes I queried that with the embassy and highlighting the problem. They emailed back with a link for the visa application and one for the CoE application 😂😂

Were you looking to do as I am 60 days then extend? How did you resolve the issue? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I queried that with the embassy and highlighting the problem. They emailed back with a link for the visa application and one for the CoE application 😂😂

Were you looking to do as I am 60 days then extend? How did you resolve the issue? 

Sadly, no. Can't get away for that long. But I did book a return ticket for December that I have no intention of using except in an emergency. Flight schedules are so up in the air right now, merely having a ticket really has nothing to do with actually taking that flight.

I'd just book tickets for your maximum stay and if (for some unknown reason - like they finally got the warrant from Interpol) they deny your extension, just change the dates. Most airlines are waiving change fees and would probably waive the fees anyway because it was an "involuntary change" forced upon you by immigration. As others have said, the rules are vague and contradictory.

Something else to consider if the rules where you live are similar to the US. We get a 24-hour grace period to cancel a flight booking without penalty. If so, you can book and pay for a ticket, get the itinerary and receipt, and then cancel that one and only book one-way on the same flight. Not that I'd recommend this obviously deceptive and probably illegal method for anybody else, but I'd do it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Sadly, no. Can't get away for that long. But I did book a return ticket for December that I have no intention of using except in an emergency. Flight schedules are so up in the air right now, merely having a ticket really has nothing to do with actually taking that flight.

I'd just book tickets for your maximum stay and if (for some unknown reason - like they finally got the warrant from Interpol) they deny your extension, just change the dates. Most airlines are waiving change fees and would probably waive the fees anyway because it was an "involuntary change" forced upon you by immigration. As others have said, the rules are vague and contradictory.

Something else to consider if the rules where you live are similar to the US. We get a 24-hour grace period to cancel a flight booking without penalty. If so, you can book and pay for a ticket, get the itinerary and receipt, and then cancel that one and only book one-way on the same flight. Not that I'd recommend this obviously deceptive and probably illegal method for anybody else, but I'd do it.

Thanks for your help and advice @JamesE. I’ll most likely book a flight out with the period of the visa application and then move that when I get the extension. If not, I run the risk of either visa application or the CoE being rejected. It’s just less hassle that way. Hopefully it’s a one off as the next time I return in June/July 2022, life will be returning to normal. Hopefully all the COE nonsense will hopefully be stopped by then?! Thanks again for taking the time to reply 👍🏻

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Amazing! After asking question about 60 day TV’s and extending. Look what i just read in the BKK Post!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2189067/special-tourist-visa-programme-extended

"Ask and ye shall receive." Looks like the Universe was listening.

But about the STV... Over the past year the STV has brought in about the same number of tourists that arrive every couple of weeks into the Phuket Sandbox. So the response, once again, is: "Hey, this didn't work! Let's keep doing it!"

(My guess is they extended it just for you.)

14 minutes ago, JamesE said:

"Ask and ye shall receive." Looks like the Universe was listening.

But about the STV... Over the past year the STV has brought in about the same number of tourists that arrive every couple of weeks into the Phuket Sandbox. So the response, once again, is: "Hey, this didn't work! Let's keep doing it!"

(My guess is they extended it just for you.)

Well I forgot to mention that I have a few compromising pictures of Uncle Tu so maybe that swung it 😂😂. But as we know, TIT so anything can happen in the next 48 hours. But it will certainly help me with my plans. Cheers 👍🏻

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Amazing! After asking question about 60 day TV’s and extending. Look what i just read in the BKK Post!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2189067/special-tourist-visa-programme-extended

They haven't informed the Thai Embassies yet!

Requirements for foreigners travelling to Thailand during COVID-19 travel restriction (until 30 September 2021) and Requirements for the Phuket Sandbox - Royal Thai Embassy, London

Special Tourist Visa (STV) : for stay up to 90 days with possible extension of 90 days twice)

**STV cannot be extended after 30 September 2021. Please DO NOT apply for STV after 30 June 2021 and applicants must arrive in Thailand before 3 July 2021 if they wish to extend their stay after 90 days. Application to extend their stay in Thailand must be submitted before 30 September 2021.**

The downside to the STV is the extra requirement for the 400/40K Health Insurance.
 6. Copy of health insurance policy which covers medical expenses in Thailand for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht, and COVID-19 related medical expenses no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand --  Please check < http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Faz said:

@Soidog for a stay of less than 90 days, I'd still personally stick with the TV entry plan.

