Quotes that guide your life and ones you just like using!

Smithydog

"Long you live and high you'll fly, and smiles you'll give, tears you'll cry and all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be..."

Pink Floyd DSOTM 

"Hump em and dump em"  - my father. Who has been married to my mum for 53 years. 

"Those who don't know how to manage money will always work for those who do" my grandfather but I think he copied it.

Both have proven to be very good financial advice.

• Like 1

"Living in the Future is a lot like living with bees in your head. But there they are." - The Firesign Theatre (an American absurdist comedy troupe along the lines of Monty Python on LSD.)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A few upbeat affirmations to start the day.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius power and magic in it.

A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.

As for affirmations.

The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen.

• Like 1

Neat thread.  I maintain a Word file on my computer desktop to save quotes I come across, because like a good joke, can never remember them.   Here are a few of my favorites.

• “Don’t take refuge in the false security of consensus.” ~ Christopher Hitchens
  • “How the righteous love to bemoan their role in middle-management, and condemn those who might actually have an effect on the world”. ~ Frank Underwood/House of Cards
  • "Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners."~ George Carlin
  • "Owning and learning from your mistakes is better than faking perfection" ~ Elon Musk
  • “The malice of the wicked is reinforced by the weakness of the virtuous” ~ Winston Churchill
  • Like 2

Movie quotes.

Just cause people wanna eat the burger doesn't mean they wanna meet the cow.

These two can be used as general guidelines. 

If I am going into a sh-t storm, I need to know which way the wind is blowing. 

When did Noah build the ark? Before the rain, before the rain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 3:56 AM, Faraday said:

"Everything passes. Nobody gets anything for keeps. And that's how we've got to live."

I think the Herpes virus might take issue with that statement 😁

• Haha 3

"The Bushmen in the Kalahari Desert talk about the two 'hungers'. There is the Great Hunger and there is the Little Hunger. The Little Hunger wants food for the belly; but the Great Hunger, the greatest hunger of all, is the hunger for meaning..."

Laurens van der Post

Avalon; a Thanksgiving weekend film and part of a trilogy. A good chuckle about the tech menace. Not a bad film, a few lines with dual meanings on life, mortality. 

If I knew things would no longer be, I would have tried to remember better.

If you stop remembering, you forget.

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2021 at 7:38 PM, Smithydog said:

We often find ourselves quoting others or using quotes from other people to support our views and opinions. Some of us may even have a couple of quotes they find helpful in guiding their lives. Here are some funny and serious quotes I have often used.

“Common sense is like deodorant. The people who need it most never use it.” - Anonymous

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.” - Groucho Marx

“I prefer not to think before speaking. I like being as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.” - Anonymous

“The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.” - Bill Waterson 

But my personal top 3 ones that help drive my life are:

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln

"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Nelson Mandela

What are your favourites. Share them with us. Just remember to quote who they were from!

I came across a bunch of Thai idioms. Can't say they're exactly words to live by, but I found them insightful and fun:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thai_language_idioms

"By the time the beans cook, the sesame seeds have burnt." (Don't be indecisive :-))

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vince said:

I came across a bunch of Thai idioms. Can't say they're exactly words to live by, but I found them insightful and fun:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thai_language_idioms

"By the time the beans cook, the sesame seeds have burnt." (Don't be indecisive :-))

Thanks for posting the link. Yes, they're all very interesting.

• Cool 1

After watching the third season of After Life with Ricky Gervais, I saw this meme.

Wonder if people will understand?

5e0751309832f.jpeg