News Forum - Nearly 200 police have been found guilty of misconduct so far this year

Thaiger

4 minutes ago, Rain said:

Is it ever a wonder why young teen guys have a great desire to be joining up. 

It's a secure club with financial benefits. Set for life. 

Even more financially rewarding than a monk's Wat existence. 

🥰

1 minute ago, gummy said:

Not sure if it is more rewarding than a Thai Monk. Cash in hand ( which in theory they are not supposed to touch) every week and no ledgers audited.  Even the RTP have to be more circumspect with their cash "donations"

Close run thing but I would opt for the police easier to extort large sums of money, them temple envelopes just don't hold as much threat as a plastic bag...🤣

10 minutes ago, Fanta said:

There are approximately 230,000 officers in the RTP. Nearly 200 officers found guilty of misconduct this year. Do the math…. 

230,000 - 200 = 228,000 officers more circumspect in hiding their extortion/bribery/other criminal rackets

Good enough maths for you ? 😉

4 minutes ago, gummy said:

230,000 - 200 = 228,000 officers more circumspect in hiding their extortion/bribery/other criminal rackets

🥴 don't tell me you were a teacher before retirement. A colleague of Greg Davies maybe?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

🥴 don't tell me you were a teacher before retirement. A colleague of Greg Davies maybe?

I was which is exactly why the maths was wrong. Wondering who would pick it up first

1 hour ago, Griff1315 said:

Close run thing but I would opt for the police easier to extort large sums of money, them temple envelopes just don't hold as much threat as a plastic bag...🤣

Don't know about that. 

The Saffron Mafia[s] are less than legendary - but very real and very profitable.

Lotsa secret shenanigans behind the orange curtains that might make police activities look like kids play.

1 minute ago, Rain said:

Don't know about that. 

The Saffron Mafia[s] are less than legendary - but very real and very profitable.

Lotsa of secret shenanigans behind the orange curtains that might make police activities look like kids play.

Don't mention kid's play as that will wake the Catholic Priests up 😄

2 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

Was that 200 from one police station....🤪

Yes. But there were only 65 recorded as serving there.

I am expecting to read shortly that a mistake has been made. No officers were found guilty of anything, and the 200 reported cases, were actually Only Fans members dressed in "sexy uniforms".

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, gummy said:

Actually, it's 229,800. But who's counting?

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

In some countrys police arrest robbers, stand over, drug dealer and murderer.

In Thailand police are robbers, stand over, drug dealer and murderer.

That's why there is little petty crime the actual gangsters are in uniform and those scams are reserved for them. Went to the wedding of a fairly big chief in Bangkok for 500 folk all opulent, pretty much money no object and flew with some of the party down south to Hat Yai. He checked his pistol in before the flight and got it back when we landed. Years ago it was rumoured the price to be Pattaya's Chief of Police was north of 100 million baht !

Chuan Leekpai was on the same plane and I recognized him and gave him a wai and told him he was the best PM Thailand had ever had (a lie but compared to the Generals he was a giant) - he roared with laughter and said to his party in greatest English - this farang guy is smart ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, atiger said:

There's no risk for corrupt police when the punishment is "transferred to an inactive post".

Exactly what I was thinking. Year after year cops in Thailand (and elsewhere) literally get away with crimes that they arrest others over but all that happens is a transfer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Yinn said:

Not relevant. We are discussing convictions, and ensuing prison sentences. Anyone placing bets of what the chances are of a conviction, and imprisonment here? Since this case is so high profile, they may have to give him a short sentence, then let him out early. Or give him a long sentence, then let him out super early, or without anyone knowing about his release. 

If you do an online search, it is hard to find more than a few cases in the past decade, where any policeman was convicted of a crime, and sentenced to jail time here. It is nearly unheard of in Thailand. Quite the opposite. The official mandate seems to be to PROTECT corrupt cops, rather than go after them. 

Anyone know what these guys are good for?

c1_1531050_180830191610_620x413.jpg

Edited by dmacarelli

9 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

Not relevant. We are discussing convictions, and ensuing prison sentences. Anyone placing bets of what the chances are of a conviction, and imprisonment here? 

Gee, you ever watch the news?
Or just imagine everything yourself.

Many case police go to jail. Some big one 

eg. Jumpon Munmai, former deputy police chief and former deputy secretary-general of the Bureau of the Royal Household

https://www.bbc.com/thai/thailand-39227907

I think you will deny, like the last link I show you 7 police IN jail. Not your narrative right?

366252BF-28FF-43E0-BFFE-FEB4E747AAD4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

eg. Jumpon Munmai, former deputy police chief and former deputy secretary-general of the Bureau of the Royal Household

I think you will deny, like the last link I show you 7 police IN jail. Not your narrative right?

OK. 7 police in jail. Out of how many? 230,000 officers. And how many are straight arrows? 

Are you honestly saying corruption is not condoned here, and the police are not protected? Really? 

You first post....

19 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

Has a single one gone to prison? Even one? Likely not.

I answer for you. Your question. 

Then...

1 hour ago, dmacarelli said:

Not relevant. We are discussing convictions, and ensuing prison sentences

So I give you more. 

Now..

13 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

Are you honestly saying corruption is not condoned here, and the police are not protected? Really? 

Er, no. Where I say that???

I just answer your first question. 

Have many police go prison. Watch the news. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

I just wouldn't go there......