Yes I agree though I’d actually like to stay around 130-150 days. Normally I do that by doing 90 then going away for a week or so and getting another 60 day TV. 
As this option may be closed to me or require a further period of quarantine etc, then the STV  could be a saviour ??

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes I agree though I’d actually like to stay around 130-150 days. Normally I do that by doing 90 then going away for a week or so and getting another 60 day TV. 
As this option may be closed to me or require a further period of quarantine etc, then the STV  could be a saviour ??

The STV has already quite some time been phased-out.  Your last chance of using that temporary option was when entering Thailand BEFORE 3 July, and even then you were not able anymore to extend it.  As FAZ mentioned higher > the now fully obsolete STV information has not been removed from many Thai Embassy websites, obviously putting people on the wrong foot by providing the impression that it is still an option.  Amazing chaotic Thailand bureaucracy...

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

Unless border-restrictions and quarantaine rules would be lifted at the end of the 60 day permission to stay a Single-Entry Tourist Visa will provide you (and which can be extended ONCE for an additional 30 days at an Immigration Office), it would be very inconvenient for you having to leave the country and apply for a new 60-day Tourist Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate abroad (or re-enter Visa Exempt) like you used to do.

With no view on border-restrictions and quarantaine rules being lifted AND wanting to stay 130-150 days, it would be advised to go for one of the following options:

#1 - Apply for the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa at the London Thai Embassy > that Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you with almost 2 years of Immigration hassle-free stay in Thailand with NO need to park/transfer funds to a personal Thai bank-account, and NO need to apply for extensions at your local Immigration office.  Although the Non Imm O-A Visa is often referred to as a 'retirement Visa' you do NOT need to be retired or receive pension to apply for it, you only need to be +50 years of age to be eligible for that Visa and meet the additional requirements.

#2 - Apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at the London Thai Embassy > you can do that for reason of retirement (i.e. over 50 years of age) or for reason of marriage (married to a Thai national).  Once in Thailand and in the last month of the 90-day permission to stay that Non Imm O Visa will provide you on entry, you can then apply at your local Immigration Office for a 1-year extension of stay based on that original Non Imm O Visa.  Be aware that when doing so you would need to provide evidence of having seasoned either 800.000 THB or 400.000 THB (retirement / marriage) on a personal Thai bank-account for at least 2 months at date of application.

#3 - Entering Thailand VisaExempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa > those options will provide you with a 45-day or 60-day permission to stay on entry  (and both can be extended ONCE for an additional 30 days).  When you still have at least 15 days (some Imm Offices require 23 days) left on the permission to stay, you can then apply at your local Immigration Office for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (either for retirement or for reason of marriage).  And in the last month of the 90-day permission to stay that Visa will provide you, you can then apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that original Non Imm O Visa < see #2 >.

= = = = =

In your case option #3 will probably have your preference, as it allows you to 'bet' whether border-restrictions/quarantaine rules would be lifted by the time your VE or TV permission to stay expires (and you could use the ONE time 30 day extension on both).  If restrictions are lifted by then, a simple border-run and returning VisaExempt can provide you with an additional 30+30 day permission to stay, and will up your initial total days of 45+30 (VE) or 60+30 (TV), thus providing a total 135 days when having entered Visa Exempt or a total of 150 days when having entered on a 60-day Tourist Visa.

And if crossing the border is still to cumbersome by the time your initial permission to stay expires, you could then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local Immigration office. 

1 hour ago, BlueSphinx said:

The STV has already quite some time been phased-out.  Your last chance of using that temporary option was when entering Thailand BEFORE 3 July, and even then you were not able anymore to extend it.  As FAZ mentioned higher > the now fully obsolete STV information has not been removed from many Thai Embassy websites, obviously putting people on the wrong foot by providing the impression that it is still an option.  Amazing chaotic Thailand bureaucracy...

The Bangkok Post is referring to this:

904287739_21.3.1STVregulationsforextension.jpg.9d581240397f91947255a9d3a1f17fab.jpg

The article is rather ambiguously written as it only refers to applying to extend your stay for a further year.
It doesn't confirm that Thai Embassies that previously stopped issuing the STV's will restart issuing them.
Lack of transparency and communication between the MFA and Immigration departments.

Unless the Thai Embassies start to offer the STV again, it's not going to attract further 'long term' tourists, at best just allow some already here on the STV to remain longer, although I'd guess some have already departed and flown home.

Another email to the Embassy ? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

For the Health Insurance, LMG is the cheapest, but I would assume regardless of how long you intend to stay, the policies will be for 1 years cover.

