Poppies Restaurant & Beach Bar - Chaweng

KaptainRob

Poppies Restaurant is firmly established as one of the leading restaurants on the island, where you can dine under the stars overlooking the beach in an open sided thatched 'sala', or in the magnificent Ayuthaya style solid teak pavilion beside the pool.  The bar has the most awesome view overlooking a pristine beach and across clear blue waters to the horizon.

AM-JKLUzZDeWkXLnKJ9arnloGyysykh0DRcCASHXqQe9rJQ1VHxoXj6uGVI-sIRHqCkNBG-2Xb-H1y5s7umqngJ2zLX8OxHYaPF2Fqu1VohnRzW50g4iwViWZ3Akm3cfNQ6lTqzrB9etOKGbLKB9TJXnle3E4Q=w1343-h1007-no?authuser=0

What also makes Poppies a must visit location, even if one isn't booked into their luxurious resort accommodation, is the extensive tropical garden with rock-pools.  Visitors may pass through reception and out to the gardens or, by invitation and especially when raining, be shown through the 'secret' tunnel which services the kitchens.

AM-JKLViVA3TEn38Ob3bMJ2DnE1oDcALOomfR61ZYbPkV2PMaFL2u0QW-NNNpws1NJ3SI-ZduV0agbLrxcooSpLt-1ATuTt3MJm-2PJAIG6c2U1urHB74c17Z7iiMtPlwpsThdH99axVtkjWPMCAEfuaRKe6Xw=w1343-h1007-no?authuser=0

http://www.poppiessamui.com/en/poppies-restaurant-koh-samui.html

I highly recommend Poppies bar for evening drinks or a romantic interlude, especially on the beach, at sunset.  The food menu is extensive and my only criticism was the Thai dishes did not achieve balance, too sweet or too salty for my tastes.  That may have been a one-off and there's plenty of choice on the menu for International dishes anyway.

AM-JKLX3Re_mOmGe_qTWCKOB3qojTYS3_k0Pr5-7P5-TkZfriRBikk_CV9xOxFeF_WOboZsL76vRQMtuDj5bQKYxqQXHqTpKZsmiCahPIe_iJFmHXvSrlTDQ7gDLSBZiRpsofHy5Ad4FvpMPueFCWJSiDs2OLg=w1344-h1007-no?authuser=0

• Cool 1

41 minutes ago, palooka said:

Beautiful place, must visit some time.  

Do you know the history of Poppies and in Kuta Bali?

I didn't know about Poppies when I was in Bali but read this small historical excerpt when visiting Koh Samui.

AM-JKLXest5ConGo2xz09HioZe78cvDSoRLHRJ2yVMC4NcjyZf7YoR6WgyHE3DNlh5hsuGTGkUoFJ6WyN4Yx6fYSaRAflrFcdK0RhJde4mGi2V9jpzx0BnQggL9pGNqIqNs03OYQ_OMFEVLV1jobCkJnkC0_xQ=w1920-h834-no?authuser=0

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

I knew Zenik, met her about 1970-71 in Bali, extraordinary woman, started with a bamboo lean to shelter  with 2 tables in Kuta Beach.  At the time there were only two restaurants to eat in Kuta, one on the main road to Denpasar and Zeniks'.  She had suspicious fires trying to burn her out, too popular. Small error in the attached signage she was from Java with one parent Balinese, this she told me personally and the woman didn't lie. Well never to me. Javanese and Balinese didn't appreciate each other in those days.

(Mind they didn't appreciate the Chinese either which is a part of Balinese history glossed over.) 

If Zenik met you once she remembered your name. Her food was good and she spoke good English everything a tourist looks for . Bali was a "hippee" destination no big hotels etc, one at Sanur and the buses came every evening to see the sunset. Zenik and her English gardener partner established the Poppies Restaurant Kuta, beautiful gardens and decor, from memory his name was John but memory starting to fail me these days. Went on to have lots of business interests, beach houses, farms (Strawberry) and others all over the island of Bali. Loved by employees as she looked after them and their families. Heard about Koh Samui but have never had the opportunity to visit, did visit the Strawberry Farm up in the mountains of Bali, No humidity slept like a baby, most relaxing week I've ever had.  On my own which may have had something to do with that.

Haven't crossed paths with her and her partner for some 40 odd years but hope they are well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 8:37 PM, KaptainRob said:

Poppies Restaurant is firmly established as one of the leading restaurants on the island, where you can dine under the stars overlooking the beach in an open sided thatched 'sala', or in the magnificent Ayuthaya style solid teak pavilion beside the pool.  The bar has the most awesome view overlooking a pristine beach and across clear blue waters to the horizon.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLUzZDeWkXLnKJ9arnloGyysykh0DRcCASHXqQe9rJQ1VHxoXj6uGVI-sIRHqCkNBG-2Xb-H1y5s7umqngJ2zLX8OxHYaPF2Fqu1VohnRzW50g4iwViWZ3Akm3cfNQ6lTqzrB9etOKGbLKB9TJXnle3E4Q=w1343-h1007-no?authuser=0

What also makes Poppies a must visit location, even if one isn't booked into their luxurious resort accommodation, is the extensive tropical garden with rock-pools.  Visitors may pass through reception and out to the gardens or, by invitation and especially when raining, be shown through the 'secret' tunnel which services the kitchens.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLViVA3TEn38Ob3bMJ2DnE1oDcALOomfR61ZYbPkV2PMaFL2u0QW-NNNpws1NJ3SI-ZduV0agbLrxcooSpLt-1ATuTt3MJm-2PJAIG6c2U1urHB74c17Z7iiMtPlwpsThdH99axVtkjWPMCAEfuaRKe6Xw=w1343-h1007-no?authuser=0

http://www.poppiessamui.com/en/poppies-restaurant-koh-samui.html

I highly recommend Poppies bar for evening drinks or a romantic interlude, especially on the beach, at sunset.  The food menu is extensive and my only criticism was the Thai dishes did not achieve balance, too sweet or too salty for my tastes.  That may have been a one-off and there's plenty of choice on the menu for International dishes anyway.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLX3Re_mOmGe_qTWCKOB3qojTYS3_k0Pr5-7P5-TkZfriRBikk_CV9xOxFeF_WOboZsL76vRQMtuDj5bQKYxqQXHqTpKZsmiCahPIe_iJFmHXvSrlTDQ7gDLSBZiRpsofHy5Ad4FvpMPueFCWJSiDs2OLg=w1344-h1007-no?authuser=0

I've heard the "too sweet" problem can happen when Thai cooks remove the spicyness from dishes. Did you order it spicy? What dishes did you try? 

As for too salty that can be bad cooking or personal preference. A local restaurant to me with rave reviews has what I consider inedible levels of salt in some dishes.