On 9/28/2021 at 12:44 AM, Marc26 said:

And it's also ridiculous to put the onus on the country to know if your personal health insurance would cover you, how would that work practically?

I think a letter from the insurance company attesting to the fact the insured had global coverage to a certain USD amount should be sufficient.  My insurance company was happy to provide one of those when I asked.

It's up to the Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs to accept that if they want farang to visit, they only need to insure they are insured, regardless of what country the insurance company is from.

4 hours ago, Faz said:

For the Health Insurance, LMG is the cheapest, but I would assume regardless of how long you intend to stay, the policies will be for 1 years cover.

Thanks Faz, much appreciated. I’ll certainly look in to them.

When I come to Thailand I always have good travel insurance (I know that’s not the same as required for STV) and all I want to do is spend around 100,000-150,000 baht a month enjoying the fine weather, travelling, enjoying the sea food, and meeting friends. If I get sick, all costs covered. If I die costs all covered and body repatriated. I don’t work or be a drain on Thai resources at all. Why does it feel so difficult? 🤔🤔

6 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

Unless border-restrictions and quarantaine rules would be lifted at the end of the 60 day permission to stay a Single-Entry Tourist Visa will provide you (and which can be extended ONCE for an additional 30 days at an Immigration Office), it would be very inconvenient for you having to leave the country and apply for a new 60-day Tourist Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate abroad (or re-enter Visa Exempt) like you used to do.

With no view on border-restrictions and quarantaine rules being lifted AND wanting to stay 130-150 days, it would be advised to go for one of the following options:

#1 - Apply for the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa at the London Thai Embassy > that Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you with almost 2 years of Immigration hassle-free stay in Thailand with NO need to park/transfer funds to a personal Thai bank-account, and NO need to apply for extensions at your local Immigration office.  Although the Non Imm O-A Visa is often referred to as a 'retirement Visa' you do NOT need to be retired or receive pension to apply for it, you only need to be +50 years of age to be eligible for that Visa and meet the additional requirements.

#2 - Apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at the London Thai Embassy > you can do that for reason of retirement (i.e. over 50 years of age) or for reason of marriage (married to a Thai national).  Once in Thailand and in the last month of the 90-day permission to stay that Non Imm O Visa will provide you on entry, you can then apply at your local Immigration Office for a 1-year extension of stay based on that original Non Imm O Visa.  Be aware that when doing so you would need to provide evidence of having seasoned either 800.000 THB or 400.000 THB (retirement / marriage) on a personal Thai bank-account for at least 2 months at date of application.

#3 - Entering Thailand VisaExempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa > those options will provide you with a 45-day or 60-day permission to stay on entry  (and both can be extended ONCE for an additional 30 days).  When you still have at least 15 days (some Imm Offices require 23 days) left on the permission to stay, you can then apply at your local Immigration Office for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (either for retirement or for reason of marriage).  And in the last month of the 90-day permission to stay that Visa will provide you, you can then apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that original Non Imm O Visa < see #2 >.

= = = = =

In your case option #3 will probably have your preference, as it allows you to 'bet' whether border-restrictions/quarantaine rules would be lifted by the time your VE or TV permission to stay expires (and you could use the ONE time 30 day extension on both).  If restrictions are lifted by then, a simple border-run and returning VisaExempt can provide you with an additional 30+30 day permission to stay, and will up your initial total days of 45+30 (VE) or 60+30 (TV), thus providing a total 135 days when having entered Visa Exempt or a total of 150 days when having entered on a 60-day Tourist Visa.

And if crossing the border is still to cumbersome by the time your initial permission to stay expires, you could then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local Immigration office. 

Thanks for the information. As you will appreciate, having been doing this for the last 15 years, I’m reasonably familiar with the various options, though the problem is keeping on top of all the small,  though sometimes significant changes.

I have considered the Non-O route (I used to get a multiple entry Non-O at my local consulate. £100 once a year and done!). I was told by the London Embassy a few months ago that I can only get a Non-OA, although on checking the website last night this seems to have changed again! My understanding with that visa is that unlike extending it on the grounds of retirement with a Non-O, you need proper health insurance for a Non-OA? You also have to do the health check and police criminal record check for the OA. Both of which I can do, but another couple of hurdles.  All considered and if I could get the Non-O in London then that’s the option I will go for though I could only stay 90 days and hope border restrictions are eased?? You will have seen that the BKK Post ran and article saying the STV was being reintroduced for another year! 

I guess I was spoiled pre 2013 when I could simply get the one year multi Non-O giving me 90 days. I use to do a quick border run or have a night in Loas, Cambodia or a weekend in Malaysia and back in for another 90 days. Those were the days 🎉🎉 

4 hours ago, Faz said:

The Bangkok Post is referring to this:

904287739_21.3.1STVregulationsforextension.jpg.9d581240397f91947255a9d3a1f17fab.jpg

The article is rather ambiguously written as it only refers to applying to extend your stay for a further year.
It doesn't confirm that Thai Embassies that previously stopped issuing the STV's will restart issuing them.
Lack of transparency and communication between the MFA and Immigration departments.

Unless the Thai Embassies start to offer the STV again, it's not going to attract further 'long term' tourists, at best just allow some already here on the STV to remain longer, although I'd guess some have already departed and flown home.

Another email to the Embassy ? 

Interesting and disappointing @Faz. Do you read this article in the BKK Post as meaning a further extension for people who already hold the visa, not a reintroduction of the scheme to new applicants? 

The opening paragraph which states the following made me think it was open to new applicants as it says “to woo”   If it was for people already there then they have already been “wooed” 😬

The cabinet resolved on Tuesday to extend the Special Tourist Visa (STV) programme for one year until Sept 30 next year to woo well-to-do visitors.

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Interesting and disappointing @Faz. Do you read this article in the BKK Post as meaning a further extension for people who already hold the visa, not a reintroduction of the scheme to new applicants? 

The STV allowed one entry of 90 days, followed by a further 2 x 90 day extensions (90 - 270 days) without the requirement to cross a border (closed).

From the article, it suggests the cabinet have approved to extend the 'program'. If it purely meant to extend the deadline date for further 90 day extension applications, most existing tourist still in Thailand on an STV would almost certainly have already extended at least once - so why mention a 1 year extension to the program, unless the Thai Embassies are going to offer the STV again.
The MFA regulate the Thai Embassies and the Visa types they offer, whilst the Immigration Bureau deal with internal Immigration procedures, such as the 90 day extensions.

Both Government departments need to be officially notified, which is usually via pony snail express.
There has been no official announcement as yet by either Immigration or the Thai Embassies.
Everything takes time to go through official channels in Thailand, the term 'urgent' is non existent.

I'd send the Bangkok Post article to the Thai Embassy London for comment - it may be the first they've heard about it and you may get a definitive answer.

The Thai Embassy, Washington DC appear to have received the update:
3) Special Tourist Visa (STV)

(Special Tourist Visa (STV) will be in effect until 30 September 2022)

The following conditions are for applicants who wish to apply for a Special Tourist Visa (STV)

• STV is valid for a single entry into Thailand for long-term tourism purposes only.
  • STV is valid for 3 months from the date of issuance. Travelers must enter Thailand within the said 3-month period. They will be allowed to stay in Thailand for a period of up to 90 days, counting from the date of entry. STV may be extended twice while the visitor is in Thailand for a period of up to 90 days per each extension.
  • STV cannot be changed to any other type of visa during the duration of stay in Thailand.
  • If the STV holder breaches the entry conditions (for example, if he/she engages in work-related activities), the stay permit will be revoked and he/she will be prohibited from entering Thailand in the future.

For more information regarding Special Tourist Visa (STV) please click here 

» Visa and Certificate of Entry procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to enter Thailand for Tourism purposes (thaiembdc.org)

4 minutes ago, Faz said:

The STV allowed one entry of 90 days, followed by a further 2 x 90 day extensions (90 - 270 days) without the requirement to cross a border (closed).

From the article, it suggests the cabinet have approved to extend the 'program'. If it purely meant to extend the deadline date for further 90 day extension applications, most existing tourist still in Thailand on an STV would almost certainly have already extended at least once - so why mention a 1 year extension to the program, unless the Thai Embassies are going to offer the STV again.
The MFA regulate the Thai Embassies and the Visa types they offer, whilst the Immigration Bureau deal with internal Immigration procedures, such as the 90 day extensions.

Both Government departments need to be officially notified, which is usually via pony snail express.
There has been no official announcement as yet by either Immigration or the Thai Embassies.
Everything takes time to go through official channels in Thailand, the term 'urgent' is non existent.

I'd send the Bangkok Post article to the Thai Embassy London for comment - it may be the first they've heard about it and you may get a definitive answer.

The Thai Embassy, Washington DC appear to have received the update:
3) Special Tourist Visa (STV)

(Special Tourist Visa (STV) will be in effect until 30 September 2022)

The following conditions are for applicants who wish to apply for a Special Tourist Visa (STV)

• STV is valid for a single entry into Thailand for long-term tourism purposes only.
  • STV is valid for 3 months from the date of issuance. Travelers must enter Thailand within the said 3-month period. They will be allowed to stay in Thailand for a period of up to 90 days, counting from the date of entry. STV may be extended twice while the visitor is in Thailand for a period of up to 90 days per each extension.
  • STV cannot be changed to any other type of visa during the duration of stay in Thailand.
  • If the STV holder breaches the entry conditions (for example, if he/she engages in work-related activities), the stay permit will be revoked and he/she will be prohibited from entering Thailand in the future.

For more information regarding Special Tourist Visa (STV) please click here 

» Visa and Certificate of Entry procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to enter Thailand for Tourism purposes (thaiembdc.org)

Thanks for this Faz, clearly one of the helpful good guys👍🏻. Encouraging to see it in the Embassy in the US. I recall earlier changes such as the Sandbox and COE process which took the London embassy a few days to catch up. Fingers crossed, as this would serve my purpose perfectly I feel. I’ll let it ride until early next week and see what happens. I only just emailed them yesterday, 20 mins before I read about the STV to enquire about a few things.

Thanks again 👍🏻 

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Thanks for this Faz, clearly one of the helpful good guys👍🏻. Encouraging to see it in the Embassy in the US. I recall earlier changes such as the Sandbox and COE process which took the London embassy a few days to catch up. Fingers crossed, as this would serve my purpose perfectly I feel. I’ll let it ride until early next week and see what happens. I only just emailed them yesterday, 20 mins before I read about the STV to enquire about a few things.

Thanks again 👍🏻 

The STV was introduced to cater for tourists that wanted to stay up to 9 months in Thailand and had no other options because of being:

- under 50 years of age;

- not married to a Thai national.

I would recommend that you carefully compare the conditions for the STV with the requirements for the 3 other options I suggested you. 

I am quite confident that in your case, the STV is NOT the ideal solution... but each to his own of course.

13 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

The STV was introduced to cater for tourists that wanted to stay up to 9 months in Thailand and had no other options because of being:

- under 50 years of age;

I would recommend that you carefully compare the conditions for the STV with the requirements for the 3 other options I suggested you. 

I am quite confident that in your case, the STV is NOT the ideal solution... but each to his own of course.

Difference of opinion with your analysis on that one @BlueSphinx

The STV was introduced to replace the METV which became unworkable when borders closed.
You could previously stay for almost 9 months on the METV as a tourist (under 50, not married to a Thai) with 2 border runs. The STV just eliminates the need for border runs to extend your stay for the same period of time.

The only downside to the STV against the METV is the fact the 400/40K Health Insurance is mandatory for the STV, but if you offset the costs of 2 return border trips and Visas to enter an adjoining Country, I'll bet there isn't much difference in cost.
https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Products/Documents/Universal - Long Stay VISA OA with Deductible Feb 2020.pdf

15 minutes ago, Faz said:

Difference of opinion with your analysis on that one @BlueSphinx

The STV was introduced to replace the METV which became unworkable when borders closed.
You could previously stay for almost 9 months on the METV as a tourist (under 50, not married to a Thai) with 2 border runs. The STV just eliminates the need for border runs to extend your stay for the same period of time.

The only downside to the STV against the METV is the fact the 400/40K Health Insurance is mandatory for the STV, but if you offset the costs of 2 return border trips and Visas to enter an adjoining Country, I'll bet there isn't much difference in cost.
https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Products/Documents/Universal - Long Stay VISA OA with Deductible Feb 2020.pdf

You also need to take into account that some (not all) Immigration Offices when you apply for the 90-day extension of your STV, require you to have valid 400K/40K health-insurance for that 3 month extension (which wouldn't be a problem when you did subscribe to a 1-year policy), but some even require that you have 100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance coverage for those 3 months extension. 

Another downside of the STV is that you cannot apply from that one for the 'change Visa' process.  So at the end of the max 270 days the STV can provide you, you have no option but to leave Thailand.

1 hour ago, BlueSphinx said:

- under 50 years of age;

Thanks @BlueSphinx  I will certainly sit down and make the careful comparison. I’m not looking to travel until the new year and so time is not pressing. Cheers 👍🏻

16 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Another downside of the STV is that you cannot apply from that one for the 'change Visa' process.  So at the end of the max 270 days the STV can provide you, you have no option but to leave Thailand.

Agreed, but @Soidog clearly stated he only stays up to 150 days a year.

• Like 1